Claude Julien: Jack Adams candidate?

Beyond being a top-3 contender in the league's annual Homeliest Coach competition, CJ has taken a Team of Misfit Toys that most people projected to be a bottom-feeder and turned it into a wild-card club that is competitive almost every night and tough to play against. Who do you think are his competition for the Coach of the Year award for 2018-19, and how do you think he stacks up to them? Discuss.

This is Trotz's trophy to lose at this point in the season. I also agree that the last place power play in the league won't do Claude any help in the votes. 

This thread should be Marc Bergevin - GM of the year candidate

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

That's true. Everyone including me wanted bergevins head. Now not a peep when his moves work out. 

He's had a great 2018-19.

My problem is that I have a sense of historical perspective. He inherited a team that was on the cusp of contention and mismanaged it to the point where clinging to a wildcard spot by the skin of our teeth makes him look like GM of the year. In other words, he looks great this season partly because we're comparing him to the horrendous results of his previous body of work. That's only impressive if we have amnesia.

A MUCH stronger point in his favour than this short-term 'success' is that the Habs' prospects are generally very well-regarded. He seems to have managed to assemble quite a promising crop of youth. If those players can develop properly, and if Weber and Price can manage to have looooong careers where they excel into their mid-to-late 30s, then Bergevin may yet manage to build a club that surpasses the 2014 and 2015 teams which he destroyed through sheer blithering arrogance and stupidity. Therein lies the case for Bergevin. Lots of things can go wrong, however; we'll see how it plays out.

• Upvote 2

Bergevin has a good case for GM of the year

Julien is likely top 5 for coach but right now its Trotz's to lose.  Even if the Isles fall off, as I suspect they might, then it goes to Peters or Cooper before Julien IMO

On 1/20/2019 at 1:57 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Beyond being a top-3 contender in the league's annual Homeliest Coach competition, CJ has taken a Team of Misfit Toys that most people projected to be a bottom-feeder and turned it into a wild-card club that is competitive almost every night and tough to play against. Who do you think are his competition for the Coach of the Year award for 2018-19, and how do you think he stacks up to them? Discuss.

I prefer candidates that bring their team to the top, as opposed from the bottom to the middle. This would also apply to GM MB as well. Too early for these two to get any titles. Who is responsible for their bottom feeding?

2 hours ago, BlueKross said:

Who is responsible for their bottom feeding?

Weber's soft ankle bones, bad goaltending, Russian agent Markov, mercenary Radulov?

• Upvote 1

For me, Bergevin is an above average GM that is having an excellent year after having a desastrous one.

He would need to have consistent excellent years in drafting and development as well as asset management to be a top-3 GM.

As for CJ, I have to recognize that he is doing really well; but I still have trouble rooting for an ex-Bruins coach. 

If the gm of the year is for work over the last year.. (since the end of last season)

Domi trade

Pacioretty trade

Kotkaniemi pick

Armia trade

Then bergevin has to be a contender.  

If its for total body of work in building the team then i have to suggest guys like Cheveldayoff, Treliving, Poile, Yzerman (even though he stepped down).

It all depends on how you view the award.

On top of that, if its the first one... the trade deadline hasnt happened which can change a lot.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:31 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He's had a great 2018-19.

My problem is that I have a sense of historical perspective. He inherited a team that was on the cusp of contention and mismanaged it to the point where clinging to a wildcard spot by the skin of our teeth makes him look like GM of the year. In other words, he looks great this season partly because we're comparing him to the horrendous results of his previous body of work. That's only impressive if we have amnesia.

A MUCH stronger point in his favour than this short-term 'success' is that the Habs' prospects are generally very well-regarded. He seems to have managed to assemble quite a promising crop of youth. If those players can develop properly, and if Weber and Price can manage to have looooong careers where they excel into their mid-to-late 30s, then Bergevin may yet manage to build a club that surpasses the 2014 and 2015 teams which he destroyed through sheer blithering arrogance and stupidity. Therein lies the case for Bergevin. Lots of things can go wrong, however; we'll see how it plays out.

Hahaha.. I wish I were smart enough to have said this. :huh: