Scherbak on waivers, claimed by Los Angeles

dlbalr

What I don’t like is that they waived a 22 yr old kid  who never got a fair shake in the nhl. Sure bits and pieces Equaling 26 games of Nhl games. But he was able to show flashes of quality in the nHL at times.

-he was starting to catch on last year before getting hurt...

-he’s played great in the AHL for stretches

-injuries have derailed his development somewhat

personally I would of waived all of Deslauriers 28/ chaput 26/ agostino 26 before Scherbak. We don’t even know what we gave up yet? Has he played a game in a top 6 role?

Maybe he does well and maybe he doesn’t. The issue here is we did not give the kid a chance at all...

• dlbalr changed the title to Scherbak on waivers, claimed by Los Angeles

Great pickup for the Kings. 

54 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What I don’t like is that they waived a 22 yr old kid  who never got a fair shake in the nhl. Sure bits and pieces Equaling 26 games of Nhl games. But he was able to show flashes of quality in the nHL at times.

-he was starting to catch on last year before getting hurt...

-he’s played great in the AHL for stretches

-injuries have derailed his development somewhat

personally I would of waived all of Deslauriers 28/ chaput 26/ agostino 26 before Scherbak. We don’t even know what we gave up yet? Has he played a game in a top 6 role?

Maybe he does well and maybe he doesn’t. The issue here is we did not give the kid a chance at all...

While I'm a bit skeptical that Scherbak will take off given that he seems to fit a well-established pattern of guys who 'show flashes' but never amount to squat, I will concede that you've got an excellent point about Agostino. (Deslauriers and Chaput bring distinctive qualities that Scherbak does not, so I can see the hockey case for keeping them over him; but Agostino looks like the quintessential marginal NHLer. Why keep him over Scherbak?)

The only explanation is that either MB or Julien, or both, did not like Scherbak. And this probably had more to do with his 'attitude' or perhaps his country of origin, than what he might be able to bring to the table as a player. I do hope this isn't yet another case of MB getting rid of guys for arbitrary reasons, i.e., 'I don't like this punk.'

I believe there is racism in this organization. Someone does not like Russians. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I am convinced of at this point. They should have given him a chance or sent him down preseason when he would probably have cleared. I hope he does well in LA and MB looks like a fool for this. 

10 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I believe there is racism in this organization. Someone does not like Russians. Maybe I am wrong but that is what I am convinced of at this point. They should have given him a chance or sent him down preseason when he would probably have cleared. I hope he does well in LA and MB looks like a fool for this. 

They offered Markov a contract

They offered Radulov a contract

Emelin got selected in the expansion draft

Galchenyuk is American

They picked Romanov in the draft 

Where exactly is the racism towards Russians? 

Let's not confuse an underachieving player who didn't even impress his coach in the AHL with racism

• Upvote 1

I never even got invited to try out... and you guys trust this management! Ask yourself this... is there a conspiracy afoot in Montreal against top drawer players after hip surgery? Uh-huh. Thought so. :angry:

22 minutes ago, illWill said:

They offered Markov a contract

They offered Radulov a contract

Emelin got selected in the expansion draft

Galchenyuk is American

They picked Romanov in the draft 

Where exactly is the racism towards Russians? 

Let's not confuse an underachieving player who didn't even impress his coach in the AHL with racism

I agree. Even if you were to count Galchenyuk as a Russian, the Max Domi sure didn't look like a "let's dump the Russians" desperation move from my point of view.

We've consistently had 3-4 Russians on our roster for the last five years or so. I don't think that was because they particularly loved Russians, or because they hate them now. They are trying to get players that can (and will) perform for us, and those players may be Russian, or they may not be.

If we look at the first-round draft choices for the past 10 years, there have been only 20 Russians selected. That's about 6% of the total, not very high at all. And only 30-odd players born in either Russia or USSR have played a game this season, not much more than one per team. Not having a Russian on the roster at the moment really isn't unusual at the moment.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

An agent has made the claim before. 

https://www.tsn.ca/agent-blames-julien-for-fewer-russians-on-habs-galchenyuk-s-struggles-1.896907

Not saying I support the claim, just saying it's been discussed re Julien and Russians. 

