Jan. 10, Montreal vs St. Louis, 8 PM

dlbalr

this year's team continues to struggle against bigger teams. I like how they were using speed at the beginning of the season , but that seems so long ago

January is going to be a tough moth. Hopefully they will play .500

Everyone knows the second half of the season is when shit gets real. We might see this team start to deteriorate a bit. 

Julien's stubbornness with line juggling is frustrating too. When a team's offense goes stagnant for multiple games, would you not think that moving some players around would make sense? He chose to slightly do this with 10min left in the game, down 3 goals.... 

The power play is complete disaster. They're trying so hard to find that perfect pass, but it's not happening; it's just a million turnovers. That's why team's play so aggressive against them. There is no threat. They're missing a pure shooter at the top of the circle; someone that can free up Weber

I didn't see the game. But I'll just lob in a few quick thoughts:

1. For years fans were apoplectic over Therrien's 'blender.' Now they are complaining that CJ doesn't blend enough. We can't have it both ways.

2. Given where the Habs are in the standings relative to expectations, I think it's fair to infer that Julien has done a stellar job thus far...especially considering that Weber was out for weeks and Price was mediocre for much of the first half. He has not gotten enough credit.

3. It is more than likely that the Habs over-performed for about the first 30 games. Max Domi in particular stands out as a guy who may have played over his head. If the team settles back to earth a bit in the second half - as Habopotamus notes, things get tougher now - this really shouldn't come as a shock.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn't see the game. But I'll just lob in a few quick thoughts:

1. For years fans were apoplectic over Therrien's 'blender.' Now they are complaining that CJ doesn't blend enough. We can't have it both ways. Yes, I thought funny ask.

2. Given where the Habs are in the standings relative to expectations, I think it's fair to infer that Julien has done a stellar job thus far...especially considering that Weber was out for weeks and Price was mediocre for much of the first half. He has not gotten enough credit. Why cant HabFans just be happy and realize the team is miles ahead of what we all expected?

3. It is more than likely that the Habs over-performed for about the first 30 games. Max Domi in particular stands out as a guy who may have played over his head. If the team settles back to earth a bit in the second half - as Habopotamus notes, things get tougher now - this really shouldn't come as a shock. Darn Habs teased the fandom with strong start without a Weber. 

Gallagher another dirty hardworking goal, love it!:clap:

After 31goal season, I thought no way would he would repeat...now on pace for 30.9 goals.:clap:

When the season started we fore checked like beasts. We were super high pressure, 2 man fore check, always in your face. Sometime along the way we stopped doing that...We still use speed but our fore check is nowhere near what it was (and hasn't been for some time).

I do not know if that is a system thing or a player thing but I want us to go back to the high pressure game we started the season with.

24 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I agree with you, but Deslauriers was the best forward on the ice last night 

#11 was also good, but basically agree...just too bad he has the hands of stone and didnt threaten scoring, but loved the effort of the 4th line.

IMO Thomas Tatar had been the best player on the team for a couple weeks.  He's been winning puck battles like crazy and playing fast smart hockey in the offensive zone. 

A couple things that aren't happening compared to the beginning of the year. 

Goalies are better.  Straight ahead shots aren't going in because the goalies are in mid season form. 

They aren't intercepting passes in the neutral zone like they were. This allows the quick transition and forces goalies to move left to right. 

The defense are spending too much time transitioning the puck compared to earlier.  Early in the season, the puck was on the defense stick and immediately sent up ice.  

Neutral zone give aways. Trying to play with speed through an opposing defense which had had time to set up, is resulting in way too many give aways.