Habs Defense

PMAC

12 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

The problem with "staying with the course", is that dmen usually take more time to develop than forwards.

You're better of drafting your dmen first and then your FW, IMO.  So they peak around the same time.

So yeah,  like you say,  it would be very nice to add some young and promising LD to take  1st pair duty pretty soon.

If a young player is available.  Sure.

Dont give up youth for a guy in his 30s though.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If a young player is available.  Sure.

Dont give up youth for a guy in his 30s though.

Tatar, Mete and a 2nd for a yong LD.   :D

We've found our new  Halak, Ryder and a 2nd.

To solve the D depth problem for a cup run:

(1) is it better to trade for another 1st round draft in 2019 and develop depth at D line we did in 2018 for centers?

(2) or is it better to move "Mete, Tatar and a Second" for a LD now?

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To solve the D depth problem for a cup run:

(1) is it better to trade for another 1st round draft in 2019 and develop depth at D line we did in 2018 for centers?

(2) or is it better to move "Mete, Tatar and a Second" for a LD now?

Me, I would wait. Even with a top-notch LD we would not be a cup contender. I would rather cultivate our prospects (or even trade for more prospects) in the hopes that we will have a strong team for a number of years in the early 2020s.

• Like 1

If we trade Mete and Tatar then we have a forward depth problem to replace the LD problem. Far better to develop Mete unless Bergevin can do a Petry type deal at the deadline

No way am i offering up our best D prospect at the moment (Brook)  or arguably our best C prospect (poehling) for jake Muzzin. IDon’t think MB Would have those 2 on the table either... not after giving up schergachev for a winger. Right now Brook is set to lead Canada’s defence in the WJC and is arguably the best defender in all of junior hockey... Poehling is another monster in the NCAA and is also going to lead the line for the US in a scoring role this year...

could fleury or Harris plus scherbak or Vjademo and one of our 2nd round picks get it done? If im LA both defenders offer upside and with the  Kovalchuk signing currently not living up to the hype. Scherbak could be a a viable option to a team searching for goals...

again im only speculating on a team that will to trade with us. And with the recent talk of LA?MTL dealing for patches... maybe there is something to be had here.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

No way am i offering up our best D prospect at the moment (Brook)  or arguably our best C prospect (poehling) for jake Muzzin. IDon’t think MB Would have those 2 on the table either... not after giving up schergachev for a winger. Right now Brook is set to lead Canada’s defence in the WJC and is arguably the best defender in all of junior hockey... Poehling is another monster in the NCAA and is also going to lead the line for the US in a scoring role this year...

could fleury or Harris plus scherbak or Vjademo and one of our 2nd round picks get it done? If im LA both defenders offer upside and with the  Kovalchuk signing currently not living up to the hype. Scherbak could be a a viable option to a team searching for goals...

again im only speculating on a team that will to trade with us. And with the recent talk of LA?MTL dealing for patches... maybe there is something to be had here.

Not even close.  Again, it makes no sense for the Kings to take a collection of depth/fringe prospects for Muzzin.  I agree that the Habs shouldn't deal Poehling or Brook for Muzzin but that's fair value for a proven top-four d-man that has another year left at a below-market contract and the type of return they're going to be looking for.  If they can't land a first round pick and something else (and Montreal shouldn't be moving their first either), they'll rightfully hold onto Muzzin and look to move him in the summer or as a rental where he'll still have high value. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Not even close.  Again, it makes no sense for the Kings to take a collection of depth/fringe prospects for Muzzin.  I agree that the Habs shouldn't deal Poehling or Brook for Muzzin but that's fair value for a proven top-four d-man that has another year left at a below-market contract and the type of return they're going to be looking for.  If they can't land a first round pick and something else (and Montreal shouldn't be moving their first either), they'll rightfully hold onto Muzzin and look to move him in the summer or as a rental where he'll still have high value. 

We're not a team that can contend for the cup, so I wouldn't make any major trades that gives up our top prospects. I would just wait till July 1st and see who's there that could help up grade our back end.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I brought up those players cause Pierre Lebrun has mentioned Poehling as a name that the Kings would likely seek for Muzzin.... 

I agree with you, the Kings aren't selling cheap. 

This is not the year to sell picks, prospects to bolster this line up. Maybe trade a winger and "stuff" in off-season for a LH d-man.

Or are many good young LH d-men coming up for UFA status in July?

When it comes to trades and moves we have to be willing to improve always... as long as the price is right 

Slavin would be fantastic with Weber. Signed long term, he would cost a fair amount. most likely one of our C's. Muzzin will not.

Maybe throwing future dollars at Karlsonn/Schmitt/Myers/Ellis  even Gardinar in the UFA market next summer is the answer? Edmundson is an RFA?

