CANADIENS @ LIGHTNING, DEC 29, 19:00 ET

illWill

At least that was a fun game to watch.  

Can't blame Niemi for the winning goal, that was a precise snipe.  He made a few big saves as well, more than Vasi.  Tampa's a team that can turn it on halfway through a night where its goalie is a sieve and still pull it out.  Props to how hard our guys played.

Habs were scrambling in their own end for 5 minutes before that winning goal, but holy shit did anyone have confidence that Niemi was going to persevere tonight? Bergevin might as well call up Steve Mason and say "hey bud, just kidding about that buyout. You've been skating some, right?"

LEAGUE. AVERAGE. GOALTENDING.

PLEASE. 

• Like 1

What a hugely entertaining game! Niemi was definitely part of the entertainment, what with his hapless flailing about. The interesting thing is that, to my eye anyway, he didn't let in any real stinkers (OK, the fifth goal was weak) and yet he made even routine shots look like they had been boomed by Bobby Hull from 15 feet out. It was hilarious.

Kotkaniemi was very good. I thought Weber had a slightly off night, but really  hard to complain when the hockey is that much fun - even if the wrong team loses.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It was an Amazing game to watch :)

yet

I still am wondering even more now, then at the start of the season, If certain moves should be made to allow this year to be for the youth to start building on experience?

The Terrible year last year kinda make me want to see another Good high pick come to the Habs in the next 3 drafts. I would rather that be next year as opposed to 3 years from now but would settle for a high pick comming from another team too if we make the playoffs but my faith in MB to make that happen is kinda Weak.

But What a Game that was last night!!! :)

Anyone expecting a tank job is crazy.

The key to winning without tanking is to draft gems outside the top-10. The telecast last night showed a graphic of major TB players drafted outside the first round. That's how you do it. Is there reason to believe Bergevin can build an organization as excellent as Tampa's? No.

I want to wait until after the Dallas game to make my mind up.

The World Juniors are showing how well the CH can draft outside the top 10.

I was expecting them to get torched by TB, and they let in 6 goals. But I am impressed on how well their forwards are playing and how much better the PP is looking.

The Dallas game will be telling, more than the Tampa Bay game 

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anyone expecting a tank job is crazy.

The key to winning without tanking is to draft gems outside the top-10. The telecast last night showed a graphic of major TB players drafted outside the first round. That's how you do it. Is there reason to believe Bergevin can build an organization as excellent as Tampa's? No.

All True! Still TB does have 2 top 5 picks (3 if you count Drouin even if traded) and if I look at any of the Teams I like (lollll) you count 2 (good) top 5 picks. I guess I kinda shoot my own argument bcuz of Chucky but on the Team right now there is (only) 1. I would like the Habs to be able to do that for our roster. Still if the Ghost of Sam can haunt some of the phone lines to make a trade happen for Ottawa 1st round held by Colorado, I will stop calling the phone booth the New Forum phone booth! :)

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

All True! Still TB does have 2 top 5 picks (3 if you count Drouin even if traded) and if I look at any of the Teams I like (lollll) you count 2 (good) top 5 picks. I guess I kinda shoot my own argument bcuz of Chucky but on the Team right now there is (only) 1. I would like the Habs to be able to do that for our roster. Still if the Ghost of Sam can haunt some of the phone lines to make a trade happen for Ottawa 1st round held by Colorado, I will stop calling the phone booth the New Forum phone booth! :)

The habs have 3 top 5 picks on their team.

Carey price

Kotkaniemi

Drouin.

57 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think that just demonstrates that being a top-five pick is no guarantee ...

Yeah, and that's another reason why you can't count on tanking, despite endless fan fantasies (which also tend to forget that it's now a lottery system).

Better to excel in drafting and development, period.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, and that's another reason why you can't count on tanking, despite endless fan fantasies (which also tend to forget that it's now a lottery system).

Better to excel in drafting and development, period.

Yes sir, I never understood the logic to tank for a better spot in this era. The worst team in the league has a way better chance of not getting the first pick than getting it. And even if your team selects higher than they should have, it doesn't guarantee any sort of success from a player or team standpoint. Play your best every game, scout to the best of your abilities, develop your prospects the best you can, and hopefully the timing of everything leads to a Stanley Cup. Only losers hope that losing will lead to winning. 

To develop prospects and youth, you often have to be OK with living with their mistakes and still running them out there shift after shift, win or lose.

Not go out looking for short term stop gap to help with playoff push.

Contenders cant afford to let rookies f-up over and over costing games, lottery teams can.

I am very pleased team is playing entertaining hockey almost every game and putting more pucks in the net...more important than winning at this stage.

Havent heard any complaints about Centre this year, which is totally unexpected. Now, is just one glaring hole in roster to address, finding a competent LH partner for Weber before next season.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:35 PM, Commandant said:

The habs have 3 top 5 picks on their team.

Carey price

Kotkaniemi

Drouin.

ohh Snap!! forgot Carey at 5, my bad

I wasn't counting Drouin tho, like I said in post I shoot my own arguments down pretty good. And I still would like another top 5 pick in next 3 drafts :)