2019 World Juniors Thread

dlbalr

2019_-_WJHC_logo.png

The 2019 World Juniors get underway today and the Habs will be extremely well represented in this tournament with seven players (tied for the lead with Chicago and Philadelphia) participating and most of them project to play important roles.  Their prospects are as follows:

Canada: D Josh Brook, F Nick Suzuki

Finland: F Jesse Ylonen

Russia: D Alexander Romanov (he was among the first group of players officially registered even though they still have cuts to make)

Sweden: F Jacob Olofsson

USA: F Ryan Poehling, G Cayden Primeau

As always, we'll use this thread to discuss the tournament and how Montreal's players are faring.  I'll have the StatTracker up on the site later today showing the schedules for each player.

Nick Suzuki - I'm assuming he will be used on a scoring line so I'm expecting some production from him in this tournament.  Hopefully he establishes himself as a go to guy with the team.

Jesse Ylonen - Again I think he'll play on a scoring line as well so I have some expectations for him offensively.  That being said, the Finns look fairly deep so I would expect him to play more of a secondary scoring role.

Ryan Poehling - I have a feeling that he will get quite a bit of ice time, but I think he will be deployed as a shutdown guy and provide secondary scoring.  I still want to see some offensive production, but my expectations are tempered a bit.  Not worried if he doesn't dominate offensively.

Jacob Olofsson - Same as Poehling here.  I see some secondary/support cast type scoring as I feel he will be used as a shutdown guy and PKer.

Josh Brook - Not sure what to expect here.  Canada has a lot of depth on D and there are some more prominent guys on the right side.  He's a bit of wild card for me, he could be a big producer or he could end up being used sparingly.

Alex Romanov - I could see him being used sparingly.  I'm surprised that he was even invited (not because he didn't play well, but because he just didn't seem to be on the radar earlier in the season).  I'm hoping that he plays a consistent game and earns more ice time and the coaches trust as the tournament progresses.

Cayden Primeau - Like Brook, I think Primeau is a bit of a wild card for me.  I can't think of too many U.S. goaltenders that have stolen the show compared to other super powers of the tournament.  I'm interested to see how he fares at this level of competition.

Hopefully all the Habs prospects do well and even exceed expectations.

• Upvote 1

The Habs have three centres in this tournament.  Based on the preliminary lines, none of them are actually playing down the middle.  Poehling's a left winger on the top line for the US, Olofsson is RW1 for Sweden, while Suzuki has bounced back and forth between centre and right wing and will open the tournament on the right side.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Suzuki with an excellent pass to set up Canada's first goal vs Swiss

Brook with an excellent decision late in the game to kill time by skating the puck into the corner and keeping it there. Commentators couldn’t stop talking about it.

Kid plays with a veteran edge.

17 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Brook with an excellent decision late in the game to kill time by skating the puck into the corner and keeping it there. Commentators couldn’t stop talking about it.

Kid plays with a veteran edge.

Brook does everything well and at a fast pace. I think he's gonna be a stud

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Brook does everything well and at a fast pace. I think he's gonna be a stud

Bodes well for an NHL career that he’s the go to option to kill penalties, essentially being used as a shut down and transition guy, and get he drives his teams offence in the WHL

39 minutes ago, Chris said:

Dumb question on Brook, is he a LD or a RD, i believe i saw him playing both sides yesterday. 

He's a RD

However, he's been used at LD on this team as Canada has more RD than LD and they are still figuring out who should move over

He's better on the Right Side though

Holy moly!

Quite a 3rd period for Poehling. Down 4-0 he assists on 1st USA goal then scores the next three, two in last minute (2 within 13seconds) of game to tie.:1banana::clap:

But, Olofsson assists on GWG for Sweden in OT.

14 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Looks like the best player for the Americans.

Keep in mind he got a hat trick against the best defence in the tournament. Very promising.

Not only that, he got it in the most high pressure situation to tie the game up. Excellent positioning on all three goals. Great release on the third. It’s exciting for sure.

Suzuki also had a sweet setup in Canada’s game. It’s been a promising tourney so far