I forget

JLP

So we'll have Koivu centering the first line with maybe Kovalev and who else?

Ribs with Zednick on the second with...

Souray with someone on first defence pairing

Theodore will be in nets...

umm...

(?)

Oh yeah, Bonk centers the third line.

can we start speculating now?

Zednik will be on the first line with Koivu and Ribs will be with Ryder. Those pairings are almost certain, given their chemisty. As for the other wingers on those lines, it's a different story.

Kovalev could still be back, and if so he'll obviously join Koivu and Zednik. If he doesn't re-sign, Perezhogin may get a chance to take that wing. Other than that, a FA may be needed.

On the second line, it's likely between Hossa and Dagenais. I think Hossa has to clear waivers to be sent down now, so he will get his last shot like Ribs did last season. Dagenais plays well with Ribs and after last season it looked like he was making a strong effot to improve his overall game. Personally, I like that kind of dedication.

Third line will likely be Bulis, Bonk, and Sundstrom.

Fourth line likely to be Plekaneck/Higgins, Begin, and Ward.

Markov supposedly is staying in Russia, which would be terrible for the Habs. That would leave us with Brisebois, Rivet, Komisarek, Hainsey, Souray, and Bouillon. Also, there is speculation Brisebois' contract will be bought out, leaving the D in further shambles. A FA D-man is a must, even if Brisebois and Markov are both back.

As for Markov - there were speculations about a pre-contract with a RSL team but I'm pretty sure right now that he'll come back.

But as you said, we need some defencive help. Zhitnik world be surely a good option here.

Zednik-Koivu-UFA

Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

UFA-Begin-Ward

Souray-Komisarek

Markov-Rivet

Bouillon-Breezer

Hainsey

That's the lineup I expect to see.

If the UFA on the first line isn't Kovy, it'll be another good UFA... the other UFA would be the Langdon replacement.

I'd rather have Hossa in Sundstrom's spot, dropping Sunny to 4th line or the press box... depth guy in case of injuries.

Plekanec will have to make the team or be moved soon, he's peaked in the AHL and will only lose value from this point on.

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't wan Brisebois gone. He's the last remaining member of the '93 Cup team, and is a career habs. I'd like to see him play his whole career in a Habs uni. He's had his ups and downs, but he's a good habs.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't wan Brisebois gone.  He's the last remaining member of the '93 Cup team, and is a career habs.  I'd like to see him play his whole career in a Habs uni.  He's had his ups and downs, but he's a good habs.

When Breezer slipped down the depth chart to where he belongs... a #4-6 D man... if had a very good year.

Our right-D prospects are awful weak... no help coming from there.

Plus he wants to remain a habs, and BG can get him to re-sign cheaper than a comparable UFA replacement would... which in a salary cap environment is something to consider.

For those reasons I am confident BG will negotiate an extension with Breezer, and I will be happy to see him do it.

The D man I cannot stand, who also costs a lot and sucked last season & long before that... is Rivet.

I hope we trade him and bring a capable replacement in.

On the left side we're fine with Souray, Markov, and Bouillon/Hainsey battling it out.

Thanks guys!

The old team is starting to come back to me now. I hope we get Kovalev back we'd have one of the highest-scoring first lines in the league.

Any possibility Brisebois renegotiates for a lower salary? And Rivet, man is set to make like $4 mil this year, is that right?

Brisebois is the one at 4 million, Rivet is "only" 3 million. Hopefully Komisarek will take Rivet's role as the guy to stand up for his teammates. Right now, that's the only thing that keeps me from wanting him gone.

Brisebois is the one at 4 million, Rivet is "only" 3 million. (Note that with the rollback Brisebois will earn 3 million and Rivet around 2.3 million.)

Hopefully Komisarek will take Rivet's role as the guy to stand up for his teammates. Right now, that's the only thing that keeps me from wanting Rivet gone. Souray would be good to fill that role, but he doesn't need to be busting his wrists up again. Rivet's a decent enough player, just not worth that money.

I highly doubt Kovalev will be back. The Habs are on the border of the proposed salary cap.

Koivu and Zednik have chemistry IMO, play a similiar style so it only makes sense to keep them together. Ont he right side I would personally put Kostitsyn. That would be the fastest line in the league. He'll never be a top notch defensive player so it's not necessary to play him with the top defensive players on the team.

Bonk would be my #2 centre. He's bigger, better offensive skills and has a stronger defensive game as Ribeiro. Ryder would be a good fit with Bonk. Assuming Perezhogin will be playing, he would be a fine fit for the left side. However, Higgins might be ready to step right in and frankly whoever has the better camp should probably get the spot on this line.

Dagenais and Ribeiro obviously have chemistry and I am not one who will give up on Pierre simply because he had a weak playoff. Bulis would be a good fit on the other side IMO.

Fourth line, I am not a fan of playing young stars on the bottom line. So my fourth line would consist of Ward, Begin and Sundstrom.

Hossa will need to really impress in camp to get a spot on the team. If he does and has a strong start, I would look to move either Dagenais or Bulis.

