Habs Acquire Nate Thompson

PMAC

Bergevin gets Nate Thompson and a 5th round pick for a 4th rounder. Bargain shopping for sure but is Thompson much of an upgrade on Chaput? Also, what is the next move to clear a roster spot? 

I'm not stoked about this pickup, but for the cost and the 4th line Julien wants to deploy, it makes sense.

I think I'd prefer Weise - Peca - Hudon to Weise - Thompson - Deslauriers, but I'm beginning to wonder if we've seen Peca's last game as a centreman.

Chaput should follow Agostino down the waiver wire 

Don't know much about Thompson , I just hope he is better and would have prevented being mauled by TO's 4th line

13 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Thompson’s faceoff % is at a respectful 53%. Helping that 4th line win faceoffs and eat up minutes. Any Faceoff% numbers on Chaput and Peca this year? Just curious on the upgrade if much .

Peca is at 47.1% and Chairs is at 50%. Danault takes a substantial amount of the team's draw and is at 53% as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I think I'd prefer Weise - Peca - Hudon to Weise - Thompson - Deslauriers, but I'm beginning to wonder if we've seen Peca's last game as a centreman.

Peca hasn't spent much time at centre lately.  Even when he has been in the lineup lately, it has mostly been on the wing.

A 4th line of Weise-Thompson-Armia would be good once Byron is back.

Swap Weise with Deslaurier if you want, and it is still better than what we had before.

What’s not to like?

Weise replaces Agostino, Folin replaces Alzner, Thompson replaces  Chaput (I hope) and one of Hudon, Peca or Deslauriers goes when Byron is ready to return. (  I hope they keep Peca simply as his speed is a weapon)

Presto, chango an improved 4th line and a better depth defense  option with almost no assets given up.

I hope that Bergevin has an impact move up his sleeve, but who knows maybe Montreal will reinvigorate Weise again? 

The habs 4th line was awful, they literally did nothing. CJ knows it and MB responded. 

I wouldnt do much honestly, don't see a good LD being available without giving up too much. 

if we stick with the current lines...

drouin danault gallagher

tatar Domi Shaw

lelhkonan JK ARmia

Weise Thompson Byron

Deslauriers

Hudon

mete weber

reilly petry

kulak benn

frolin

price 

niemi

*At least Weise has wheels and can skate with Byron (somewhat) and thompson brings a high energy hard working game and is a decent FO man. Not sure if im sold on shaw on the 2nd line as Byron is to good for the 4th. AT least this line would have a chance to be more sound defensively with a chance at some secondary scoring. i dont see CJ breaking up the Finn line at the moment given its recent sucess and puck possession dominance. 

Could Weise be lightning in a bottle on the 4th line? i hope so. we know he will be super motivated to play for his child hood dream team again!!

2 hours ago, DON said:

Same as a Semin, Hemsky, Ott, etc and answer is no.

We will see. IMHO, Weise will be much more effective than the heartless or legless plugs you mentioned above. 

On Weise, we got rid of Schlemko's contract in the deal, and also picked up Folin as a RHD who replaces Alzner as our backup D man.  We also gave up Froese.

Even if he's a complete bust, there is nothing to complain about as Folin is an upgrade, and Schlemko/Froese are not losses to the team.  Even salary wise its basically a wash between Schlemko and Weise next year, (250k difference).

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

On Weise, we got rid of Schlemko's contract in the deal, and also picked up Folin as a RHD who replaces Alzner as our backup D man.  We also gave up Froese.

Even if he's a complete bust, there is nothing to complain about as Folin is an upgrade, and Schlemko/Froese are not losses to the team.  Even salary wise its basically a wash between Schlemko and Weise next year, (250k difference).

Not complaining...simply trying to say I expect very little from Weise at all...similar to the other washed up vets that Bergy has brought in. 

But cost and other plus's are good.