Will there be trade deadline moves in 2019?

xXx..CK..xXx

Of course there will be. And if not, there already has been some adjustments made with the acquisitions of Nate Thompson and Dale Weise. With that being said, I'm asking opinions on whether or not there will be any deals that significantly improve our team either in the short term or long term. In the short term, I'm thinking that something would have to be done to improve our chances this year. Someone like Cam Fowler in Anaheim, or Mark Stone or Wayne Simmonds would be additions that would at least change the dynamic of the team. There are certainly a few more options.

Taking on bad contracts is another thing I've heard suggested. This could perhaps be something that helps us not only in the short term but as well as in the future if we can get someone young like Puljujarvi in return in addition to a bad contract, as an example.

In the end, my opinion is that we won't see anything out of the ordinary completed within the next 72 hours. I'm always as a fan going to remain one of those who thinks 55% about "this season" and 45% about the future. Columbus has added a player of skill and I do think the Habs would have to complete something more in order to have a shot at playing a few rounds this spring. Teams don't explicitly have to make moves at the deadline in order to have a chance. Sometimes moves can actually have a negative impact on certain chemistry. It's just that the Habs have to. They are a wildcard playoff team, similar to Columbus and a key acquisition would only aid their chances. I'm simply not expecting it this year. Ironically, the last year I can remember believing we had a chance was a year Bergevin acquired Vanek at the deadline. Since then, we've mostly opted for depth moves and future aspirations and expectations have rightly so remained low. Let's see what happens.

Anything is possible with Marc Bergevin.  He is very unpredictable when it comes to trades.  If he can get an impact player for below market value, I could see him making a trade.  I don't see him trying to compete with other offers that are getting out of hand (like the Duchene trade).  So basically if there is a 2013-14 Vanek for a 2nd and Collberg type deal out there.  He said he wouldn't be in the rental market, but I think that type of trade would just be too tempting to pass up for him.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

not use cap space again?

It's easy to say let's use cap space to take on a bad player but there aren't many teams that need to do it (I had a hard time thinking of others beyond the three I put in the deadline primer on the main site) and there could very well be others willing to do it.  I also think those deals are more likely on June 29th/30th when a team is really in a bind than they are now as there's more leverage at play.

I'll be interested to see if Carolina does anything more than we do at the deadline. Pittsburgh has picked up Bjugstad, although they had to give up on an underperforming Brassard in return. Columbus has acquired Dzingel and Duchene, and may not be finished wheeling and dealing. So far Montreal has added only 4th line and fringe players in Thompson and Weise. Carolina has remained fairly quiet so far as well. Although there are 4 teams in similar position I think the battle may turn out to be between Carolina and Montreal when it comes to making the playoffs. I think we can finish as the higher wildcard but one of Pittsburgh or Columbus will definitely make the playoffs. Perhaps both teams' (Carolina and Montreal) activity, or lackthereof in the next coming day or so will have a determining impact on their respective places in the final standings. I'm hoping yet not hopeful for a move.

So far there's been one move (Chaput for Weal) by 11:50 am EST. I'm predicting 2 more moves by the end of the day. Unlikely that there's anything of significance. I find it unfortunate because there are possibilities out there. 

Come to think of it, when it comes to my previous post about Carolina, while they've been quiet so far today, let's not forget that they sent Viktor Rask packing in return for Nino Niederreiter not too long ago. Outside of that, they've been linked to selling rather than buying, but that move can turn out to be a fairly solid one for them this season should they manage to squeak into the playoffs. 

Three hours left but when I compare the four teams competing for 3 spots in the east, I would rate their trade deadline (and weeks up to the deadline) as follows:

1) Columbus

2) Carolina

3) Pittsburgh

4) Montreal

Perhaps I'm being too hard on the Habs as they've been even more active than Carolina and Pittsburgh but aside from being somewhat pleased that we won't have Chaput and Agostino on our 4th line, there's not much to talk about. 

I get that it's boring to see the Habs do nothing, but really, I don't see a lot of potential moves to make that amount to more than tinkering at the edges. I for one don't want to see picks or prospects going for immediate help/rentals. Nor do I think vets like Petry are going to be in play considering that we're on the bubble with a very good chance to make the playoffs. The situation just does not favour leveraging the deadline to make a move. Summer is much more promising.

It's not about it being bored seeing the Habs doing nothing. This was the last day Bergevin had this season to fix issues everyone and their mother has known about for weeks to months:

1) a crappy powerplay

2) a top 4 lefthanded defenseman

3) awful backup goaltending

4) a 4th line his coach didn't like

5) actual forwards for Laval

One for five. (Kind of like the Habs powerplay.)

I'm miffed. This is the 2017 deadline all over again, except this time they could slide out of a playoff spot while Julien tinkers with 10 minute players.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

It's not about it being bored seeing the Habs doing nothing. This was the last day Bergevin had this season to fix issues everyone and their mother has known about for weeks to months:

1) a crappy powerplay

2) a top 4 lefthanded defenseman

3) awful backup goaltending

4) a 4th line his coach didn't like

5) actual forwards for Laval

One for five. (Kind of like the Habs powerplay.)

