Will there be trade deadline moves in 2019?

xXx..CK..xXx

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Bergevin gutted (5) to fix (4). Now focusing on NHL over the AHL generally makes sense, and I may care about surrounding prospects in Laval with talent to help boost them a bit more than others do, but did we really need to lose Froese and Chaput to give Julien 7 options for the 4th line? Is Hudon (probably) sitting for the rest of the season going to get you better value to trade him at the draft than trading him now (or 3 months ago when it was first apparent Julien didn't like playing him)? 

I disagree with the requirement to name traded players Bergevin could have gotten to have a valid critique. I thought rental prices were pretty low outside of the Big 3, but this isn't about rentals. It's Bergevin's JOB to fix team needs. How long is he going to get a pass for giving Weber sub-par d partners? Whether the Habs were a playoff team or not this season doesn't change the importance of bringing in a top 4 LH defenseman. Is everyone actually content to sit here and say "well, be patient, cause Romanov might be that guy in about 4 years"?!? Habs have assets, they have prospects... find a ####ing top 4 defenseman.

I agree he needs to find a top 4 defenceman.

However, the summer is the time to do that, not the trade deadline.  

The deadline is fine for rentals, it rarely leads to moves that solve long term problems

I've criticized Bergevin plenty on this site (and on my own), so you know I'm all over that if I think he deserves criticism.  If he starts next year's training camp without at least 1 top 4 LHD acquired, I'll be right there with you complaining.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree he needs to find a top 4 defenceman.

However, the summer is the time to do that, not the trade deadline.  

The deadline is fine for rentals, it rarely leads to moves that solve long term problems

I've criticized Bergevin plenty on this site (and on my own), so you know I'm all over that if I think he deserves criticism.  If he starts next year's training camp without at least 1 top 4 LHD acquired, I'll be right there with you complaining.

The problem is this will be the 3rd summer in a row we'll be saying that.

10 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

The problem is this will be the 3rd summer in a row we'll be saying that.

1st summer.... agree it was a huge fail.  It needed to be done in 2017.  He had the worst summer of any GM in the league that year, and I criticized him big time for it. 

Last Summer.... we never thought we were a contender.  He was making moves to get younger.  He can say he thought we'd fight for a playoff spot, but really that wasn't the type of moves he was making.  If he really thought we were good he wouldn't have left all the empty cap space. So I don't blame him for that.

This is the year of reckoning IMO.

I think it was one of the most obvious things that this organization needed to have an immediate successor to Andrei Markov.  He should have mentored someone until his departure and this someone should be playing top pair LD for the Habs right now.  Now this very obvious thought process has gotten lost in the fog.  

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Depends on if you were in the camp that felt Koivu was a legit #1 centreman or not...

Just under Bergevin's tenure this has been the first year centre is a position of mild strength, and that's because he gambled on a winger being able to make the switch (as he tried and failed the previous year with Drouin).