I also posted that some of the journalists traveling with the team (Dubé?) saw that the Russians didn't show they cared about loosing at the end of the 2016-217 season and that the decision not to offer Emelin and Markov was in part due to that.

When I think one of them (Markov?) got married only a few from the team showed up

It was later reported in La Presse that there was a f*-- off attitude from Radulov, Markov, Emelin, etc

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I also posted that some of the journalists traveling with the team (Dubé?) saw that the Russians didn't show they cared about loosing at the end of the 2016-217 season and that the decision not to offer Emelin and Markov was in part due to that.

When I think one of them (Markov?) got married only a few from the team showed up

It was later reported in La Presse that there was a f*-- off attitude from Radulov, Markov, Emelin, etc

F off attitude was to the French presse. The real problem is there. 

Russians have been shipped out of Montreal for years and the French press plays up their conecyions to mob etc. Offering Markov crap not offering Radulov anything until after free agency. Not protecting Emelin all good examples. Thanks illWill for those great points. Not signing Kovalev another great one. Nothing to do with current management I think. Higher up

I’m not saying we lost a diamond and I’m not saying we lost a flip... 

My point is that the kid was drafted in the 1st round. Has dominated in the AHL for a stretch. Suffered a bit with injuries that slowed his development and was never really given a roll of the dice in the NHL. The few games he did get, he was able to show flashes of what he could be (potential). At the end of the day he’s only 22.

agostino 26

chaput 26

deslaurier 28

-I believe all would of cleared waivers

-you know what your getting

-we still don’t know with Scherbak which is why he’s worth keeping.

Most likely, MB and Julien saw enough of him to believe he would never pan out or just isn’t what they are looking for in a player... not enough “character” very bad “attitude”..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I’m not saying we lost a diamond and I’m not saying we lost a flip... 

My point is that the kid was drafted in the 1st round. Has dominated in the AHL for a stretch. Suffered a bit with injuries that slowed his development and was never really given a roll of the dice in the NHL. The few games he did get, he was able to show flashes of what he could be (potential). At the end of the day he’s only 22.

agostino 26

chaput 26

deslaurier 28

-I believe all would of cleared waivers

-you know what your getting

-we still don’t know with Scherbak which is why he’s worth keeping.

Most likely, MB and Julien saw enough of him to believe he would never pan out or just isn’t what they are looking for in a player... not enough “character” very bad “attitude”..

Most saw enough of him to realize he wont be a difference maker.  A solid AHLer is likley tops for him, then maybe a mediocre KHL player.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Most saw enough of him to realize he wont be a difference maker.  A solid AHLer is likley tops for him, then maybe a mediocre KHL player.

Chaput, Agostino and Deslauriers won't be difference makers either

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

So if you have four marginal players and you need to get rid of one, which one do you choose? Attitude and work ethic will factor into that choice.

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So if you have four marginal players and you need to get rid of one, which one do you choose? Attitude and work ethic will factor into that choice.

Scherbak has more upside than any of those players, and for once I'll use the age argument in that he's much younger than the others. Those elements should factor into the decision. Chaput won't be on the team long term. Agostino will likely end the year with two goals, regardless of how many games he plays. Deslauriers I'm alright with, but he's still a healthy scratch candidate during the playoffs for a few games every series.

Scherbak's stats in the NHL are ugly but they still average out to a 15 goal season and he's more likely to get better than to stagnate or get worse. He could be a 10-15 goal scoring 3rd liner or a 15-25 goal scoring top 6 player. More upside than Chaput, Agostino, Deslauriers. Sure we can bring up their defensive abilities but they're not absolutely amazing in that area either. They're all career minus players.

