HABS @ HAWKS, DEC 9, 18:00 ET

illWill

The issue with that is that as long as Danault is the matchup centre, then his line is going to play the same minutes as the other team's top line... where Kotka's line is always going to be matched against the other team's third line. 

This means that Gallagher and Tatar now get less minutes than Lehkonen and Byron.  

I'm not sure that is ideal

I also think that Julien wants at least one of Lehkonen/Byron/Armia beside Kotkaniemi to insulate against any rookie mistakes as they are strong defensively. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

The issue with that is that as long as Danault is the matchup centre, then his line is going to play the same minutes as the other team's top line... where Kotka's line is always going to be matched against the other team's third line. 

This means that Gallagher and Tatar now get less minutes than Lehkonen and Byron.  

I'm not sure that is ideal

I also think that Julien wants at least one of Lehkonen/Byron/Armia beside Kotkaniemi to insulate against any rookie mistakes as they are strong defensively. 

im sure a line of Lehkonan Danault Byron would be more then capable of playing the tough minutes against the top lines. As well as contribute on the score sheet. In fact I would wager they contribute more so then they do currently. This would essentially free up Gallagher and Tatar to be even more dynamic without having to nullify the other teams top line. You'd also have to consider the other team would try and shut down Domi and Drouin.  So with all this said, when playing at home, CJ could actually create some really good match up challenges for the other team trying to stop a dynamic line of Tatar and Gallagher with a much more offensively inclined Kotkaniemi  (who has shown already that he is not a liability in his own end and has good defensive awareness). I was preaching this change for a few weeks now. I've also noticed many pundits starting to discuss the change in recent days. And although it's not something that needs to be done imminently. I do believe it will be done before to long. 

Would you buy "the best offence is a good defence"?

The transition game off the rush from both Byron and Lehkonan after that line turns pucks over would be where the production i'm talking about would come from.