2019 World Juniors Thread

dlbalr

While watching this tournament I got to thinking about the breakdown of the nationalities of the Habs, and it seemed like they have a lot of players from Canada. So I looked it up and they actually have the most Canadians on their roster in the league, tied with St. Louis. What does this mean? Nothing really, just wanted to point it out. 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

While watching this tournament I got to thinking about the breakdown of the nationalities of the Habs, and it seemed like they have a lot of players from Canada. So I looked it up and they actually have the most Canadians on their roster in the league, tied with St. Louis. What does this mean? Nothing really, just wanted to point it out. 

And more Finns than Americans ... which really is unusual.

Under the category of something I've never seen before, Switzerland was awarded two penalty shots on the same play.  Their guy was on a shorthanded breakaway and was tripped up.  He got up, kept going, and got hauled down a second time by the same guy.  The initial call was a penalty shot and a two-minute minor but after a lengthy delay, they gave them the second penalty shot.  Two different Swiss players went and neither scored.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Under the category of something I've never seen before, Switzerland was awarded two penalty shots on the same play.  Their guy was on a shorthanded breakaway and was tripped up.  He got up, kept going, and got hauled down a second time by the same guy.  The initial call was a penalty shot and a two-minute minor but after a lengthy delay, they gave them the second penalty shot.  Two different Swiss players went and neither scored.

I was just about to come post

the same thing. This is a very entertaining game. 

Romanov picked up an assist on the game winning goal against Canada, but the pass was a formality in the neutral zone... Pavel Shen did all the work.

Still, nice of Romanov to put up some points this tournament.

I really liked what I saw from Suzuki tonight. His vision and patience is great. Funny what a year can do. Suddenly there are all these impact prospects and rookies in there system.  Side note. I thought my cousins kid brett leason had a fantastic game.  No points but probably his best game.  Though loss to the Russians. The goalie was really good.

Poehling scored for the US last night to take over sole possession of first place in tournament scoring.  With his assist yesterday, Romanov is now first overall in tournament scoring for defencemen.  Primeau allowed a goal in the victory but it was to Ylonen so that's okay.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Poehling scored for the US last night to take over sole possession of first place in tournament scoring.  With his assist yesterday, Romanov is now first overall in tournament scoring for defencemen.  Primeau allowed a goal in the victory but it was to Ylonen so that's okay.

I haven't watched a lot of the U.S.A games, but Poehling looks like a man amongst boys. I really think we found one in him. 

Primeau did well enough to earn the start in the quarterfinals today against the Czechs.  Sweden will have a full roster tonight so Olofsson won't have to drop back mid-game and play defence as he did against Kazakhstan.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Primeau did well enough to earn the start in the quarterfinals today against the Czechs.  Sweden will have a full roster tonight so Olofsson won't have to drop back mid-game and play defence as he did against Kazakhstan.

They've got Olofsson in the Dandenault role?  

Who do you guys think is the favourite for gold?  Seems like no team has really distinguished themselves.  Could Don Cherry be right that Canada's displeased the hockey gods by walloping Denmark so gratuitously?

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Who do you guys think is the favourite for gold?  Seems like no team has really distinguished themselves.  Could Don Cherry be right that Canada's displeased the hockey gods by walloping Denmark so gratuitously?

We can't say anything Don Cherry related on this forum. Haven't you heard?!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neech said:

This was just an emergency situation - they only had 5 healthy d-men so Olofsson started taking shifts on defence as the game went on.

11 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

What a disappointing finish. Wouldn't you select someone more dynamic for the penalty shot?  Comtois is more of a power forward. 

I didn't like the pick either.  I also wasn't a fan of the excessive usage of Smith-Dobson in OT.  I thought Brook and Mitchell were their best pairing in the game and they were basically benched in the OT.

Comtois' shot really didn't look like a very difficult one for Luukkonen.

Finland-Switzerland in one of the semis now, so one of them will make the final. I'd say odds favour Finland but the Swiss did just beat Sweden so ...

I think in the last two games, nerves got the best of them. They didn't look loose during offensive chances. A lot of good opportunities were whiffed where they should have been buried if they were looser. Defensive puck management was poor as well. Especially tonight.  

I agree that that penalty shot looked very limp. Disappointing. You get a chance like that, you gotta bag it.

It's interesting that both Switzerland and Finland score big upsets. Hard to infer too much from that, but maybe it suggests increasing parity?

For all the talent on the Finnish team, they have struggled to score, too, with only one marker each against Sweden and the US. Finland changed their youth coaching approach some years ago, to add more emphasis on individual skills, instead of the traditional team-based approach, and that has given us highly-skilled offensive players like Rantanen, Laine and Kotkaniemi. But it's not necessarily giving them more success as a team, at least not at the U20 level.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's interesting that both Switzerland and Finland score big upsets. Hard to infer too much from that, but maybe it suggests increasing parity?

Absolutely. There is little to choose from between the top five teams (Canada, US, Russia, Sweden, Finland) and the Czechs and Swiss are always a threat. Slovaks, Danes, Germans are more hit-and-miss but the absolute domination is long gone.

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think Finland winning qualifies as a big upset.  They're a pretty talented team (and that's even more impressive considering they're missing an entire line in Vesalainen-Kotkaniemi-Ikonen).