Feb. 16, Habs vs Lightning, 7 PM

dlbalr

31 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

They sure look like a bubble team when you watch them play good teams.

In the third, yes. The first two periods we were in the game, but TB shifted into a higher gear in the third and we had nothing left in the tank.

I still wouldn’t write off the playoffs based just on the last few games against the league’s top teams.

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Weird to see 40 minutes of some of Montreal's best hockey followed by 20 minutes of their worst.

It went downhill after the no goal call.

Tampa just took off and The Habs couldn’t respond and got out of hand too quickly.

Thats what happens with the best team in the league make the slightest mistake or give up a little momentum and they burn you.

Hopefully they break this 3 game skid tomorrow.

Drouin and Weise are the goats tonight. Terrible plays by two not-very-smart hockey players. You keep carrying guys who consistently make plays like that, you lose a lot of games.

Mark my words: if this team ever goes on a deep ruin with Drouin as a key cog, he will end up costing us dearly with a stupid play at a critical moment. Book it.

Habs showed a lot of snark and jam tonight - which I like. The Max Domi-led transformation into a team that refuses to let anything slide, especially around # 31, is complete. That said, a team like TB has another one or two levels on us talent-wise. You can play stride for stride with such teams for a while, but gradually superior skill starts to tell. And all the 'compete' in the world won't help.

Really a shame about the Kulak goal. Gallagher made such an awesome play! I don't like the Coach's Challenge; it slows things down, one more time out in an era already burdened by TV time outs. I'd much prefer the entertaining chaos of the occasional blown call than these dreary delays in the name of Getting It Right.

A few things. 

The last four games proved a few things.  They dominated Winnipeg, played well against Toronto and came up short in OT, played well against Nashville but Nashville was still the better team, and played 40 minutes with Tampa but got killed in the third.  Thats the top 4 teams in the NHL by points.  In other words this is a good team, a playoff team, but not a true contender (and not one player away either). Going into the deadline that is good to know.   The team can compete and when players already on the team and young... Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Domi, Mete, etc... along with prospects like Suzuki, Brook, Romanov take the next step, they will be there. 

As for the standings, The Sky is not falling, contrary to some posts here. Seeing as the Habs have more points than the third place team in the Metro, three teams would have to pass Montreal to knock the Habs out of the playoffs.  (The first team to pass them would take third in that division). They also are not going to face another stretch that was as tough as their last four games. Points will be easier to come by from here. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

A few things. 

The last four games proved a few things.  They dominated Winnipeg, played well against Toronto and came up short in OT, played well against Nashville but Nashville was still the better team, and played 40 minutes with Tampa but got killed in the third.  Thats the top 4 teams in the NHL by points.  In other words this is a good team, a playoff team, but not a true contender (and not one player away either). Going into the deadline that is good to know.   The team can compete and when players already on the team and young... Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Domi, Mete, etc... along with prospects like Suzuki, Brook, Romanov take the next step, they will be there. 

As for the standings, The Sky is not falling, contrary to some posts here. Seeing as the Habs have more points than the third place team in the Metro, three teams would have to pass Montreal to knock the Habs out of the playoffs.  (The first team to pass them would take third in that division). They also are not going to face another stretch that was as tough as their last four games. Points will be easier to come by from here. 

Good analysis! The sky is not falling, no. But of course three losses spark anxiety. 

I'm less optimistic about the boldfaced part. I heard (and made) exactly the same sort of comments around the early phases of the Gainey rebuild, and again the exact same when we had studs like PK and Patches coming up. In fact, similar things were said around 1996 when players such as Koivu, Tucker, Valeri Bure, etc., were emerging. After 25 years of this, and especially after having seen Price's peak years squandered by incompetent GMing, I'm done buying into these hypotheticals. Let's hope the Habs do manage to build a genuine contender for once, but I'm tired of swallowing this kind of anticipatory Kool Aid. I'll believe it when I see it - not before.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good analysis! The sky is not falling, no. But of course three losses spark anxiety. 

I'm less optimistic about the boldfaced part. I heard (and made) exactly the same sort of comments around the early phases of the Gainey rebuild, and again the exact same when we had studs like PK and Patches coming up. In fact, similar things were said around 1996 when players such as Koivu, Tucker, Valeri Bure, etc., were emerging. After 25 years of this, and especially after having seen Price's peak years squandered by incompetent GMing, I'm done buying into these hypotheticals. Let's hope the Habs do manage to build a genuine contender for once, but I'm tired of swallowing this kind of anticipatory Kool Aid. I'll believe it when I see it - not before.

I feel much the same way.  This is a playoff team, but a team destined to be bounced in the first round by an opponent that has the top end talent that we lack at all but a couple of positions.  After Price and Weber, there isn't an all-star player on the roster.

50 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I feel much the same way.  This is a playoff team, but a team destined to be bounced in the first round by an opponent that has the top end talent that we lack at all but a couple of positions.  After Price and Weber, there isn't an all-star player on the roster.

I'd like to take the #1 Wild Card spot and face the Islanders (currently), or whoever wins the Metro division in the first round. 

I think if we play the Metro winner, and then the 2/3 team in the Metro, its an easy path and we have a chance to win 1 or 2 rounds.  I don't think any of the teams in the Metro are that good.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed.  But thats better than being the second wildcard and facing Tampa, or even being third and playing the Leafs. 

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

Well - the argument is that in 2-3 years we'll contend because of the quality guys in the system. Not that this year's team is a contender. Nobody believes that.

All I'm saying is that I've heard the '2-3 years from now we'll contend!' over and over and over again since 1993. God bless people who still embrace that message; and I'm not denying that the Habs have quality young assets and prospects. But I've been asking myself for a while why I'm not all that excited by this plucky, likeable young team. I've finally concluded that it's because I've just been in this exact same place once too many times. We've had plenty of likeable, plucky young teams since 1993 and *not once* have we translated that into a sustained, serious contender. The destruction of the 2014/15 group seems to gave been the last straw for me personally, such that I find I can no longer buy into hypotheticals. This is Groundhog Day, or Russian Doll, for me. I'll only believe it isn't, when it isn't.

So many things have to go right for this group to make the leap from good to elite.  Kotka has to become a legit #1 C.  Domi and Drouin must continue to improve.  Weber and Petry can't decline.  Two or three of Poehling, Brook, Romanov etc have to be studs.  Bergevin has to resist the urge to heap money upon a Lucic-Alzner type (a Gallagher extension in a couple of years might fit the bill).  Which is why I thought that this year, and probably the next, were good opportunities to bottom out for the purpose of maxing out later on.  We're obviously too good for that, but hopefully we're not going to be stuck on the treadmill of the league's middle class.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't understand the "squandering" of Price's prime, you say that as if we would have kept Subban and Pacioretty the Habs would have hoisted cup #25 already. "Incompetent GMing" didn't give those players away, they were traded for similar value players. The only difference between now and then, is that there is a crop of high end young roster players and prospects in the system. Habs still have prime Price, Weber is showing no signs of slowing down, Petry is having a career year, and their best forwards are all between 18-26. Add in Suzuki, Poeling, Brook, Romanov pushing for a spot and the cap space available to add an elite UFA if they want. This is not the same situation as any of the previous times you've mentioned. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'd like to take the #1 Wild Card spot and face the Islanders (currently), or whoever wins the Metro division in the first round. 

I think if we play the Metro winner, and then the 2/3 team in the Metro, its an easy path and we have a chance to win 1 or 2 rounds.  I don't think any of the teams in the Metro are that good.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed.  But thats better than being the second wildcard and facing Tampa, or even being third and playing the Leafs. 

Agreed.  Price could potentially steal a series against the Isles even if we struggle to score.  A matchup vs. Tampa, however, most likely results in being swept or out in 5.

4 hours ago, illWill said:

I don't understand the "squandering" of Price's prime, you say that as if we would have kept Subban and Pacioretty the Habs would have hoisted cup #25 already. "Incompetent GMing" didn't give those players away, they were traded for similar value players. The only difference between now and then, is that there is a crop of high end young roster players and prospects in the system. Habs still have prime Price, Weber is showing no signs of slowing down, Petry is having a career year, and their best forwards are all between 18-26. Add in Suzuki, Poeling, Brook, Romanov pushing for a spot and the cap space available to add an elite UFA if they want. This is not the same situation as any of the previous times you've mentioned. 

There is nothing to be gained in rehashing MB’s squandering of what he was given, but while I’d like to think you’re right that This Time is Different, Neech’s post above also has merit. What I am saying is that the Habs have to deliver more than potential, for me personally, after 25 years of disappointment. I’m done believing in hypotheticals.