Deadline Day Discussion

dlbalr

On 2/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, Commandant said:

On our roster, Shea Weber and Carey Price are worth that cap hit. 

I don't think we have any forwards currently worth that cap hit either. 

Will Domi be looking at the 8M range if he finishes with 70+ points?  I wonder if Bergevin will try to extend him this summer or wait till the next.

20 minutes ago, Neech said:

Will Domi be looking at the 8M range if he finishes with 70+ points?  I wonder if Bergevin will try to extend him this summer or wait till the next.

I think that Bergevin is very value oriented, so if that means locking Domi up soon at a salary that is reflective his career now, or if it means waiting to see some production from him into next season, or if he waits till Domi is RFA, he will do whatever seems like the best deal at the time. It also falls on the shoulders of Domi's agent and his expectations. 

47 minutes ago, Neech said:

Probably not after one year (and if he is, Bergevin would be wise to wait).  Given the outlier that this season is, the cautious approach is to wait until next year to see if it was a fluke and I think it may be the right one.  (I also happen to think he's playing over his head a little bit so I'd be inclined to wait.)

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Probably not after one year (and if he is, Bergevin would be wise to wait).  Given the outlier that this season is, the cautious approach is to wait until next year to see if it was a fluke and I think it may be the right one.  (I also happen to think he's playing over his head a little bit so I'd be inclined to wait.)

Yes,  last two years he only had 9g each year. But, do hope it is just maturation and he will beome a less scummy Marchand-type for years to come.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yes,  last two years he only had 9g each year. But, do hope it is just maturation and he will beome a less scummy Marchand-type for years to come.

When you look at Gallagher and Marchand's stats during their respective careers,  they were very similar.  Gallagher is just 3-4 years younger.  Either this year or next year is when Gallagher should break out into elite, as Marchand did with 85 points in his 8 or 9th season. 

With Domi having out-pointed Gallagher with relative ease this year while being 3 years younger,  it's not out of the realm of possibility that Domi will become a less nutty Marchand type.  If not better.  

Of course there's merit to Brian's comment in regards to Domi playing over his head, however it's also entirely possible that he truly embraces being part of this original 6 rival of his father's, and continues to flourish for years to come.  Goals will be the most interesting thing to keep an eye on,  and whether or not he can score 20+ on a consistent basis. 

On Brian's side of the argument is his track record prior to coming here. On the other side of the argument is his pedigree (13th overall pick, his rating likely deflated a bit by the anti-size bias still prevalent in 2013) and the facts that he is over his injuries and also developing as a young player. Finally. the move to C may have been the ultimate lucky strike in managing both to solve the Habs' joke of a situation at that position *and* bring out the untapped best in the player.

I'm going to take an unusual line for me and be optimistic about this. My gut says Domi is for real. As dumbass as Bergevon has been, he hit a grand-slam home run with that trade.