Nov. 13, Canadiens vs Oilers, 9 PM

dlbalr

You guys serious with the goaltending? He let in some bad goals for sure, but my God what defensive trainwreck of a game? How many high danger lateral plays and two on ones can you give a team? This game was defensive trash.

7 minutes ago, Metallica said:

So do we blame this lose on price too? ? just wondering 

Nope.  Niemi sucking is a seperate issue from Price sucking.  The D sucking is a related issue, but when factoring in the softies both Price and Niemi both seem to let in, not nearly enough to exonerate the goaltending.

27 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Nope.  Niemi sucking is a seperate issue from Price sucking.  The D sucking is a related issue, but when factoring in the softies both Price and Niemi both seem to let in, not nearly enough to exonerate the goaltending.

Is it soft goals do to lack of effort? Or is it soft goals do to missed coverage and bad clearing attempts?

15 hours ago, Athlétique.Canadien said:

@ Commandant, Mitch Melnick just said that Niemi's record versus Edmonton career wise is over .600. Granted he was with the Mighty Hawks for a time but still, it's maybe worth noting.

I've always laughed at career stats against X team.

As if today's performance have anything to do with how you played against X team 9 years ago.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Metallica said:

Is it soft goals do to lack of effort? Or is it soft goals do to missed coverage and bad clearing attempts?

No defence prevents 100% of the shots 

When you force the shots to be poor scoring chances, the goalie has to make the save.

I don't blame Niemi at all for the 2nd goal or the last goal, those are on the defence.  All the others are weak goals that an NHL goalie has to save

I stayed up to watch the game and fell asleep before the third: Thank God for that! It would have given me nightmares

Juulsen played without confidence out there, and Mete was overwhelmed again. The whole D corp was bad, Schlemko looking around as the Oilers buzzed ni their zone. But I also remember that the forwards were playing too high, eager to go on the attack and rarely supporting the D. It appeared that CH players had their face pinned to the boards far too often.

Niemi was good though two periods... I do not know how bad he may have been in the third.

That being said, this is how I expected the team to play this year. The positive is that they are scoring consistently while having a rookie 3rd line center in Kotka that is not producing too many points. He is learning the game and making progress, but his line is not a scoring threat every night. The forwards are a positive this year and will get better.

I think that on D, the CH can try to squeeze anything they can get from the Weber-less group. I am fine loosing for a better 2019 draft pick because of this D; as long as out D prospects get better

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

having a rookie 3rd line center in Kotka that is not producing too many points. He is learning the game and making progress, but his line is not a scoring threat every night.

Kotkaniemi is tied for 5th in rookie scoring...i think your expectations must be too lofty?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Niemi was good though two periods... I do not know how bad he may have been in the third.

Good through two periods?

If Price had given up the first goal (bounce off the backboards that he lost that went off him and in) and the third goal (caggiula bad rebound and then letting a bad shot go through him) we'd be lambasting him (and rightly so). 

Two bad goals against in 40 minutes is not "good through 2 periods".

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Kotkaniemi is tied for 5th in rookie scoring...i think your expectations must be too lofty?

He's also scoring plenty for a third line centre so that complaint also doesn't make sense. 

the Habs have the most 5v5 goals of any team in the league.  Clearly the depth scoring here is not an issue. 

I'd also add that Kotkaniemi has made a number of passes that should have been goals and his wingers haven't finished as he doesn't have the best wingers with him.

PP, defence, goaltending.... those are the issues right now. 

I hadn't checked the league stats, so yes I was too critical of the 18 year old. That's fair 

For Niemi, I thought he was good for a backup, he gave two bad goals but made some great

saves later. Overall he was fine before the 3rd

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't expect a backup to give up 1 bad goal per period.

Niemi is inconsistent, he is good on break aways but bad when flopping around: he doesn't recover his positioning very well.

The bounce from the board is one example, and the goal on the high rebound are examples. Also on the two Draisailt posts he was moving and ws lucky. But when he had time to position himself and see the puck he was combative and more good than bad.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's also scoring plenty for a third line centre so that complaint also doesn't make sense. 

Woaw! I hadn't seen that he is on pace for a 12g 35pts season and a good possession stats!

I thought he was an upgrade on what we expected from Pleks, Peca or Delarose at the beginning of the season. But I had not looked at his stats so far (am am waiting until after game 20).

I guess earlier I was trying to say that he has not scored on all the chances and that lately he seemed to have been out-muscled 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

PP, defence, goaltending.... those are the issues right now. 

Exactly. Those are the issues game in and game out for this team.  A game shape Weber helps all 3 to some degree, but I think the D will still need an upgrade when he's back based on what I'm seeing out of Alzner, Schlemko, and Benn most nights.