Trade Deadline Planning

Commandant

On January 7th, general manager Marc Bergevin told the media that the current cost of rentals was out of the Habs price range. He made it clear that he would not move his first round pick or one of the team’s top prospects (specifically the players who appeared in the World Juniors) in order to obtain a rental. He also mentioned that he had thought about moving out some veteran players. Bergevin also indicated that he was still open to deals that made sense for both now and the future.

Given the team’s current roster, which features a very young forward group as well as a strong group of prospects that has been built in the last two years, this is the correct approach. While the team can fight for a playoff spot, they are not yet a true Stanley Cup Contender. Now is not the time to abandon the rebuild on the fly.

With that in mind, how can the Habs best use their current assets to help the club both now and in the future?

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/01/18/montreal-canadiens-trade-deadline-planner/

I definitely believe that he is not going to trade a 1st or our best prospects for a rental player, and that's the best plan in my opinion. However, I do believe that if there were a deal on the table for a player who is under team control for a few years, he would be willing to trade those pieces. I'd really like for him to address the LD situation as soon as possible, and I am quite okay with trading futures for the now solution. Drafting a LD is going to take years to develop and overpaying for one through UFA is not something I am interested in. Call me crazy, but I'd even consider acquiring a veteran like a Keith or a Yandle depending on the cost. Montreal is sitting in a great position right now, they are sitting in a playoff position, they have lots of decent prospects, lots of picks and a lot of cap space. If Bergevin can make the right moves, this team will be set up to be very very good for a long time.  

• Upvote 1

I've seen Commandant and Lebrun both mentioning cap space as an asset for Montreal, but as we get further into the season the less that cap space is a trade chip.

How many contending teams are there with a) limited cap space, b) a bad contract, c) the assets to trade that bad contract away AND bring in a better player at a similar cap hit?

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

How many contending teams are there with a) limited cap space, b) a bad contract, c) the assets to trade that bad contract away AND bring in a better player at a similar cap hit?

Depends on how much the Habs would want to take on the contract.  In terms of teams that still have some sort of playoff aspirations, Washington, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Anaheim, Dallas, St. Louis, San Jose, and Calgary are all less than $3MM in full-season space under the cap (excluding LTIR provisions).  For some of them, a bad contract could be an underachiever making $2 million (and if I looked hard enough, I could probably find someone in that category for most of those teams).  In theory, Montreal could take on that type of contract with a mid-round pick or comparable asset.  I don't think there's an Armia-type deal to be made but they could potentially still 'buy' an extra pick that way and a mid-rounder wouldn't stop that team from adding a more expensive upgrade.

Cam talbot

Tobias Rieder

Michael frolik

Mike smith

Brett connolly

Jason spezza

Jay bouwmeester 

Carl gunnarsson

There are 8 potentjal cap dumps with 1 or 2 year terms on the teams Brian mentionned.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Hard to tell who's the cap dump between Talbot and Rieder.

All 8 names were potential cap dumps.

I didnt name any players that i actually want.

It was talbot or rieder 

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

All 8 names were potential cap dumps.

I didnt name any players that i actually want.

It was talbot or rieder 

Ah ok.

Considering the fact that we only paid  Simon Bourque to get  Armia, a 4th and a 7th (and taking Mason's contract),  should we look forward into PAYING a 2nd rounder to take Talbot or Rieder, BUT, along with Puljujarvi ?  A little bit like what the Canes did with Bickell/Teravainen ?  We have several 2nd roundes, don't we ?

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Ah ok.

Considering the fact that we only paid  Simon Bourque to get  Armia, a 4th and a 7th (and taking Mason's contract),  should we look forward into PAYING a 2nd rounder to take Talbot or Rieder, BUT, along with Puljujarvi ?  A little bit like what the Canes did with Bickell/Teravainen ?  We have several 2nd roundes, don't we ?

We have two seconds.  Columbus and our own.

Also mason was a full season.  Most of these are just a few months cap dump... though frolik is 1 year plus a few months.

Unless Juulson is healthy and ready to take Benn's spot. Keep him.

