First Goal for Mete

zumpano21

If the stars fall/rise today for my son; it will be his 1st game at the phone booth against CBJ, I say Mete get a hat trick for him tonight!!! :)

September 30th, 2017 during a 9-2 win against Ottawa in the preseason.

well I ain't no Jojo Savard but my son got a W for his 1st game at the phone Booth and he got to chat Tuna! Tuna! Tuna all night and was rewarded for it :D:)

• 4 weeks later...

Mete shots.png

Probably the second year in a row Mete will finish last among Habs defensemen in shots per game. The only other defenseman who has less than a shot per game is Karl Alzner. 

He's never going to take the next step offensively unless he starts having some confidence in his shot. 

53 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

He's never going to take the next step offensively unless he starts having some confidence in his shot. 

I don't think it's a matter of confidence.  His shot just isn't very good.  He can throw feeble attempts from the point all he wants - they're still probably not going to go in.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think it's a matter of confidence.  His shot just isn't very good.  He can throw feeble attempts from the point all he wants - they're still probably not going to go in.

And when he does, many get blocked along the way

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Mete just took a shot that lead to a rebound goal for Danault. Shots lead to better scoring opportunities than skating the puck into the corner (the Mete special) ever have.

And Lehkonen just scored on a shot that was going 3 feet wide of the net. Scoring off someone's ass is always a possiblity. 

Plus if he believed in his shot a bit more he might be more willing to find the open areas of the ice to accept some passes. I don't know where to find the data on it, but I swear he is last on the team in getting to high percentage scoring areas. Even Benn does more in the offensive end than Mete. 

12 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The cool thing about his lack of points is that when I watch games, I don't feel like he is outclassed on the 1st pairing. 

He has been solid, but a genuine top-pairing guy should generate offence IMHO. 

12 minutes ago, DON said:

I think Mete's partner covers some of his blemishes; a la Markov with Komisarik.

I’ve been suspecting the same for a while. I know I have a rep as a negative Nellie, but I think some gentle skepticism is well-advised with him.

But ya gotta admit, when Mete decides to lug puck, he can really get to other end of ice in a hurry...then once there he simply cant finish. But, he also seems to make many smart defensive plays, that a Reilly simply would never think of or misplay. Again, i love his speed (and Weber must as well)!

Weber maybe needs to help him with his shot, or he simply needs to hit the gym and get stronger. But, seems Alzner went a whole career with no shot, so maybe some just cant shoot well.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ve been suspecting the same for a while. I know I have a rep as a negative Nellie, but I think some gentle skepticism is well-advised with him.

The thing is weber is clearly hurting and not playing as well recently.  In the same time we've seen Mete play some of his best hockey.  So while i agree he gets a bump from weber (anyone would) i dont think hes chopped liver either.