For now, what we should do is send Mete down when Byron comes back. He could build up some much needed confidence... he can then return to play on the 3rd pair with Juulsen in the 2nd half of the season

Reilly Weber

Kaluk Petry

Schlemko Benn

-insert Juulsen for Benn when he returns.

we cant possibly risk another player gets picked up on a waiver claim. You think Agostino passes through waivers? Maybe Chaput does but Agostino has played well since being called up.

Scherbak still is listed on IR?

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I brought up those players cause Pierre Lebrun has mentioned Poehling as a name that the Kings would likely seek for Muzzin.... 

I agree with you, the Kings aren't selling cheap. 

Poehling is a pipe dream for Muzzin

1 hour ago, DON said:

This is not the year to sell picks, prospects to bolster this line up. Maybe trade a winger and "stuff" in off-season for a LH d-man.

Or are many good young LH d-men coming up for UFA status in July?

The UFA option would be optimal, especially if we still have cap room and budget available next summer.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

When it comes to trades and moves we have to be willing to improve always... as long as the price is right 

Slavin would be fantastic with Weber. Signed long term, he would cost a fair amount. most likely one of our C's. Muzzin will not.

Maybe throwing future dollars at Karlsonn/Schmitt/Myers/Ellis  even Gardinar in the UFA market next summer is the answer? Edmundson is an RFA?

For now, what we should do is send Mete down when Byron comes back. He could build up some much needed confidence... he can then return to play on the 3rd pair with Juulsen in the 2nd half of the season

Reilly Weber

Kaluk Petry

Schlemko Benn

-insert Juulsen for Benn when he returns.

we cant possibly risk another player gets picked up on a waiver claim. You think Agostino passes through waivers? Maybe Chaput does but Agostino has played well since being called up.

Scherbak still is listed on IR?

Schmidt/Ellis are signed long-term so scratch them off the free agent list.  Myers and Karlsson are right-side d-men so they're probably off the table as well.  I could see Gardiner being a target though - he'd be a good complement to Weber.  It's a thin market for good left-shot defencemen though so the contract won't be pretty.

Mete has been sent down for now with Byron off IR which I agree is a good idea.

I think Agostino would pass through unclaimed again.  He has played well but he is a 26-year-old fourth liner and most teams have those in abundance already.  Chaput is waiver-exempt for now until he gets to 10 games played or 30 days on the roster.  Scherbak is still on IR for now but considering he's been practising in full the last few days, he's probably close to being activated.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Poehling is a pipe dream for Muzzin

Muzzin has reached 40 more points in three of the last four seasons.  I think you're significantly underrating him, especially since he's on a cheap contract for another year after this one to boot.  He's a #2/3 d-man on most teams and it's going to cost a lot to get him.  Poehling is not a pipe dream from LA's point of view - they can get better value than that if they move him now.   It's a seller's market for impact d-men and Muzzin is at the top of the list of those available.  They're getting a first rounder plus something else or they're not moving him.

35 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Forgot about Nate signing out of suspension... Ellis in the summer?

i dont think muzzin is the guy im giving Poehling up for is all...

Ellis extended for 8/50 back in August.  Josi's the next to sign and he's already said he'll take less to stay in Nashville so their big four will be intact for a while.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to move Poehling for Muzzin from Montreal's perspective.  I think we pretty much all do given where they are in terms of their 'rebuild that they don't want to call a rebuild'.  However, that's what it's going to take to get him so the focus may have to shift to someone not quite as good (or to someone that's under team control for longer where it may be justifiable to part with a top prospect).

Continue with the plan, 

get younger, more picks and prospects trade the vets. 

How nice is the potential center pool now, 

Koko

domi

Poehling

suzuki 

Danault

The swede they drafted last year and Ikonon

Need to upgrade d prospects for sure

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Forgot about Nate signing out of suspension... Ellis in the summer?

i dont think muzzin is the guy im giving Poehling up for is all...

To much for Ellis, good offense ; but, even with the beard he seems to get pushed around alot in own end (like Mete). SO no thanks at $6+m/yr.

One thing I do know: it would be insane - clinically insane - to move youth for an older d-man in order to "get better now." Now if you want to talk about trading a young FW for a young D, then sure, that makes sense in principle.

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

Could we get a discount on Muzzin by taking Kovalchuvk back in a deal w/o LA retaining salary?

I doubt it.  Muzzin is their best trade chip so I can't see them taking less than top value by tossing Kovalchuk in there.  I honestly think there's a market for Kovalchuk so I don't think they'd need to do that anyway.

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I doubt it.  Muzzin is their best trade chip so I can't see them taking less than top value by tossing Kovalchuk in there.  I honestly think there's a market for Kovalchuk so I don't think they'd need to do that anyway.

Desjardins doesn't like Kovalchuk. He has been benched like crazy. Even though Desjardins says it's because of line matching. 

In sure they'll get a new coach before they make any moves.