I wouldn't try to add to the team either, they aren't a 1 LD away from the cup. 

They are playing with house money, don;t give up any young players or 1st or 2nd rounders. 

The CH has a bunch of expiring contracts which I would trade for 4th or 5th 2019 picks:

Audette, Shinkaruk, Olofsson, Schlemko. I believe the CH has a few prospects coming up that would benefit from a roster spots in Laval.

These other expiring contracts, I would try to resign for depth to play in the AHL, but I would not move them:

Froese, McCarron, Lernout, Ouellet.

Out of what remains, the CH doesn't have much to trade for an upgrade on their NHL lineup. I do not want them to give up any of their extra draft picks, But I would like them to go get another 3rd draft pick if possible. For a 3rd, maybe Froese, McCarron, Shaw, Sklenicka or Peca could fetch that but I doubt it.

===

That being said, I think these are Montreal's trade chips for this year's trade deadline:

Lehkonen, Juulsen, Benn, Shaw, Byron, Hudon, cap-space.

Here are some of my targets, to the limits of my arm-chair GM skills:

LDs:

===

1) Samuel Morin (PHI): a LD-shutdown to paly with Petry, PHI seems to lack RDs, so Juulsen may be a fit

2) Jacob Larsson(ANA): picked right after Juulsen, I would package Juulsen in a way to get ANA to bite

3) Maxwell Gildon(FLA): Gildon has more pedigree but FLA seems to lack depth at RD, Juulsen is also an NHLer now where Gildon is still establishing himself

4) Joel Edmundsson(STL): he is an RFA and probably due for a good payout, STL will have Bouwmeester and Gunnarson coming off their payroll (if they do not want to resign them), so there is not real incentive to trade Edmundsson; but I would try to get him maybe for Juulsen, Alzner and one of our 2nds if he resigns in Montreal.

These is how I would prepare for the trade deadline, and what I would be looking for: up and coming LDs to play with Petry. Or an affordable established LD like Edmundsson.

Edited by alfredoh2009
typos

No one is giving up 4th or 5th round picks for failed prospects like Shinkaruk or Audette.  Shinkaruk cleared waivers earlier in the year

Olofsson is injured and hasn't even played for the team. He also cleared waivers earlier but I bet the Habs kinda want to get a look at him and what they got

Schlemko also cleared waivers and his contract extends into next season,  No one is taking him without the Habs retaining salary or taking back a bad contract

Quite simply this suggestion is unrealistic and does not happen in the NHL

Morin is injured and has missed all season.  He would have made the Flyers if not for the injury.

I don't see why anaheim wants a defenceman like Juulsen.  They can't get all of their defencemen in their lineup now. 

Florida is a seller, they aren't trading prospects

As for St. Louis, why would they want Alzner? Adding Alzner to Juulsen is still not enough to get a top 4 defenceman, In fact it makes your offer worse

On top of all that, Juulsen is out with a concussion right now.  Who is trading for him while injured?

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No one is giving up 4th or 5th round picks for failed prospects like Shinkaruk or Audette.  Shinkaruk cleared waivers earlier in the year

Olofsson is injured and hasn't even played for the team. He also cleared waivers earlier but I bet the Habs kinda want to get a look at him and what they got

Schlemko also cleared waivers and his contract extends into next season,  No one is taking him without the Habs retaining salary or taking back a bad contract

Quite simply this suggestion is unrealistic and does not happen in the NHL

Morin is injured and has missed all season.  He would have made the Flyers if not for the injury.

I don't see why anaheim wants a defenceman like Juulsen.  They can't get all of their defencemen in their lineup now. 

Florida is a seller, they aren't trading prospects

As for St. Louis, why would they want Alzner? Adding Alzner to Juulsen is still not enough to get a top 4 defenceman, In fact it makes your offer worse

On top of all that, Juulsen is out with a concussion right now.  Who is trading for him while injured?

it is what it is, can't get blood from a stone.