27 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Scherbak's stats in the NHL are ugly but they still average out to a 15 goal season and he's more likely to get better than to stagnate or get worse. He could be a 10-15 goal scoring 3rd liner or a 15-25 goal scoring top 6 player. More upside than Chaput, Agostino, Deslauriers. Sure we can bring up their defensive abilities but they're not absolutely amazing in that area either. They're all career minus players.

The trouble this year is that he was not playing like a 15 goal 3rd liner and would have been a liability for Kotka's development. I really wanted him to be that guy, but he never showed he could be.

A much less talented Hudon, at least tries. And the current 4th line holds its own now. With Suzuki and Poehling coming next year, Scherbak ran out of runway.

I would have liked the CH to pick up a 5th draft pick or a "journeyman" AHL backup goalie for Laval instead of nothing.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Not many 4th liners are. And since defending is Scherbak's worst skill, is irrelevant.

Who in the top nine did he deserve to send to pressbox?

You did watch pre-season, which he stank for 2nd year in a row. Did he seem motivated or even look like he gave a crap out there? He and McCarron seem to be just spinning their wheels and in same boat. Most must expect McCarron will be traded sooner than later for another 1st round bust, no?

5 hours ago, DON said:

Not many 4th liners are. And since defending is Scherbak's worst skill, is irrelevant.

Who in the top nine did he deserve to send to pressbox?

You did watch pre-season, which he stank for 2nd year in a row. Did he seem motivated or even look like he gave a crap out there? He and McCarron seem to be just spinning their wheels and in same boat. Most must expect McCarron will be traded sooner than later for another 1st round bust, no?

I don't think anyone would have claimed Delauriers or Agostino or Chaput on waivers... or Peca either (given his contract). 

I would have sent one of them down, instead of losing a young player for nothing. 

He's 22 and there is a still a chance that he would be able to get better, and could play in the top 9 if someone is hurt. I just think that even though he hasn't developped as hoped, there is more skill and upside in Scherbak than in those 3 guys. 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think anyone would have claimed Delauriers or Agostino or Chaput on waivers... or Peca either (given his contract). 

I would have sent one of them down, instead of losing a young player for nothing. 

He's 22 and there is a still a chance that he would be able to get better, and could play in the top 9 if someone is hurt. I just think that even though he hasn't developped as hoped, there is more skill and upside in Scherbak than in those 3 guys. 

I cant see the logic of anyone arguing this point. We essentially wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who is still only 22 and never given a shot at the NHL level. we developed him till now, had to endure his struggles and rehab from injuries only for another team to reap the possible rewards?

At least we can say,

-McCarron was given a chance, multiple chances actually.

-DeLaRose was given tonnes of games to establish himself as yet another example

-Hudon after years of decent hockey in the AHL gets his chance

But this kid while some unfortunate injuries played a role in his slower development, has shown a lot in the games he's played in the AHL, as well as flashes of brilliance at the NHL level as small as they were.

we all knew he was getting picked up and in fact didn't even get passed the first team able to claim him (LA)

For me, losing him to the waiver wire and then turning around and scratching deslauriers for tonight (who would have most certainly cleared) is an example of very bad mis management  

Not to mention that both Agostino and Chaput already cleared once this year?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Seems a common complaint for every player Habs cut loose and then nothing when that player flames out and ends up playing Euro hockey.

And exactly why...only Habs coaching staff know, so i have no complaints and cant say i would of done X or Y instead, because we know only part of story.

I think they knew their options, his age, attitude and chance for upside dont you?

7 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

We essentially wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who is still only 22 and never given a shot at the NHL level.

I get that you like Scherbak. But this horse is dead, and it's not going to wake up even if you keep beating it.

As for your comment, I will say that the draft pick was wasted the day they picked him: whether or not he might have made the team under different circumstances, it's very unlikely that he would have lived up to the expectations for a first-rounder. Six points in 26 games is marginal at best.

And we paid him for three-plus years in the AHL and NHL, so arguably he did have a chance to shine. Sorry that it didn't work out, but such is life.