Carey Price

Meller93

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

It was low in October last year too (I cant' remember exactly what) and slowly upticked over the year.  I expect the same though not sure it will get back to 915

Is there an explanation for this drop in save %? Equipment changes? Increased league-wide emphasis on speed?

Regardless, it remains true that Price has not been great. I take no consolation from the parallel to 2010, since at that point he was still a young guy who had been brought up too soon and was struggling to put it all together. Not do I accept that his being 'just OK' is any kind of balm (not that this is your claim). If Crosby went through a season as a 40-50 point guy, then started a new season on the same pace, legitimate questions would be raised, especially if he'd had major knee issues in the past. Again, I'm not panicking, but I am concerned. Even here in distant Vancouver, it has become common fan knowledge that he's not what he was. Any psychological edge he once had is gone. He needs to get it back, and this organization cannot be chained to a contract like that for an average goalie, if it ever wants to contend.

-Fleury started this season as almost single handily dragging his team through the playoffs and winning the cup...

LY 2.24GAA .927%

not comparable

Brobovsky

LY 2.42GAA .921% 37 wins 

Just missed Vezina nomination after winning it the year prior... top 3 in Sv% 5on5 and is currently in a battle wanting to get paid ala  price.

Just won 3 straight... convincingly!

(I have him in fantasy hockey, he’s a beast)

Holtby

LY 2.99GAA  .907%

Was great when needed and won the bloody cup!

Talbot

Should not even be on this list!! He sucks!

Rask

2.36GAA .914% 34 wins LY

back stopping a top team in the NHL 

Good in the playoffs

not a problem

Carey Price

-the worst goalie in the Nhl playing more then 20 games LY!

-continuing on the same trajectory TY

-Not to mention his bad play actually started  late the season prior and into the playoffs when he was owned by Henrik Lunquist and the Rangers.

This is not a concern anymore but an actual issue.

im scared!

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is there an explanation for this drop in save %? Equipment changes? Increased league-wide emphasis on speed?

Regardless, it remains true that Price has not been great. I take no consolation from the parallel to 2010, since at that point he was still a young guy who had been brought up too soon and was struggling to put it all together. Not do I accept that his being 'just OK' is any kind of balm (not that this is your claim). If Crosby went through a season as a 40-50 point guy, then started a new season on the same pace, legitimate questions would be raised, especially if he'd had major knee issues in the past. Again, I'm not panicking, but I am concerned. Even here in distant Vancouver, it has become common fan knowledge that he's not what he was. Any psychological edge he once had is gone. He needs to get it back, and this organization cannot be chained to a contract like that for an average goalie, if it ever wants to contend.

I was thinking the exact same thing with the Crosby comparison. I actually think its worse; it’s somewhat comparible to Max Pacioretty dropping from an Elite LW to a 10 point pace guy. I mean Prices numbers are fringe goalie numbers. 

Now I do think both Max and Carey will rebound, but become elite again? I’m definitely concerned. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A few factors

1) October has traditionally been the highest scoring month of the NHL season. 

2) Powerplays are way up in efficiency, and slightly up in frequency. 

3) More and more players have taken specialiazed skills coaches (especially shooting coaches) in the summer.  this is improving their skill.  Previously players had trainers to stay in shape in the off-season, now there is an emphasis on skills development, leading to more offence. 

4) Equipment.

5) Teams have more skill on them in general with the reduction of goons and other players who can't skate. . this leads to more skilled players in the bottom 6/bottom pair defence, etc...

There are probably more factors we can point to as well. 

-------

As for Price... I'm not defending his play.  He's been poor since the Boston game.  (He had a .922 save percentage on the season after that game).  He's been brutal in the last 4 games.    Overall, on the season, this makes him below average.  That said, a number of other starting goalies are below average right now.  But yes, he's Price and that is concerning, no doubt. 

And sure if you don't want to talk about 2010... that's fine... but then there is 2013 as well, when Price was a .905 goalie

Given the history, I think he'll bounce back, its just a matter of when it will happen. 

5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

-Fleury started this season as almost single handily dragging his team through the playoffs and winning the cup...

LY 2.24GAA .927%

not comparable

Brobovsky

LY 2.42GAA .921% 37 wins 

Just missed Vezina nomination after winning it the year prior... top 3 in Sv% 5on5 and is currently in a battle wanting to get paid ala  price.

Just won 3 straight... convincingly!

(I have him in fantasy hockey, he’s a beast)

Holtby

LY 2.99GAA  .907%

Was great when needed and won the bloody cup!

Talbot

Should not even be on this list!! He sucks!

Rask

2.36GAA .914% 34 wins LY

back stopping a top team in the NHL 

Good in the playoffs

not a problem

Carey Price

-the worst goalie in the Nhl playing more then 20 games LY!

-continuing on the same trajectory TY

-Not to mention his bad play actually started  late the season prior and into the playoffs when he was owned by Henrik Lunquist and the Rangers.

This is not a concern anymore but an actual issue.

im scared!

