Schlemko on waivers

Commandant

I have to admit, this surprises me a bit.  I figured Alzner would go back down but I guess they're content keeping him as the designated scratch.  I think he'll clear but I could see a trade (with the Habs either taking a contract back or retaining money) happening before too long.

16 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

How good was Romanov in the juniors? 

Is this related or is it impossible to bring him in now?

No not related (maybe long term) as he is signed by KHL team till 2020 and is not NHL ready anyways.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

A bit strange in that i figured theyd just send alzner down again.

That said, schlemko is shit too... so not losing any sleep if he gets claimed 

This. Garbage in, garbage out.

The only left-handed D on the team to not hit waivers and/or play in Laval this season are Mike Reilly and Jordie Benn. 

Does any team in the NHL have worse defence talent on the left side?

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Chabot is not depth. He is their Petry

I've edited my post to take out the word "depth," as I meant to question if anyone has worse talent on the left side defence than Montreal. 

I'd rather have the problem of having a Chabot but no supporting cast than no Chabot and only supporting cast. 

40 minutes ago, titanfan said:

After last night, does anyone want a Petry?

Yes.

He is a stud number two defenceman that can play number one for a while. Sure he made a mistake but that does not take away what he’s done this year.

It also can’t be understated how much of an impact having Shea Weber in the lineup has on our defence core, the minute he went down all hell broke loose.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, titanfan said:

After last night, does anyone want a Petry?

It was a bad play.   One bad play does not change the fact that Petry has been a borderline #1 defenceman this season. 

Every defenceman in the league makes a bad turnover once in a while. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I've edited my post to take out the word "depth," as I meant to question if anyone has worse talent on the left side defence than Montreal. 

I'd rather have the problem of having a Chabot but no supporting cast than no Chabot and only supporting cast. 

Chabot is a hell of a prospect, and a hell of an offensive defenceman.  One of the best in the league. 

He's still young and learning though. 

His underlying stats show a very high event defender (even for the Sens whose defensive game is bad, he is one of the worst defensive defencemen in the league). 

I'm sure he'll get better as he grows, but if people are complaining about Petry, I wonder what they would say about Chabot. 

20 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

You basically have to take the good with the bad in Petry.

That's what I've have said two years ago. But since then he seems to have learned how to play at a high level much more consistently. Nor have I noticed him being especially gaffe-prone or flimsy in his own end over that span. In the context of the past two season's, last night's blunder was a freak event. This isn't Drouin we're talking about.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's what I've have said two years ago. But since then he seems to have learned how to play at a high level much more consistently. Nor have I noticed him being especially gaffe-prone or flimsy in his own end over that span. In the context of the past two season's, last night's blunder was a freak event. This isn't Drouin we're talking about.

He had couple blunders, which is par for course with him and why he shouldnt be on 1st pairing.

The opposition is most likely to score with Petry on the ice than with other defenders on the CH

He is a #3 offensive-D having a career year at 31. He is peaking 

Edited by alfredoh2009

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't get me started on Drouin. I think he has tons of talent, but the hockey IQ is seriously questionable...how many  times did he drop the puck to nobody.

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

You basically have to take the good with the bad in Petry.

True with most players. 

He's like Subban-lite... in that there will be more good than bad, but the bad is really bad and stands out. 

Just like that situation, I think that Petry provides far more value than his occassional blunders. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The opposition is most likely to score with Petry on the ice than with other defenders on the CH

Not true at all. 

Unless you think Reilly, Schlemko, Alzner, Mete, Benn, Kulak, are better defenders than Petry... which they are not. 

The only one clearly ahead of him is Weber. 

45 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Don't get me started on Drouin. I think he has tons of talent, but the hockey IQ is seriously questionable...how many  times did he drop the puck to nobody.

Another imperfect player, but one who can put up 60-70 points or even more if things go well. 

Yes, his defensive game isn't perfect and he's risky, but the guy can score, there is no way around that.  This team is finally one that can score goals, but yet we continue to be obsessed with him not being a "two-way player".   You need to score goals to win games and he's one guy who really helps drive the offense.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not true at all. 

Unless you think Reilly, Schlemko, Alzner, Mete, Benn, Kulak, are better defenders than Petry... which they are not. 

The only one clearly ahead of him is Weber. 

That is what the statistics say...