I'm miffed. This is the 2017 deadline all over again, except this time they could slide out of a playoff spot while Julien tinkers with 10 minute players.

Well, he already made moves to address (4) and perhaps even (5). That's the definition of 'tinkering around the edges.'

I agree that (3) might have been addressed at relatively low cost, although I don't really know who was out there and available and what the cost would have been. I said earlier that IF you think the Habs can make the playoffs with Niemi, then there is no point in giving up assets for a backup. Presumably MB feels the Habs can make the playoffs with Niemi, then. It's not a crazy proposition.

(1) and (2) are the serious issues - I would actually add (6) upgrading on the talent we have at FW - and addressing them would almost certainly have involved giving up major picks and prospects. Since this team isn't winning the Cup anyhow, I don't see the urgency of buying in a seller's market, when prices are at their absolute peak. Now I know MB has a history of waiting for an eternity to address actual problems. But that's not a reason not to wait a while.

It's not enough just to say "MB, fix this." Your critique about (1) and (2) would only be convincing if you could identify players who got moved, who would have helped us there, and who you'd have been happy to see the Habs acquire at a price analogous to that which was actually paid. 

A further thought is that your critique is easier to sustain if you are happy to move key vets like Petry in order to get prospects who will address (1) and (2) eventually. Problem is, very few teams will move key cogs when they have a very realistic chance to make the playoffs - and I don't blame MB for not doing it.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather be the Habs with 10 picks in the 2019 draft than the Jackets with 2. 

Anyway, my only surprise is that Chaput was traded rather than Hudon. I'm happy that the team stuck to their guns and didn't move picks for anything.

Was hoping Bergevin would surprise us with a blockbuster. I didn't want a pure rental, although acquiring Nyquist for a 2nd rounder would have been easy to swallow. I had a hunch that whoever got Stone was going to also sign him to an extension, and I think I would have been okay sending one of our best prospects to make that deal. I would have liked Simmonds as well but only if he resigned. Other than that, not much out there that I feel we missed out on. It's too bad there weren't any high end LD available that we could have got our hands on

What happened today certainly wasn't the end of the world. With that being said, a team like Columbus has gone from a fringe playoff team to a team that many would now have as one of the top two tiers of contenders in the East. I'd go so far as to say that in fact according to many analysts, Columbus has become one of the top two or three favorites in the East. I don't believe there's such a thing as being a consistent top tier contender for a decade anymore so we shouldn't always be thinking about the long term in every scenario. Aren't some here often questioning when we'll be considered a top tier contender? Well, it doesn't have to be every year, but it could be in years like this.

It's one thing to have a plan. But we as fans have accepted a narrative that the right thing to do is to stand pat and save our assets. This plan is mostly instilled within us because of how terrible last season was and so our expectations were low heading into this year. Last year, we had many people stating that the Habs could perhaps turn things around in "2 or 3 years" and while that may be true, I never thought it had to be that long. An unexpected hot streak from a few players and a few savvy moves within the season can have a team competing hard in the playoffs. 

As this season has progressed, and expectations have changed, why can't a general manager show the locker room that their hard work will be rewarded? Dallas is the Montreal of the West, standings wise, and they traded for a player like Zuccarello. Someone to lift the locker room up. Colorado is fighting for a playoff spot and picked up Brassard for a 3rd. Losing a prospect, 2nd or 3rd round draft should not be considered a high cost during a season where one's team could make the playoffs. This is without beginning to mention that acquiring an impact player could help solidify a team's place within the playoffs.

I'm hopeful we'll make the playoffs. It's also typical to perhaps irrationally assume that adding a player or two as suggested would even have enormous enough of an impact. The East was there for the taking, however. In the end, it doesn't seem as though we made very much in the way of impactful moves. I'd think it will come down to us versus Carolina for the final playoff spot in the East. Hopefully Niederreiter won't be a difference maker.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, he already made moves to address (4) and perhaps even (5). That's the definition of 'tinkering around the edges.'

I agree that (3) might have been addressed at relatively low cost, although I don't really know who was out there and available and what the cost would have been. I said earlier that IF you think the Habs can make the playoffs with Niemi, then there is no point in giving up assets for a backup. Presumably MB feels the Habs can make the playoffs with Niemi, then. It's not a crazy proposition.

(1) and (2) are the serious issues - I would actually add (6) upgrading on the talent we have at FW - and addressing them would almost certainly have involved giving up major picks and prospects. Since this team isn't winning the Cup anyhow, I don't see the urgency of buying in a seller's market, when prices are at their absolute peak. Now I know MB has a history of waiting for an eternity to address actual problems. But that's not a reason not to wait a while.

