Nov. 21, Habs vs Devils, 7 PM

dlbalr

8 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

On the positive spin. This might be the only blowout game the Habs have had this year. 

Regroup on to the the next one, this will show how strong our leadership group is. Hopefully win the next two division matches.

8 days ago...

Well, I was praising Ouellet, Benn and most of the D earlier on. They have been just terrible for a few games now.

I liked seeing Kotka on the top line, and Danault on the third line. Sign of things to come.

After a game like this, a first reaction is to hope they send Jesperi to the world juniors and that they keep this defense group to "loose for hughes"... but on second thought, I just want the team to get better and to build on the younger group

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, I was praising Ouellet, Benn and most of the D earlier on. They have been just terrible for a few games now.

I liked seeing Kotka on the top line, and Danault on the third line. Sign of things to come.

After a game like this, a first reaction is to hope they send Jesperi to the world juniors and that they keep this defense group to "loose for hughes"... but on second thought, I just want the team to get better and to build on the younger group

Gotta pray Juulsen and Weber heal quick and that Kulak (call him up and send Mete to Laval) is a better option than what they are using.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The defence is bad.  No doubt about that.

The forwards need to tighten up the coverage in their own end as well though.  Its not all on the defencemen.

Yup, on at least 1 goal the d-man had 2 guys to contend with in front of net.

Of Oulette, Reilly, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko, which would even be playing on any other team? Could be a very long season for Price, even with Weber back and playing fine.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Of Oulette, Reilly, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko, which would even be playing on any other team? 

Reilly as a fringe 4th and Benn & Ouellet as bottom pairs. They could help other teams.

The CH needs a "real" top LD plus Weber

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yup, on at least 1 goal the d-man had 2 guys to contend with in front of net.

Of Oulette, Reilly, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko, which would even be playing on any other team? Could be a very long season for Price, even with Weber back and playing fine.

Reilly can play

Benn is fine as a third pair defence (but we have him higher than he should be)

Ouellet is a 7th at best.  this is a guy Detroit, who has a shit D let go.  He's likely more an AHLer than even a 7. 

Alzner is no longer an NHL player. 

Schlemko currently is not an NHL player.  That said he just came back from injury, he might be a #6 like Benn if he gets into a groove... but that remains to be seen. 

Mete needs to be in the AHL developping.

When everyone is healthy, this would be how it ideally lines up.

_______ - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Benn - Juulsen

Schlemko

Mete getting ready to callup.

So there is one HUGE hole there, and its the same one we've had for a while.

• Upvote 1

Reilly was #7 for the wild, granted that team has a very good D core. 

I wouldnt say he is top 4. 

I like Mete and juulson when healthy at 5 and 6. 

Schelmko, Benn are 6 and 7's on a good top 4, 

'

Alzner has the worst contract in the league, not even a 7 at this point

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

_______ - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Benn - Juulsen

Schlemko

Agreed, but I am torn between: (a) trade to get a top pair LD to maybe win now, or (b) trade Petry for an equivalent left D and build for 2-3 years from now

How far has Mete's stock dropped? Remember all the breathless stuff at the start of last season about how he might be a rookie prodigy? Now we're having trouble picturing him as top-4. 

I don't see any quick fixes for the D, myself. 

No reason for a quick fix. They are having a decent start, but they won't make the playoffs with this defense. 

They need to stick with getting younger, more picks and prospects. 

Tatar is having a good year and will get a 1st, don't see 1st 2nd and 3rd like vegas did for him, but he still has value. 

Petry is interesting, you could certainly trade him and he would generate a lot of interest. 

Schlemko and benn are no brainers. 

Sounds like from reading Fluery and Brooke are the best D prospects. Doesn't sound like either are close to NHL ready. 

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How far has Mete's stock dropped? Remember all the breathless stuff at the start of last season about how he might be a rookie prodigy? Now we're having trouble picturing him as top-4. 

I don't see any quick fixes for the D, myself. 

I still think he's a future top 4

I think right now he has not shown growth in his puck moving and his offensive game. He is working so hard to play well defensively and playing so safe and such a different style than he did in London that its removed the puck carrying ability that makes him a good defender. He's small and fast so getting trapped in his zone is a problem. Part of him playing better defensively would be moving the puck up the ice

I think he needs a couple months in the AHL to get his confidence back to make plays with the puck and not be afraid to skate it out of his end or through the neutral zone

When he's doing that again, we will see the guy we saw at the start of last season

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Reilly can play

Benn is fine as a third pair defence (but we have him higher than he should be)

Ouellet is a 7th at best.  this is a guy Detroit, who has a shit D let go.  He's likely more an AHLer than even a 7. 

Alzner is no longer an NHL player. 

Schlemko currently is not an NHL player.  That said he just came back from injury, he might be a #6 like Benn if he gets into a groove... but that remains to be seen. 

Mete needs to be in the AHL developping.

_______ - Weber

Reilly - Petry

Benn - Juulsen

Schlemko

What would it take to pry Sami Niku from the Jets ?  Read some good things about him.

20 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

What would it take to pry Sami Niku from the Jets ?  Read some good things about him.

Probably a pretty good prospect (he's vastly outperformed his draft slot) but he's not going to solve Montreal's short-term defensive woes.  He's up with Winnipeg but they've decided they prefer to play Joe Morrow over him which says to me that he's not ready yet.

On a separate note, who is taking the GDT for this afternoon's game?

5 hours ago, Toronthab said:

Burp

The great thing about this comment is that it provides at least as much insight as 85% of the professional paid commentators out there. ?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Probably a pretty good prospect (he's vastly outperformed his draft slot) but he's not going to solve Montreal's short-term defensive woes.  He's up with Winnipeg but they've decided they prefer to play Joe Morrow over him which says to me that he's not ready yet.

No games for the Jets yet; 12 games with the Moose, and then sitting in the stands in Winnipeg.

He's definitely not a top-two defenceman for us, at least not yet. But the Jets have more depth at D than we do, so he might actually be able to find a place in our line-up. And it would leave us only one D-man short of being able to put a full set of Finns on the ice ... :lol: