Game #59 Feb 17, 7:00 Habs vs Panthers

DON

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Drouin is eventually going to cost this team hugely with an idiotic play at a critical time (e.g., a key play in an elimination game).

Others have said they expect Drouin and Domi will shine in playoffs.

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Others have said they expect Drouin and Domi will shine in playoffs.

Domi, I have little doubt.

In Drouin's case, I'm not saying he will never produce in the playoffs. I'm just saying he will make a dumb play that kills us when the chips are down in a major playoff run. He is a ticking time bomb in that sense.

Yes I agree,  Drouin doesnt seem like sharpest tool in shed...hockey wise anyways. But he can skate, with tons of skill and gotta hope more good than bad plays. Kinda like Petry was, but his overall game has improved and just have to hope Drouin can become more consistent to the good as well.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

That LD position is arguably the worst in the league. 

Playing with 3 bottom pair dman

Yeah that's the most impressive thing about how well this squad has played this year.  On paper, the defense is extremely thin.  Two top-4 guys and 4 bottom pairing guys.  

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Time to waive Niemi and give Lindgren a shot? Or try the trade route for a backup, like Miller or one of Philly's dozen goalies?

I think they should be looking for an upgrade at backup (Lindgren isn't much of one at this stage and has had a rough few weeks) but I think they'll keep Niemi.  Everyone in the organization makes a point of talking about what a valuable teammate is and that's probably going to count for something.  If you want a possible upgrade that could be had for cheap, I'd look at Elliott in Philly.  With Hart/Talbot now their tandem, I think they'd move Elliott for cheap.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think they should be looking for an upgrade at backup (Lindgren isn't much of one at this stage and has had a rough few weeks) but I think they'll keep Niemi.  Everyone in the organization makes a point of talking about what a valuable teammate is and that's probably going to count for something.  If you want a possible upgrade that could be had for cheap, I'd look at Elliott in Philly.  With Hart/Talbot now their tandem, I think they'd move Elliott for cheap.

Neimi cannot be trusted. He seems like a great guy, but at the end of the day, he's here to stop the puck. 

11 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Neimi cannot be trusted. He seems like a great guy, but at the end of the day, he's here to stop the puck. 

If you think the Habs can make the playoffs despite Niemi, then keep him. After all, Price will play every playoff game unless he gets hurt; and if he gets hurt, we're dead meat no matter who the backup is. So no point in moving an asset to improve on Niemi at this stage.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you think the Habs can make the playoffs despite Niemi, then keep him. After all, Price will play every playoff game unless he gets hurt; and if he gets hurt, we're dead meat no matter who the backup is. So no point in moving an asset to improve on Niemi at this stage.

There are over 20 games left in the seasom and points are at premium. Price also needs to stay fresh down the stretch and clearly Neimi can't be relied upon

44 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

There are over 20 games left in the seasom and points are at premium. Price also needs to stay fresh down the stretch and clearly Neimi can't be relied upon

He has been so far and Habs still in playoff spot. What has changed?

3 hours ago, DON said:

He has been so far and Habs still in playoff spot. What has changed?

What has changed is that we stretched the elastic band as far as we could in regards to giving too much icetime and responsabilities to 4 of our 6 dmen in front of Niemi.  Everyone but Petry and Weber is playing in the wrong chair.

45 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

What has changed is that we stretched the elastic band as far as we could in regards to giving too much icetime and responsabilities to 4 of our 6 dmen in front of Niemi.  Everyone but Petry and Weber is playing in the wrong chair.

Last year wasnt any different? Niemi sucked at times as well and had zero to do with team in front of him...he simply lets in some soft goals and if make playoffs, he shouldnt see any icetime.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Last year wasnt any different? Niemi sucked at times as well and had zero to do with team in front of him...he simply lets in some soft goals and if make playoffs, he shouldnt see any icetime.

They're going to have to use Niemi for a few more games down the stretch.  Are the Habs more likely to win with him or someone else (be it Lindgren or a trade acquisition)?  Considering it's looking like a point or two might make the difference, it could very well come down to Montreal's backup goalie starts to determine whether they get in or not.  Last season, they were nowhere near the playoffs so it didn't matter if good Niemi or bad Niemi showed up from game to game.  Now it does which makes this a very different situation.

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They're going to have to use Niemi for a few more games down the stretch.  Are the Habs more likely to win with him or someone else (be it Lindgren or a trade acquisition)?  Considering it's looking like a point or two might make the difference, it could very well come down to Montreal's backup goalie starts to determine whether they get in or not.  Last season, they were nowhere near the playoffs so it didn't matter if good Niemi or bad Niemi showed up from game to game.  Now it does which makes this a very different situation.

If one view's sneaking into playoffs as the goal...barring an upgrade in this roster, a cup run seems pretty far-fetched.

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I am ok letting Niemi's contract run to the end without a trade. Unless an NHL backup is available and could do the job until Primeau is ready

5 hours ago, DON said:

If one view's sneaking into playoffs as the goal...barring an upgrade in this roster, a cup run seems pretty far-fetched.

No one said anything about a Cup run.  I think their goal is to make the playoffs and give a pretty young roster some postseason experience while fully knowing they won't last too long barring a few surprises along the way.  If a cheap upgrade at backup would help them achieve that goal, then they should pursue it.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am ok letting Niemi's contract run to the end without a trade. Unless an NHL backup is available and could do the job until Primeau is ready

There's a big gap between the end of Niemi's contract (this season) and when Primeau will be NHL ready (probably three years at a minimum).  That's Lindgren's timeline in all likelihood but he hasn't played well lately in Laval so he's not a great short-term option either.  Even if they add a goalie, I could see the Habs holding onto Niemi as the third-stringer.  They like him in the room and in theory, he could spell Price in practice (especially in the playoffs).

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

No one said anything about a Cup run.  I think their goal is to make the playoffs and give a pretty young roster some postseason experience while fully knowing they won't last too long barring a few surprises along the way.  If a cheap upgrade at backup would help them achieve that goal, then they should pursue it.

Yep, that's why I said above that IF you think you can make the playoffs with Niemi as backup, you keep him. If not, then upgrade. Personally I think they can. Despite all the upcoming road games, they just went through the Death Valley part of the schedule, the very useful Byron is back, and a decent number of Ws should start coming again. 

Of course, if you can get an upgrade on the cheap (eg, 6th rounder or something) then it should still be done. There's not much wiggle room in this wild card race. But I wouldn't be inclined to give up much.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep, that's why I said above that IF you think you can make the playoffs with Niemi as backup, you keep him. If not, then upgrade. Personally I think they can. Despite all the upcoming road games, they just went through the Death Valley part of the schedule, the very useful Byron is back, and a decent number of Ws should start coming again. 

Of course, if you can get an upgrade on the cheap (eg, 6th rounder or something) then it should still be done. There's not much wiggle room in this wild card race. But I wouldn't be inclined to give up much.

Actually seems wild card spot is there for taking, looking like only is Carolina to contend with those IN right now and hopefully they decide to be sellers with another loss or two before Monday (but are playing Panthers and Dallas so flip a coin who wins those games between 3 weak teams).