Jan. 3, Canucks vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Great to see Carey get the shut out.  The first star postgame interview on the ice with Marc Denis is always so awkward, and gives idiots in the stands an opportunity to boo.  I'm sure the players, especially Carey, would like to scrap it.

The tangle-up that led to Pettersson getting hurt was so weird.  Was that a dirty play from our large Finnish son? 

It was a hook to slow down their star.  Penalty sure. Attempted murder?  I don't think so. 

Seems was an accident and just hope Petterrsson isnt hurt badly.

6 shots for Petry.

11 wins on road and 11 at home, nice.

Price seemed pretty sharp.

Well, Kotkaniemi should have had a penalty on that play. Garrett is a clown but he was dead right about that. And the wider point that, in the absence of fighting/goons, the league HAS to protect its star players, is 100% accurate. It obviously wasn't K-man's intention to injure Sneaky Pete, but Pettersson is a special player and shouldn't have to worry about random attacks away from the play - something that has already happened to him repeatedly this season. (Vancouverites are also prone to ask the question: would it be this way if he were a Leaf?)

What a boring game, though.

In happier news, that was the old Carey Price for sure. Let's hope he stays a while, because he's been missed. That kind of mastery is a rare thing in any sport and beautiful to behold.

Canucks coach is saying it shouldn’t have even been a penalty on Kotkaniemi. 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401044946

Hockey plays happen. It’s a physical game. Players get hurt. 

Was curious why Canucks didnt pull goalie with about 3 1/2 minutes left, when on the PP and with offensive faceoff and down 2 goals...then they pull goalie almost as soon as their PP ended?

Only 5 points behind Leafs, quite different from how i saw the season playing out...very pleasantly surprised.

Tied for 9th in goal scoring is also great stat to see for a change, promising.:clap:

49 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Canucks coach is saying it shouldn’t have even been a penalty on Kotkaniemi. 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401044946

Hockey plays happen. It’s a physical game. Players get hurt. 

Green is wrong. It was a glaringly obvious case of hooking/interference behind the play. I don't understand how that is not a penalty.

That, to me, is the point. The injury was a freak thing, but if the referees had simply done their jobs nobody would be crying foul right now.

I heard Ron McLean on the radio this morning, and his mindset just incarnates everything that is wrong with Old Boy NHL discourse. First, he will bend over backwards not to criticize the refs, because, you know, the refs are Good Guys. Then he mentioned that Pettersson is a 'rookie' - because in the Old Boy hive mind, there are different standards for rookies (e.g., it's OK to rough them up if they dare get too flashy, but if Crosby does it, oh well, that's because he's a great player). Then he referenced Petterson not being used to the small ice...even though that play occurred well away from the boards and had nothing to do with the small ice. Finally, he talked about not wanting to remove all 'battle' from the game. :rolleyes: Because watching guys get hooked and grabbed 50 feet away from the play is why we all tune in to watch hockey.

This is all ludicrous rationalization for what was an obviously illegal play. Give Kotkaniemi the two minutes he deserved. See? Pretty simple.

Last night was one of those games where watching Price move, I nearly muttered out loud in the first period that he was getting a shut out. 

Bummer about Pettersson, what a weird/awkward play. I agree, it could have been a hooking/interference call on Kotkaniemi. Although watching it again, Pettersson stops and reverses a bit into Kotkaniemi, and not due to any hook/hold, but it looks like it really could have been interference on either player, which is perhaps why nothing was called. Take a look at the Sportsnet video on YouTube at about the 40 second mark, you can see where Pettersson stops, braces, then gets bowled over by a still-moving Kotkaniemi.

The Habs are on a stretch of the schedule where 12 of their next 16 games are at home (including last night's game). 

How is the Petersson/Kotkaniemi thing even a debate?  Kotkaniemi wrapped an arm around him and pulled him down to the ice...whether he was falling and it was just instinct to grab onto the closest guy (which is what it appeared to be) or not is irrelevant...it should be 2 minutes for holding or interference all day long.

Just watched the replay.   Petersson is not so innocent as well.  He kinda braked and engaged with KK, obviously trying to get in his way and slow him down. He even swang his elbow/shoulder just before they went down.

But KK initiated the contact, no doubt about it.

16 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Just watched the replay.   Petersson is not so innocent as well.  He kinda braked and engaged with KK, obviously trying to get in his way and slow him down. He even swang his elbow/shoulder just before they went down.

I agree, not sure why Petersson went full pylon in front of a in stride Kotkaniemi. Looked like a bit of interference to me, obviously Kotkaniemi hooked him no question but Petersson was trying to sell it a little too, then they both got tangled up and it was an unfortunate fall that resulted in a great player getting injured.

Petersson is going to be a hell of a player and is a treat to watch play hockey, hopefully he recovers quickly.

23 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I agree, not sure why Petersson went full pylon in front of a in stride Kotkaniemi. Looked like a bit of interference to me, obviously Kotkaniemi hooked him no question but Petersson was trying to sell it a little too, then they both got tangled up and it was an unfortunate fall that resulted in a great player getting injured.

Petersson is going to be a hell of a player and is a treat to watch play hockey, hopefully he recovers quickly.

That he semi-skated off the ice under his own power is a good sign.

I don't like all these rationalizations for what still looks to me like a pretty clear hook from Special K. Sure, the engagement was mutual, but at the end of the day K still hooked Petterson; then Petterson turned to address the guy hooking him; then K got his arm around him and down they went. 

The arbitrariness of NHL reffing drives me crazy. Incidentally, Pettersson is already a hell of a player. I'm pretty sure he's going to be a defining player of his generation, provided he doesn't get killed out there by some BS cheap shot away from the play.

Kotkaniemi should have got 2 for hooking. Peterson definitely should have just kept skating. Not should why he stopped and pushed back against Kotka. Really sucks to see a star get injured though, no matter what the team or circumstance

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Kotkaniemi should have got 2 for hooking. Peterson definitely should have just kept skating. Not should why he stopped and pushed back against Kotka. Really sucks to see a star any player get injured though, no matter what the team or circumstance

Fixed that for you ...

21 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Green is wrong. It was a glaringly obvious case of hooking/interference behind the play. I don't understand how that is not a penalty.

No, i dont think it was a "glaringly obvious" penalty.

In a poll of impartial fans, likely be a flip of a coin as to penalty or not?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott462 said:

He likely wanted to do one of those reverse hits to catch Kotkaniemi off-guard.

But, like all I hope he isnt injured, comes back quickly and keeps up with his production and super play.

• Upvote 1