Carey Price

Meller93

So far this season, Carey Price has showed up as the same Price we got last season. Thats a far cry from the elite goalie we grew accustomed to. Prices recent level isn’t even that of an average goalie; he’s sub par. All of this at 10+ million for the better part of the next decade.

There is obviously huge cause for concern there, but my question is this: Do you think Carey Price will ever regain his elite form, or at least return to a top tier goalie? And if not, how much trouble is that contract going to cause the team moving forward?

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

There is obviously huge cause for concern there, but my question is this: Do you think Carey Price will ever regain his elite form, or at least return to a top tier goalie? And if not, how much trouble is that contract going to cause the team moving forward?

No, above averaqe form is likely though. Low/Moderate concern,  I dont think his play wont drop off like a Gomez did and he could still play for long time.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

So far this season, Carey Price has showed up as the same Price we got last season. Thats a far cry from the elite goalie we grew accustomed to. Prices recent level isn’t even that of an average goalie; he’s sub par. All of this at 10+ million for the better part of the next decade.

Hes slumped before when Halak took his job, or the lockout season and the loss to ottawa.  He always bounced back.

I think he will again.

Hes 31.  Not old enough to think this slump is him being washed up.

Will he ever be the hart winner of 2014 again l?  Probably not.  Thats too high a level for anyone to sustain.  But can he be an top tier elite goalie? Yes.

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hes slumped before when Halak took his job, or the lockout season and the loss to ottawa.  He always bounced back.

I think he will again.

Hes 31.  Not old enough to think this slump is him being washed up.

Will he ever be the hart winner of 2014 again l?  Probably not.  Thats too high a level for anyone to sustain.  But can he be an top tier elite goalie? Yes.

I hope you're right. Is it possible that injuries have damaged him a bit, though?

It's not a slump at this point, it's a season and change. Panic is not warranted, but concern is.

This D right now is playing so loosey goosey that they are allowing 4 goals or more no matter who is in net. So lets put the pitch forks away for awhile longer, until I see these goalies letting in softy after softy, instead of watching this defense allow time and space like its on a black Friday deal, I will be blaming the structure in front of the net, and not the ones in the net for now.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hope you're right. Is it possible that injuries have damaged him a bit, though?

It's not a slump at this point, it's a season and change. Panic is not warranted, but concern is.

The halak thing was a full season too.  And the lockout year was pretty long

There is only so much a guy can do with the D in front of him. When the D is playing good price plays good and the out come is usually a win. When the D is playing bad so does price. Yes price has let in some soft goals but you can't just look at the end result, you need to see what lead up to that result.

People are right. Defense is the main problem here goaltending is the secondary issue.

Petry as much as he is trying is just playing too many minutes and is not a #1. He seems like he can’t hit the broad side of a barn either which is why we saw Reilly on the first wave a couple times.

Benn is in the same boat he’s a decent 3rd liner but should not be playing top pair, he doesn’t have the mind or smarts for it. Limit his minutes and he can still be effective.

Alzner is literally a pylon, should be sent down when Weber returns.

Glad to see Schlemko back I think him and Petry could make a decent second line. With Mete and Juulsen on the third. This should bring the core back into a situation where they are giving the goaltending some help.

• Upvote 1

I think there are a couple of things going on here. First of all this team is playing a different style than they used to. Most games are run and gun style now where we typically played a trap system in the past. The defense pinches much more than ever and that leaves opportunity for the other team to get chances on us.

Secondly we have a very young defense that shows signs of great things but also does some really bad things! not to mention that we have a #4 Dman (Petry) and a #6 Dman (Has been Benn alot) as our first pairing. I also see Price as similar to Peyton Manning of the NFL - very technical and they both rely on the other team members to do their jobs correctly. Manning looked like the best quarterback ever to play at times and an absolute disaster at other times. If everyone picked up their assignments and the receivers ran their routes correctly then Manning would move the ball up the field with incredible precision. If they failed to do things the way they were supposed to then Manning looked like a horrible quarterback. I see Price the same way, a very technical goalie that relies on the defense to pick up the right players and the forwards to support correctly and this is not happening right now.

Niemi isn't fairing much better!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sbhatt said:

If it's truly between his ears, he needs to be ordered to mandatory shrink sessions ASAP

This is what scares me too though. Sometimes I feel like the mental issues are worse than the physical. But if Price can sort things out and it’s truly just “all in his head”, then there’s no reason he can’t be an elite goalie again

45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think there are a couple of things going on here. First of all this team is playing a different style than they used to. Most games are run and gun style now where we typically played a trap system in the past. The defense pinches much more than ever and that leaves opportunity for the other team to get chances on us.

Secondly we have a very young defense that shows signs of great things but also does some really bad things! not to mention that we have a #4 Dman (Petry) and a #6 Dman (Has been Benn alot) as our first pairing. I also see Price as similar to Peyton Manning of the NFL - very technical and they both rely on the other team members to do their jobs correctly. Manning looked like the best quarterback ever to play at times and an absolute disaster at other times. If everyone picked up their assignments and the receivers ran their routes correctly then Manning would move the ball up the field with incredible precision. If they failed to do things the way they were supposed to then Manning looked like a horrible quarterback. I see Price the same way, a very technical goalie that relies on the defense to pick up the right players and the forwards to support correctly and this is not happening right now.