The CH doesn't have the trade chips to play at the trade deadline. I was just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So, yes, I agree with you. My point is that I would only trade fringe/IR players or AHLers and just keep trucking

On 2019-01-19 at 4:04 PM, Commandant said:

Cam talbot

Tobias Rieder

Michael frolik

Mike smith

Brett connolly

Jason spezza

Jay bouwmeester 

Carl gunnarsson

There are 8 potentjal cap dumps with 1 or 2 year terms on the teams Brian mentionned.

With the situation in Edmonton, I doubt Talbot will even be traded.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but his contract expires the end of the season.  Oilers have no reason to pay extra to get rid of Talbot when they will be rid of him at seasons end, with no reason to free up cap space at this point.

I would forget any trade to get Pujujarvi.  If oilers are trading him, it’s for an upgrade they desperately need, not a cap dump.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

With the situation in Edmonton, I doubt Talbot will even be traded.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but his contract expires the end of the season.  Oilers have no reason to pay extra to get rid of Talbot when they will be rid of him at seasons end, with no reason to free up cap space at this point.

I would forget any trade to get Pujujarvi.  If oilers are trading him, it’s for an upgrade they desperately need, not a cap dump.

Things have certainly changed in Edmonton, which under Chiarelli were rumoured to make short term moves to make the playoffs and try to save his job.  Now that he's gone, I'm not sure what the instructions from above are. 

That said they are over the cap and need cap space right now just to activate Andrej Sekera off IR, never mind the space they would need for any trades if they still want to push for a playoff spot. This is why they would need to dump Talbot. 

I also didn't say Talbot + Puljujarvi, if i suggested anyone here from the Oilers it was Caleb Jones. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Things have certainly changed in Edmonton, which under Chiarelli were rumoured to make short term moves to make the playoffs and try to save his job.  Now that he's gone, I'm not sure what the instructions from above are. 

That said they are over the cap and need cap space right now just to activate Andrej Sekera off IR, never mind the space they would need for any trades if they still want to push for a playoff spot. This is why they would need to dump Talbot. 

I also didn't say Talbot + Puljujarvi, if i suggested anyone here from the Oilers it was Caleb Jones. 

Didn’t meant to suggest you said anything about Puljujarvi, it’s just all over the forum, us getting him. 

From your list, the most interesting stand out cap dumps would be spezza and bouwmeester. 

35 minutes ago, PMAC said:

How about Alzner for Lucic, a 2nd and a 3rd?

4 1/2 years left at $6m/yr...no thanks too long for a slug to dress or sit home collecting buy out $$.

46 minutes ago, PMAC said:

How about Alzner for Lucic, a 2nd and a 3rd?

Only remote possibility of something like that working is if we are throwing in the picks, not Edmonton. Or swap Alzner for Hudson.  Still don’t want to get strapped for 4 more years of Lucic.  

i am intrigued in the rumours of Hamilton being available in Carolina.  Only reservation is why is everyone so eager to trade him away.

26 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Only remote possibility of something like that working is if we are throwing in the picks, not Edmonton. Or swap Alzner for Hudson.  Still don’t want to get strapped for 4 more years of Lucic.  

i am intrigued in the rumours of Hamilton being available in Carolina.  Only reservation is why is everyone so eager to trade him away.

An Alzner for Lucic swap only handcuffs us for one extra year and 1.375m against the cap. I would rather have Lucic on the roster than Alzner but I wouldn't try making this move unless Edmonton threw in something good to make up for the difference in salary and term. 

Hamilton would not and should not be a target for us, he is a right shot dman and we need lefties. I don't think I even need to bring up the perceived attitude and character aspects. It bugs me that it seems that every time Montreal has a positional need, those players aren't available. And when they are strong in a certain position, there are an abundance of those players available. One of these years the supply and demand have to line up with what we are trying to accomplish. 

I wouldn't mind picking up a guy like Zuccarello. I think if you added him to the Drouin Domi line that could be one killer line for us.

He is a free agent so if it would cost to much to get him I would look at trying to sign him come July 1st.

Drouin  - Domi  - Zuccarello