Plekanec is a wild card. Habs are deep at centre for the first time in years. It will be hard for Tomas to crack the lineup, inless Claude wants to play him on the fourth line.

Locke will probably stay in Hamilton for another year. Chipchura will join him there as well.

Defense is easier. Souray, Markov, Komisarek, Rivet and Briesbois are all locks. That leaves 1 spot. I have never been a huge Francis Bouillon fan, he is extremley undersized for his position. Dykhuis should be cut, so that leaves Hainsey inless the Habs draft a blueliner who is ready to step in.

Goalie is a no brainer. Theodore is the man, and Huet is a very respectable backup.

I agree with you for most of you collum but not the plekenec or Bouillon parts. I think that plekenec could see himself on the 2nd or third line instead of kostsitsyn because kosty need some more experience. Perhaps he'll come up later in the year but not right away. Now for the Bouillon contraversy i thing that yes Bouillon is a undersized player but hes a fantastic player that hold his ground. He has never dissapointed me with his play as Dykhuis and Hainsey have. He alwayss plays with 200 % and never gives up. He has alot of heart which compensates his size. He will never be a great goal scorer i don't think but he will become a solid defensemen that montreal can count on it various situations.

Heart is good but when you're a midget and playing against guys like Chara who are almost a foot taller then you, it hurts your game. Don't get me wrong, like his hussle and determination, but if this team is going to take a step forward they cannot relay on a guy of Bouillon's size to handle huge wingers.

First of all, I will work off of the latest report of a 39 million dollar cap.

If the currect contracts are still honored (meaning 2004-2005 contracts work for 2005-2006, etc), we can put together the following team for about 31 million dollars:

Zednik-Koivu-Perezhogin

Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder (Still an RFA, probably will get around a million a year)

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Higgins-Begin-Ward

Souray-Brisebois

Markov-Komisarek

Hainsey- Rivet

Theodore

Huet

Add in a depth D-man (Bouillon) and a couple depth forwards, and we're adding maybe 2.5 million. That puts us at 33.5 million, with 5.5 million left to spend. If we can convince Kovalev with come back for around 3.5 million, we could still afford a d-man like Zhitnik.

Using the same lines given above, if 2004-2005 contracts are voided, players under contract will be using 17.3 million of the cap, with the following RFAs needing to be resigned (q-offers taken from GoHabs2002's post):

Bulis (rollbacked q-offer: 1.026M)

Dagenais (rollback q-offer: .38M)

Koivu: (rollback q-offer: 3.42M)

Markov: (rollback q-offer: 1.368M)

Ribeiro: (rollback q-offer: 1.178M)

Theodore: rollback q-offer: 4.56M)

Ward: rollback q-offer: .608M)

Let's assume each asks for a 500,000 raise, that puts the team at 33.1 million. Again add in Bouillon and 2 depth forwards, and we're at about 35.5 million. This leaves us with 3.5 million in cap room. That's enough money to sign a D-man and a decent forward, though Kovalev would almost certainly be gone.

Overall, as long as we can sign a defenceman, I think we'll have a competitive team, and I am confident we will be able to find a way to afford one.

[Edited on 7-10-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Heart is good but when you're a midget and playing against guys like Chara who are almost a foot taller then you, it hurts your game. Don't get me wrong, like his hussle and determination, but if this team is going to take a step forward they cannot relay on a guy of Bouillon's size to handle huge wingers.  

But if we want to take a step forward, you can't also throw in 3 or 4 youngsters at the same time.

Kostitsyn surely need some more time in the AHL. Right now I can only see Plekanec or Higgins grabbing a spot with the big team.

I highly doubt Kovalev will be back. The Habs are on the border of the proposed salary cap.

We have money for one top line player, but I'm not convinced it'll be Kovalev because Pittsburgh wants him and they have the cap room to overpay.

Plus no pesky defensive system to worry about there.

But if not Kovalev, then it'll be somebody else.

Koivu and Zednik have chemistry IMO, play a similiar style so it only makes sense to keep them together. Ont he right side I would personally put Kostitsyn. That would be the fastest line in the league. He'll never be a top notch defensive player so it's not necessary to play him with the top defensive players on the team.

Weird reasoning, he sucks on D... so let's play him with others who suck on D as well?

That aside, I think we'll end up with Kostitsyn & Perezhogin as the top 2 RWers... try them with either combo of Zed-Koivu or Ryder-Ribs and just see which combination will have chemistry.

I don't think Kostitsyn is ready though, at least one more year in Hamilton IMO.

Bonk would be my #2 centre. He's bigger, better offensive skills and has a stronger defensive game as Ribeiro. Ryder would be a good fit with Bonk. Assuming Perezhogin will be playing, he would be a fine fit for the left side. However, Higgins might be ready to step right in and frankly whoever has the better camp should probably get the spot on this line.

Bonk is bigger and has better D, but better offensive skills... yeah right.

