Scherbak on waivers, claimed by Los Angeles

dlbalr

8 hours ago, DON said:

Seems a common complaint for every player Habs cut loose and then nothing when that player flames out and ends up playing Euro hockey.

And exactly why...only Habs coaching staff know, so i have no complaints and cant say i would of done X or Y instead, because we know only part of story.

I think they knew their options, his age, attitude and chance for upside dont you?

I don't assume that management always makes the right moves.  Why have a discussion board if all we are going to say is.... oh they knew their options and they knew the player, so they made the right choice... every time. 

Just because they are in NHL management, and they have the information, doesn't mean that they can't make a mistake. 

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I get that you like Scherbak. But this horse is dead, and it's not going to wake up even if you keep beating it.

As for your comment, I will say that the draft pick was wasted the day they picked him: whether or not he might have made the team under different circumstances, it's very unlikely that he would have lived up to the expectations for a first-rounder. Six points in 26 games is marginal at best.

And we paid him for three-plus years in the AHL and NHL, so arguably he did have a chance to shine. Sorry that it didn't work out, but such is life.

What are you even talking about? who said i liked Scherbak? I said management made a mistake by waiving a 22 yr old player that pretty much everyone believed would get claimed (and in fact was by the first bloody team able to claim him) What they should of done was waive a player that had already cleared this year and most certainly would have again like Chaput or Agostino... the knock is on the bad asset management and has NOTHING to do with what i think Sherbak will become actually.

as for his production...

6 points in 26 games last year broken up by 2 stints due to injury is marginal. BUT, 4 of those points were goals and 3 of them of the highlight reel. Pro rate that over 82 and its like 15 goals... which isnt really that bad for essentially a rookie.

he also got into 3 games the year prior and was able to light the lamp once!

in the AHL he had

30 points in 26 games before getting recalled for the 2nd time (1.15ppg)

41 in 66 games (0.62ppg)

23 in 48 games (0.47ppg)

over 3 seasons in the AHL marred by injuries

not to shabby with improvement year over year

theres a reason the first team on the board picked him up... its called potential...

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Just because they are in NHL management, and they have the information, doesn't mean that they can't make a mistake. 

Quite true. But they do have access to more information than we do. And sometimes they may have valid reasons for doing things that we may think are mistakes.

Was the Scherbak move a bad decision? Some people here think so. And yet the club's management made that decision. It could also be that based on what they know, it was the right decision.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Quite true. But they do have access to more information than we do. And sometimes they may have valid reasons for doing things that we may think are mistakes.

Was the Scherbak move a bad decision? Some people here think so. And yet the club's management made that decision. It could also be that based on what they know, it was the right decision.

Mike Milbury and Rejean Houle also had 'access to more information than we do.' And their decisions were moronic.

That's why fans can still debate and argue. Teams make mistakes.

Despite my original indifference - and I continue to doubt that Scherbak will amount to anything - this thread has convinced me that there was no hockey reason to let him go before a nothing player like Agostino. The trade presumably was based on 'information' about the guy's 'character.' Considering that this is the same management that saw PK Subban as some sort of 'problem,' I'm not too inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on those kinds of issues. But all that being said, while this does seem to have been a dumb hockey move, I doubt that it will come back to haunt us.

they had access to the information that he spent to much time at Chez Nikita with his bombshell girlfriend eating Nesquik cereal and homemade cookies while playing fortnite till the wee hours... like every other kid... 

i have that access to... its called social media

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

no hockey reason to let him go before a nothing player like Agostino.

Yes, one reason at least. Julien was just talking up Agostino, saying he liked what he was bringing.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Well, he didn't make a great first impression.  On his first shift with the Kings, Scherbak was slow in covering his guy and that player wound up scoring.

He made a good second impression though - he scored.

He has more upside than someone like Hudon or Lehkonen.

But he is worse than both on defensive assignments

I am happy for him that he found a home in LA, but I would not be surprised if he has the career Sekac had

On 12/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

(...) this thread has convinced me that there was no hockey reason to let him go before a nothing player like Agostino.

Agostino has seven points in fifteen games so far. I think that's better than nothing. It's certainly not at the level that we expected from Scherbak when he was drafted -- but then Scherbak himself hasn't shown performance at that level, either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

in the AHL he had

30 points in 26 games before getting recalled for the 2nd time (1.15ppg)

41 in 66 games (0.62ppg)

23 in 48 games (0.47ppg)

over 3 seasons in the AHL marred by injuries

not to shabby with improvement year over year

theres a reason the first team on the board picked him up... its called potential...

Potential, yes. But even in LA it looks like unrealized potential: he's been a healthy scratch in three of the last four games now.

I wonder if we'll claim him back.  If I'm not mistaken, a successful claim means that we're free to send him to Laval. (?)

50 minutes ago, lazy26 said:

I wonder if we'll claim him back.  If I'm not mistaken, a successful claim means that we're free to send him to Laval. (?)

If no one else claims him, yes.  If the Habs claim him but someone else behind them in the standings does as well, then they'd have to keep him up or re-waive him.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If no one else claims him, yes.  If the Habs claim him but someone else behind them in the standings does as well, then they'd have to keep him up or re-waive him.

Like McCarron, Ouellet, Lernout, etc. I would take Scherbak in the Laval team.

59 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why?

He isn't an nhl player. 

Why waste a move and go to the bottom of the waiver list. 

This isn't fantasy hockey

The waiver list in the NHL is based on the standings. (before November 1st its last year's standings).  You don't move to the bottom of the list by making a claim

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Why?

He isn't an nhl player.

He'd be a significant asset in Laval, a team that's down quite a few quality forwards at the moment.  They have plenty of contract space (44/50) so this was an opportunity to upgrade Laval for free.  It should have been taken, considering they need to make a few moves if they want their farm team to actually have a semi-realistic shot at a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2

Pretty clear they do not like this player.

It's all a big 'meh' for me - add him to the huge laundry-list of prospects many fans got excited about but never did diddly-squat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He'd be a significant asset in Laval, a team that's down quite a few quality forwards at the moment.  They have plenty of contract space (44/50) so this was an opportunity to upgrade Laval for free.  It should have been taken, considering they need to make a few moves if they want their farm team to actually have a semi-realistic shot at a playoff spot.

Sound thinking. I would have done it for sure!

unless, when he was picked up by L.A. he ran his mouth about how this and that. Then I would just run him into the boards every chance I would get in my 1st AHL game against him. Just saying he didn't seem like a "Rocket fire in eyes" type. Kinda Doh!nald sad if u ask me; he was kinda fun to watch when he wasn't doing an impression of the Artist (ha! impression).