Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
xXx..CK..xXx

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Recommended Posts

Quietly pulling away in points from the consensus best forward available and 2nd overall pick in this past year's draft Andrei Svechnikov. Currently, Kotkaniemi has 26 points whereas Svechnikov has 22 points. Brady Tkachuk is stuck between them with 23 points, albeit in a few less games. While Elias Petterson is in a class of his own when it comes to rookies, if Kotkaniemi checks the statistics page as much as I hope he does, he may be inspired to have a solid "Finnish" to the end of this year and beat out all players from his draft class in points. First overall draft pick Rasmus Dahlin has 28 points, or 2 more than Kotkaniemi at this juncture in the season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit the kid is impressing me more and more as the season moves forward. You would expect some kind of let down from KK at this point in the season, but he only seems to get better!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good lad needs a nickname.  His name literally translates to 'Eagle Peninsula':

 

Bald_Eagle_Portrait.jpg

 

Peninsula_croatia.jpg

 

What can we call him? 

 

The Eagle

Super Eagle

Eagle Dick (what is a peninsula but land's dick extending into water?)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am starting to get excited thinking about what 2 years of experience and another 15-20lbs of muscle on this kid might allow him to do.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's that other kid doing? You know the one every wanted to draft and was pissed off Bergevin never did?? 🤔 yes I am talking about Zadina. Yup couldn't even crack Detroit's line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I am starting to get excited thinking about what 2 years of experience and another 15-20lbs of muscle on this kid might allow him to do.

In about 3 years time we could have a log jam at center. Yes I did say we who would of thought.

Danault 

Domi 

Kotkaniemi 

Suzuki 

Poehling 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Metallica said:

How's that other kid doing? You know the one every wanted to draft and was pissed off Bergevin never did?? 🤔 yes I am talking about Zadina. Yup couldn't even crack Detroit's line up.

Pretty meaningless Zadina is not playing with a cellar dweller. Some might even say is smart to let him play in junior an extra year, host Memorial cup and world juniors and not be part of losing team.

If Habs had of tanked in Oct-Nov, who knows if Kotkaniemi would be with Habs.

 

But, he is looking like a super choice for Habs for sure!:clap:

 

(i see Zadina is in AHL and doing "OK")

Edited by DON
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also staying in the AHL for this year means Zadina will not need to be protected in the expansion draft, whereas Kotkaniemi will need to be protected. 

 

I agree with Montreal keeping him up past the 40 game mark, but I also understand why Detroit sent Zadina back. 

 

I still like the Kotkaniemi pick, but you can't truly judge the pick until 5 years post draft.  its not about drafting the player who will be in the NHL first, its about drafting the player who will have the best career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought an AHL contract counted for the eligibility in the expansion draft and that any AHLer this year would need to be protected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought an AHL contract counted for the eligibility in the expansion draft and that any AHLer this year would need to be protected

 

For players 20 and over, yes.  Technically, Zadina's contract won't start this year (unless he plays 10 or more NHL games which would be really stupid of Detroit at this point) so he'll be at zero professional seasons.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

For players 20 and over, yes.  Technically, Zadina's contract won't start this year (unless he plays 10 or more NHL games which would be really stupid of Detroit at this point) so he'll be at zero professional seasons.

Thanks, I learn a bit more everytime :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Also staying in the AHL for this year means Zadina will not need to be protected in the expansion draft, whereas Kotkaniemi will need to be protected. 

 

 

That could prove quite costly in two and a half years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neech said:

 

That could prove quite costly in two and a half years.

 

Im not overly worried about it.

 

Even assuming it has an effect..You can still only lose one player... who would be the 8th best forward on the roster...  instead of losing the 9th best forward. 

 

If they take a dman or goalie, it had no effect.

 

Meh... 

 

As long as we dont get cute with things and try trades..  thats what killed teams in the last expansion.  The clubs that just gave up their own player were largely fine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, Commandant said:

Even assuming it has an effect..You can still only lose one player... who would be the 8th best forward on the roster...  instead of losing the 9th best forward. 

If they take a dman or goalie, it had no effect.

 

Exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Kotkaniemi notching his 18th and 19th assist last night, he took hold of the record for most ever assists by an 18 year old Habs player in a given season.  