You don't break the Ryder/Ribs chemistry that had them the top two point getters on the team last year. The key is to find them a suitable winger to complete the line.

Screw Dagenais, he can't play hockey... all he can do is shoot, not good enough. He can be a cheap spare part in the press box in case of injury, but no way does should he come back as a starter. His spot should go to Perezhogin or a UFA.

As for the 3rd line, that's where Bonk comes in... on a defensive line that will be an upgrade on size & offensive ability over the Juneau days.

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa would be a very good 3rd line, size, defense, offensive potential all in one.

I also believe Zednik should be traded, if not now then next year. He's not a first liner, no vision, very inconsistent effort... not a fan.

As Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hossa joining the ranks in the next year or two... to me Zednik is the one who should eventually get traded to make room.

Originally posted by Habs77

I also believe Zednik should be traded, if not now then next year. He's not a first liner, no vision, very inconsistent effort... not a fan.

As Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hossa joining the ranks in the next year or two... to me Zednik is the one who should eventually get traded to make room.

AHHH... I'm horrified!!!... :o

lol, big Zed fan here, but there is truth in what you say.

Personally I hope we keep him, even if he has to play 2nd line or something :P. But players do tend to come and go.... Recchi was my old favorite.

Meh, it's up to Gainey now, I've got faith in him, so if it has to be done, it'll be done :).

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev (until he isn't signed, he's in)

Perezhogin - Ribiero - Ryder (pretty young line, but fits)

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom/Dags/Higgins

Higgins/Sundstrom- Begin - Ward

I get the feeling I'm really gonna enjoy watching the 3rd line this year. Also of note, I think Plekanec will be traded cause I don't think there currently is a spot for him on the team.

Souray - Komisarek

Markov - Rivet

Brisebois - Hainsey/Boullion

Hainsey in till he's traded.

Career point per game averages:

0.58 - Bonk

0.52 - Ribeiro

Only reason Bonk's is so low even close to Ribeiro's is because Bonk struggled his first few year since North America. However if you look at his #'s since 2000, he is a solid offensive player.

2000: 80 GP 23-37-60

2001: 74 GP 23-36-59

2002: 82 GP 25-45-70

2003: 70 GP 22-32-54

2004: 66 GP 12-32-44

That works out to an average of 23 goals and 40 assists for an average of 63 points per 82 games over Bonk's last 5 regular seasons.

The day Mike Ribeiro is as consistant as that is a day I'll admit he has a better offensive game then Bonk, until then :lol:

[Edited on 2005/7/11 by Leafs Suck]

I think I'm the only one who thinks we should play Bonk at LW on the 2nd line...lol

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Bonk-Ribeiro-Ryder

Higgins-Bulis-Perezhogin

Begin-Plekanec-Ward

IMO, Dagenais should be gone...don't care where so long as it's not on the Habs.

Bonk brings a nice element of size and D to the 2nd line. The 3rd line is young but has loads of promise. Bulis can handle the role at C no problem and both Higgins and Zhog need to develop in the NHL. The 4th line is chalk full of grit, can bang, play strong D and still score some goals.

It also means only signing 1 guy(Kovalev) at forward and maintains a lot of chemistry that was built over the previous season. Which means more $$$ to sign a very good D-man. Rumour is that even a guy like Pronger will probably only get $4.5 - $5 million a year...with 1-2 releases we should have the money for a top D and a top forward.

Career point per game averages:

0.58 - Bonk

0.52 - Ribeiro

Only reason Bonk's is so low even close to Ribeiro's is because Bonk struggled his first few year since North America. However if you look at his #'s since 2000, he is a solid offensive player.

2000: 80 GP 23-37-60

2001: 74 GP 23-36-59

2002: 82 GP 25-45-70

2003: 70 GP 22-32-54

2004: 66 GP 12-32-44

That works out to an average of 23 goals and 40 assists for an average of 63 points per 82 games over Bonk's last 5 regular seasons.

The day Mike Ribeiro is as consistant as that is a day I'll admit he has a better offensive game then Bonk, until then :lol:

[Edited on 2005/7/11 by Leafs Suck]

The day you give Ribeiro a winger like Marian Hossa, he'll crush those point totals without blinking.

Give Bonk the linemates Ribeiro had last year... and watch a lot of those points go bye-bye.

Talent wise, Bonk has never delivered on his offensive potential... which is the very reason why OTT let him go.

That's no secret.

And how the hell can you compare pt/game averages, are you counting all the games where Ribs barely played a shift on the 4th line his first few years?... way to artificially bring down a guy's avg.

Try comparing both their averages once they were playing full time on the top lines.

Then Ribs beats your Bonk, in his rookie year and with no-name wingers instead of Marian Hossa for Bonk.

The only knock on Ribs is that he has yet the opportunity to prove he can do it year after year.

With his linemates hopefully being upgraded, and himself improving... he should have no trouble doing so.

Being bumped off the 1st PP won't help, but he should still get 60+ points this year... barring injuries.

He'll outpoint Bonk no problem.