It's not enough just to say "MB, fix this." Your critique about (1) and (2) would only be convincing if you could identify players who got moved, who would have helped us there, and who you'd have been happy to see the Habs acquire at a price analogous to that which was actually paid. 

A further thought is that your critique is easier to sustain if you are happy to move key vets like Petry in order to get prospects who will address (1) and (2) eventually. Problem is, very few teams will move key cogs when they have a very realistic chance to make the playoffs - and I don't blame MB for not doing it.

Bergevin gutted (5) to fix (4). Now focusing on NHL over the AHL generally makes sense, and I may care about surrounding prospects in Laval with talent to help boost them a bit more than others do, but did we really need to lose Froese and Chaput to give Julien 7 options for the 4th line? Is Hudon (probably) sitting for the rest of the season going to get you better value to trade him at the draft than trading him now (or 3 months ago when it was first apparent Julien didn't like playing him)? 

I disagree with the requirement to name traded players Bergevin could have gotten to have a valid critique. I thought rental prices were pretty low outside of the Big 3, but this isn't about rentals. It's Bergevin's JOB to fix team needs. How long is he going to get a pass for giving Weber sub-par d partners? Whether the Habs were a playoff team or not this season doesn't change the importance of bringing in a top 4 LH defenseman. Is everyone actually content to sit here and say "well, be patient, cause Romanov might be that guy in about 4 years"?!? Habs have assets, they have prospects... find a ####ing top 4 defenseman.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is the status of Laval's healthy forwards at the moment:

NHL contracts: Alain, Audette, Evans, Pezzetta, Vejdemo, Verbeek

AHL contracts: Adams-Moisan, Belzile, Grenier, Martineau, Jevpalovs

ECHL guys signed to AHL tryouts to give them 12 actual healthy forwards: Kile, Roy

Bergevin has done nothing but systematically eradicate anything resembling forward depth all season long.  Lost Agostino for nothing on waivers, no move to replace him.  Traded Froese to Philly, no move to replace him.  Moves Chaput today, no corresponding move to replace him.  Shinkaruk, McCarron, and Waked all out for the season, no moves other than signing the ECHL guys to replace them.  Declined to bring Scherbak back when it literally would have cost nothing to do so.

Long story short, I respectfully disagree that he has done anything to address number 5 from that list.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is the status of Laval's healthy forwards at the moment:

NHL contracts: Alain, Audette, Evans, Pezzetta, Vejdemo, Verbeek

AHL contracts: Adams-Moisan, Belzile, Grenier, Martineau, Jevpalovs

ECHL guys signed to AHL tryouts to give them 12 actual healthy forwards: Kile, Roy

Bergevin has done nothing but systematically eradicate anything resembling forward depth all season long.  Lost Agostino for nothing on waivers, no move to replace him.  Traded Froese to Philly, no move to replace him.  Moves Chaput today, no corresponding move to replace him.  Shinkaruk, McCarron, and Waked all out for the season, no moves other than signing the ECHL guys to replace them.  Declined to bring Scherbak back when it literally would have cost nothing to do so.

Long story short, I respectfully disagree that he has done anything to address number 5 from that list.

Fair enough! I stand duly abashed.

44 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bergevin gutted (5) to fix (4). Now focusing on NHL over the AHL generally makes sense, and I may care about surrounding prospects in Laval with talent to help boost them a bit more than others do, but did we really need to lose Froese and Chaput to give Julien 7 options for the 4th line? Is Hudon (probably) sitting for the rest of the season going to get you better value to trade him at the draft than trading him now (or 3 months ago when it was first apparent Julien didn't like playing him)? 

I disagree with the requirement to name traded players Bergevin could have gotten to have a valid critique. I thought rental prices were pretty low outside of the Big 3, but this isn't about rentals. It's Bergevin's JOB to fix team needs. How long is he going to get a pass for giving Weber sub-par d partners? Whether the Habs were a playoff team or not this season doesn't change the importance of bringing in a top 4 LH defenseman. Is everyone actually content to sit here and say "well, be patient, cause Romanov might be that guy in about 4 years"?!? Habs have assets, they have prospects... find a ####ing top 4 defenseman.

Totally agree with the boldfaced part for sure. I just didn't think we HAD to fix those holes right now. After years of being a f**king joke of a GM, he finally had a good year where almost every card he played turned up trumps. He now needs to do build on that - absolutely. But whether it happened today or happens this summer, makes little difference to me.

4 hours ago, illWill said:

Was hoping Bergevin would surprise us with a blockbuster. I didn't want a pure rental, although acquiring Nyquist for a 2nd rounder would have been easy to swallow. I had a hunch that whoever got Stone was going to also sign him to an extension, and I think I would have been okay sending one of our best prospects to make that deal. I would have liked Simmonds as well but only if he resigned. Other than that, not much out there that I feel we missed out on. It's too bad there weren't any high end LD available that we could have got our hands on

Do you think Ottawa would have traded Stone to Montreal, knowing he'd sign an extension?  

Dorion is so dead set against trades in his own division, i doubt they would do it