 

Previously held by Mario Tremblay in the mid 70s as well as Petr Svoboda in the mid 80s with 18 assists each. 

 

With Carolina and Montreal being in the playoff mix, and somewhat battling each other for a spot,  it should be interesting to note whether or not Svechnikov (CAR) and Kotkaniemi (MTL) have any type of impact during their respective playoff birth runs.  It seems as though Kotkaniemi is being trusted to help, especially in offensive situations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

With Kotkaniemi notching his 18th and 19th assist last night, he took hold of the record for most ever assists by an 18 year old Habs player in a given season.  

 

Previously held by Mario Tremblay in the mid 70s as well as Petr Svoboda in the mid 80s with 18 assists each. 

 

With Carolina and Montreal being in the playoff mix, and somewhat battling each other for a spot,  it should be interesting to note whether or not Svechnikov (CAR) and Kotkaniemi (MTL) have any type of impact during their respective playoff birth runs.  It seems as though Kotkaniemi is being trusted to help, especially in offensive situations.  

How many 18 year olds have played for Habs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boy sure loves playing at home.  Is his mom still in town, cooking him meals and tucking him in at night?  Scolding him for stealing cookies and picking out his clothes for the day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On February 20, 2019 at 2:17 PM, DON said:

How many 18 year olds have played for Habs?

 

After extensive research, I've come up with a list.

 

Skaters

Alex Galchenyuk

Jesperi Kotkaniemi 

Claude Lemieux

Sergio Momesso (1 game)

Pete Palangio

Stephane Richer (1 game)

Mathieu Schneider (4 games)

Mikhail Sergachev (4 games)

Petr Svoboda

Mario Tremblay

Alfie Turcotte

 

Goalies

Olivier Michaud (1 period in relief of Garon)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

 

 

After extensive research, I've come up with a list.

 

Skaters

Alex Galchenyuk

Jesperi Kotkaniemi 

Claude Lemieux

Sergio Momesso (1 game)

Pete Palangio

Stephane Richer (1 game)

Mathieu Schneider (4 games)

Mikhail Sergachev (4 games)

Petr Svoboda

Mario Tremblay

Alfie Turcotte

 

Goalies

Olivier Michaud (1 period in relief of Garon)

Thanks sir. Didn't think it would be a long one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet Mrs. Kotkaniemi had his undies fresh and toasty from the dryer this morning.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall much outrage over the pick. Debate, sure. Anger, no.

 

Is his inability to produce on the road at all a concern? Just asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't recall much outrage over the pick. Debate, sure. Anger, no.

 

Is his inability to produce on the road at all a concern? Just asking.

Tied for 5th in rookie scoring and i think with maturity (size/stronger-confidence) his offense should improve on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't recall much outrage over the pick. Debate, sure. Anger, no.

 

Is his inability to produce on the road at all a concern? Just asking.

 

The way he's exceeded expectations and people didn't even expect him to make the team... I don't think we should have many concerns at all right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 22, 2019 at 9:22 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't recall much outrage over the pick. Debate, sure. Anger, no.

 

Is his inability to produce on the road at all a concern? Just asking.

I think with Kotkaniemi it can be looked at in a positive way in that he's had such a successful season even without being able to produce as efficiently on the road. 

 

Something to note is that whereas Jesperi Kotkaniemi has 11 goals on 48 shots in 33 games at home, he has 0 goals on 56 shots in 28 games on the road. He shoots more on the road than at home. The most notable difference is his shot percentage between home and away games. 22.9% at home versus 0% on the road. Shift lengths are pretty similar home and away with an average of 14 minutes per game either way. It seems it may just be a fluky thing. 

 

What's interesting is that Kotkaniemi seems to be an importantly integral part to the team's success. He's scored 10 goals in our wins (33 games) and doesn't have a single goal in any of our regulation losses (21 games). 1 of his goals came in one of our 7 overtime/shootout losses. Again, this doesn't seem to necessarily tie into the home versus away thing as the Habs have done fairly well on the road. One thing is for sure however, if KK can start to produce on the road, the Habs will have a much better chance of success in any given year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That shift he took on the PP right before the leafs took the lead (still trying to get off the ice as the leafs transitioned back into our zone) was arguably his worst shift of the year I believe!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×