I never talked about what any of these players did last season.  I said they are struggling now.

This season

Fleury .895

Bobrovsky .913

Holtby .900

Rask .901

Talbot .895 (as much as you say he sucks, he's a career .917)

More Starting goalies

Mike Smith .877

Jake Allen .879

Matt Murray .886

Martin Jones .900

Crawford .901

Anderson .905

Quick .845

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

More Starting goalies

Mike Smith .877

Jake Allen .879

Matt Murray .886

Martin Jones .900

Crawford .901

Anderson .905

Quick .845

Antti Raanta ($4M/year) .929

Pekka Rinne ($5M/year) .951

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I think Commandant still has a point considering he listed 11 goalies well below expectations. There are obviously going to be examples here and there that don’t fit the trend 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I never said every goalie is playing poorly

I said Price is playing poorly and so are a number of other starters around the NHL

I don't see what the relevance is to saying some goalies are playing well.... I never denied that

Still doesn't change the fact that league wide save percentage has dropped from 915 last season to 908 in October 2018

And none of this is to say Price's play is acceptable.  Its not.  His current 892 is still crap.

The question is if he can come back from this.  I think he (and most of the goalies I've listed) can

Oh and when Carey Price had his bad play and was "owned by Henrik Lundqivst and the Rangers"

That is revisionist history.

Here are the facts about the 2017 playoffs:

- Price had a .933 save percentage and a 2.24 GAA in that series.  Don't confuse the Canadiens inability to score on Lundqvist as Price playing badly in their net... He was excellent in that series.  The team didn't score. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This team sucked last year when they were caught in their zone. Same this year.  Only thing i can see there is Price either freeze the puck or pass the puck.

He is good at deflecting shots but his defense is not able to recover the puck effectively.  Other teams are playing the deflection against him now with a good shot and go after the defense before he can even react.

So i think if he freezes the puck more it slows down the game more energy to his players and less goals against.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, Commandant said:

Oh and when Carey Price had his bad play and was "owned by Henrik Lundqivst and the Rangers"

That is revisionist history.

Here are the facts about the 2017 playoffs:

- Price had a .933 save percentage and a 2.24 GAA in that series.  Don't confuse the Canadiens inability to score on Lundqvist as Price playing badly in their net... He was excellent in that series.  The team didn't score. 

Lundqvist finished the series with a 1.70 goals-against average and a .947 save percentage.

We should not be confused of the fact he lost the series to the better of the 2 goalies. It was not as if the Rangers out gunned us offensively. They out goal tended us!

Montreal couldn't score but it wasn't due to lack of offensive chances. Even more so then the Rangers.  The habs outplayed the Rangers significantly through the course of those 6 games. Lunquivst was greater than his counterpart.

Not to mention he was on a downward trajectory before the playoffs had started and has been free falling ever since!

i was wrong. we should be comparing Talbot and Price at this point. there stats are similar over 100+ games

but the fact we are comparing this seasons slow starts of the season from brobovsky and holtby and fleury ( 2 PLayoff finalists last season) and arguably the best goalie over the last 4 seasons who happens to be quarrelling with team on contract issues is laughable...

Price has been bad for a long time now. nobody has been this bad by comparison.

on a side note i picked up Domingue in fantasy hockey

17 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Lundqvist finished the series with a 1.70 goals-against average and a .947 save percentage.

We should not be confused of the fact he lost the series to the better of the 2 goalies. It was not as if the Rangers out gunned us offensively. They out goal tended us!

Montreal couldn't score but it wasn't due to lack of offensive chances. Even more so then the Rangers.  The habs outplayed the Rangers significantly through the course of those 6 games. Lunquivst was greater than his counterpart.

Not to mention he was on a downward trajectory before the playoffs had started and has been free falling ever since!

i was wrong. we should be comparing Talbot and Price at this point. there stats are similar over 100+ games

but the fact we are comparing this seasons slow starts of the season from brobovsky and holtby and fleury ( 2 PLayoff finalists last season) and arguably the best goalie over the last 4 seasons who happens to be quarrelling with team on contract issues is laughable...

Price has been bad for a long time now. nobody has been this bad by comparison.

on a side note i picked up Domingue in fantasy hockey

1) He doesn't play head to head with Lundqvist. 

The goalie isn't taking shots on the other goalie. 

If Lundqvist plays great in the other end, (and no doubt he did), that isn't Price's fault.  That is the shooters on the Habs not being good enough. 

I can't blame a goalie with a .933 save percentage in a series for losing.  He gave his team every opportunity to win the series.  That they didn't is not the goalies fault, its the players in front of him.

2) The downward trajectory did not start before the 2017 playoffs.  That is again revisionist history. 

Did he play shitty last season? sure.   Has he been shit this year? Yes.  His last 4 starts in particular have been a disaster (he had a .922 save percentage after the Boston game). 

But that doesn't mean we need to say 2016-17 was a bad season... it clearly wasn't. 

• Like 1