Niemi isn't fairing much better!

Not to digress, but calling Petry a number #4 isn’t giving him a whole lot of credit. Sure he’s not a #1, ideally slots on the second pair, but Petry steps up as an honest #2 d man when he’s needed

11 hours ago, Metallica said:

There is only so much a guy can do with the D in front of him. When the D is playing good price plays good and the out come is usually a win. When the D is playing bad so does price. Yes price has let in some soft goals but you can't just look at the end result, you need to see what lead up to that result.

A few years ago ... our D might have been disastrous at times, but Price would shut the door and give us a chance to win the game. Not infrequently he would carry the team, like Roy did, and Dryden before him. Yes, a solid defence corps always helps, but an elite goalie (as opposed to just a good goalie) should help mitigate the shortcomings of the defence, not drop down to their level.

At the moment, Price is not playing better than Niemi. But the fact his salary is 15x Niemi's says that we should be able to expect much more than that. An elite goalie needs to make the clutch saves, bail out his defence (at least from time to time) and give the team the confidence they need to win.

Price isn't there today. I agree with the Commandant that he has come out of this before, and he should be able to do this again. But the Cucumber is right, too: while it's not a panic situation, concern is certainly warranted. Some of those past slumps have been quite long.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

This is what scares me too though. Sometimes I feel like the mental issues are worse than the physical. But if Price can sort things out and it’s truly just “all in his head”, then there’s no reason he can’t be an elite goalie again

Elite goalies are consistent, like Luongo who had one 20game shortened season with .907%, but all other years, even on shitty Florida teams his save % still was respectable and .920% over 1,000 starts (Price 570gms .918%).

Price over last 60 some games, has been over 3.00 and under .900%...hope is just has been a long slump.:spamafote:

12 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Not to digress, but calling Petry a number #4 isn’t giving him a whole lot of credit. Sure he’s not a #1, ideally slots on the second pair, but Petry steps up as an honest #2 d man when he’s needed

Agreed.... Advanced stats wise petry is easily a top 30 (and somewhere from 20-25) dman in the nhl.  Thats a bottom tier #1 dman, or an outstanding #2.

Even by the eye test and moving petry down from those lofty stats, i can only think of 2 teams where petry would be their 4th best dman... san jose and nashville.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:47 PM, Link67 said:

This D right now is playing so loosey goosey that they are allowing 4 goals or more no matter who is in net. So lets put the pitch forks away for awhile longer, until I see these goalies letting in softy after softy, instead of watching this defense allow time and space like its on a black Friday deal, I will be blaming the structure in front of the net, and not the ones in the net for now.

Completely agree. I was at the game against Buffalo on Thursday night, and the defence was very loose. They couldn't clear rebounds, on 2 on 1's the defenseman is supposed to take the passing lane away, that never happened.

Yes, Carey is struggling and haas been for over a year now, but the defensive brigade in front of him has to do a way better job!

Benn / Petry shouldn't be a top pairing defense. They're both bottom 4 , this has been the D for about a year now and people wonder why Price isn't playing as good. When he was having his MVP year there was a lot of shots on him but mostly from the outside as a lot were being blocked, and the D core did a good job boxing players out of the front of the net.   These guys now have a hard time boxing people out and they tend to leave people out in the slot open do to bad covering. Even Roy had bad years on the bad habs teams he played on.

• Upvote 1

Patrick Roy has never played bad on the habs a stretch of more then 100 games like this current Price streak.

-this season to date 2018/19

-all of last season 2017/18

- 6 playoff games

- final stretch of 2016/17

Let’s stop blaming the Defense for everything and making excuses for  Price. He has been awful plain and simple... regardless of the D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Patrick Roy has never played bad on the habs a stretch of more then 100 games like this current Price streak.

And I think this is the point: the consistency of an elite goalie.

Price had one year early one (2010-2011) and later four years (2013-2017) when he was nearly unbeatable, with an average save percentage of almost .930. It started dropping in late 2017, last year was .900 and now we are below that.

Dryden never had a season worse than .906 (and even then the Habs had a 30-9-16 record with him in the net!) and after 1992-1993, Roy never dropped below .907 in nine (!) seasons.

Price is not a hall-of-famer, so I would not compare him to hall of fame goalies.

He is being paid a lot, because of the market he plays in and the taxes and because the CH does not have another goalie to replace Price (the 2016 version) any time  soon.

I think Carey should be able to turn it around, and hover around his career averages (.920, 2.5 GAA); but I doubt he does that this year given the poor defense in front of him.

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Price is not a hall-of-famer, so I would not compare him to hall of fame goalies.

He is being paid a lot, because of the market he plays in and the taxes and because the CH does not have another goalie to replace Price (the 2016 version) any time  soon.

He's not, but it would be very unusual for an active goalie to be one. He's being paid like a future fall-of-fame goalie.

The nhl average save percentage has dropped from .915 last year to .908 early this year.

Price needs to be better yes.  But there are a few goalies around the league struggling right now. (Fleury, Bobrovsky, Holtby, Talbot, Rask, are high profile names with awful numbers so far).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

The nhl average save percentage has dropped from .915 last year to .908 early this year.

Price needs to be better yes.  But there are a few goalies around the league struggling right now. (Fleury, Bobrovsky, Holtby, Talbot, Rask, are high profile names with awful numbers so far).

.915 to .908 is massive