4 Teams - 1 Playoff Race

xXx..CK..xXx

I think it's safe to say that if the Habs make it in the playoffs as the number 8 seed, it's gonna be a very short playoff season for our boys. They'd be stuck playing Tampa and I don't see us winning more than 1 game against Tampa.

Ideally, you want to finish 7th, so you can move over to the metropolitan division, but for that to happen, the Habs are gonna have to start winning some games. Carolina is in 7th, they have the same number of points as the Habs, except they have two games in hand.  It's gonna be tough!

2 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I think it's safe to say that if the Habs make it in the playoffs as the number 8 seed, it's gonna be a very short playoff season for our boys. They'd be stuck playing Tampa and I don't see us winning more than 1 game against Tampa.

Ideally, you want to finish 7th, so you can move over to the metropolitan division, but for that to happen, the Habs are gonna have to start winning some games. Carolina is in 7th, they have the same number of points as the Habs, except they have two games in hand.  It's gonna be tough!

I agree, but think will be so tough...it just aint happening.

34 minutes ago, DON said:

I agree, but think will be so tough...it just aint happening.

One never knows. All it takes is a late-season collapse by one of our three competitors, and the pictures changes completely.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

One never knows. All it takes is a late-season collapse by one of our three competitors, and the pictures changes completely.

Is odd though, that i am the only reply-er to pick Habs to miss...me thinks some need to take off rose-coloured hab-glasses and be more objective. But, hate to be negative and do hope i am out to lunch.

(I might also be the only one who has bad feeling and think will lose vs Ducks tonight.)

Carolina-Columbus-Winnipeg in last week of March...then finish with Tampa-Washington-Leafs the week after. All we can hope is that some of those teams are resting and coasting towards playoffs.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Is odd though, that i am the only reply-er to pick Habs to miss...me thinks some need to take off rose-coloured hab-glasses and be more objective. But, hate to be negative and do hope i am out to lunch.

(I might also be the only one who has bad feeling and think will lose vs Ducks tonight.)

Carolina-Columbus-Winnipeg in last week of March...then finish with Tampa-Washington-Leafs the week after. All we can hope is that some of those teams are resting and coasting towards playoffs.

For sure it could be us collapsing in the next few weeks. I hope not, but the opportunities for a collapse are certainly plentiful.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

For sure it could be us collapsing in the next few weeks. I hope not, but the opportunities for a collapse are certainly plentiful.

I also thought they would finish the season about 20th place or worse, so WTH do I know!

:gohabsgo:

As shouldn't be a surprise, a 19 game point streak by Boston came to an end this evening against one of the teams we're competing with for a playoff spot, Pittsburgh. 

Current standings are are as follows 

1 Pittsburgh 83 PTS 69 GP 36 ROW

2 Carolina 81 PTS 68 GP 36 ROW

3 Columbus 79 PTS 68 GP 37 ROW

4 Montreal 79 PTS 69 GP 34 ROW

Predictions in this thread as to which team will miss the playoffs are as follows

Pittsburgh 0

Carolina 2

Columbus 5

Montreal 1

(1 additional post picked either Columbus or Carolina and is not included above)

((Another additional post picked Islanders as a maybe))

Current playoff clinching percentage is as follows

1) Pittsburgh 96.7%

2) Carolina 88.1%

3) Columbus 67.5%

4) Montreal 42.6%

While most didn't want any moves at the deadline, it is easy to be slightly critical at this juncture when players like Nick Bjugstad and Nino Neidereitter are scoring important goals for their squad, and Columbus made more of a splash than any other team. Patience will remain my virtue, however, as I still expect the Habs to make the playoffs. Carolina must miss.

14 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Still a long shot 5 points back, but the Flyers are kind of back in the mix as well as they're 6-3-1  in their last 10.

Only 3 points back now.  Not so far out of it.  

Habs need to help themselves. 

Stop giving up 5-8 goals a night and maybe score more than 2. 

The habs will have know one to blame but themselves if they choke and miss the playoffs. 

Columbus has the ROW tiebreaker in their favor, so that kinda sucks. Of their 12 remaining games 8 of them are on the road, so that won't be easy for them

Habs have some key games against teams they are chasing (NYIx2, CAR, CBJ,) but it will take better efforts than what they showed against Pittsburgh last week.

I'm not optimistic tbh, but the path is there for a Columbus collapse and the Habs to get their playoff destiny back in their own hands this week...

Let's see if they have the gumption. 

6 hours ago, DON said:

That sucks...especially given that the cracks in the Habs' team appear to be showing, at the worst possible time. Basically, as the intensity has amped up, the Canadiens' weaknesses have grown more and more exposed. :huh:

As i say, when the going gets tough, 

the habs put there tail between there legs and sit in the corner. 

Byron, Shaw, Gallgher, Weber and Price are the only honest efforts you get every night. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

As i say, when the going gets tough, 

the habs put there tail between there legs and sit in the corner. 

Byron, Shaw, Gallgher, Weber and Price are the only honest efforts you get every night. 

It's not about will and character.

It's about the players not being good enough.

3 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Blues beat the Penguins and Isles lose to Wings.. good start so far today.. need a big win!

Pretty sure not a hope of catching either of those teams, but surely would love to see a 11 game win streak to finish year.

Standings as they were on 05/03/19 

1 Carolina 65 GP 78 PTS 35 ROW

2 Pittsburgh 65 GP 77 PTS 33 ROW

3 Montreal 66 GP 77 PTS 33 ROW

4 Columbus 64 GP 75 PTS 36 ROW

Current update as of 17/03/19

1 Pittsburgh 72 GP 87 PTS 38 ROW

2 Carolina 71 GP 85 PTS 38 ROW

3 Columbus 72 GP 84 PTS 39 ROW

4 Montreal 72 GP 81 PTS 35 ROW

Points since original post

1 Pittsburgh 7 GP 10 PTS 5 ROW

2 Columbus 8 GP 9 PTS 3 ROW

3 Carolina 6 GP 7 PTS 3 ROW

4 Montreal 6 GP 4 PTS 2 ROW

Current odds of making playoffs (+\minus 2-3%)

Pittsburgh - 98.9%

Carolina - 95.0%

Columbus - 84.3%

Montreal - 18.8%

Original prediction poll as to who will miss plyoffs

Carolina 2

Pittsburgh 0

Columbus 5

Montreal 1

Don saw the writing on the wall before all of us.

18.8% of making the playoffs now, if they do make it they will probably limp into them beaten up and dead tired and have the powerhouse that is Tampa this year waiting for them.

I have a new question for everyone.

Do people still want Montreal to make the playoffs and play Tampa or forget about it and try to potentially win the lottery or worse case try for a better draft pick?

I choose draft pick at this point but I wouldn’t be upset at making the playoffs because I’d love to watch more hockey that I have a personal stake in.

18 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Do people still want Montreal to make the playoffs and play Tampa or forget about it and try to potentially win the lottery or worse case try for a better draft pick?

I choose draft pick at this point but I wouldn’t be upset at making the playoffs because I’d love to watch more hockey that I have a personal stake in.

The team I have watched over the past 6 games does not deserve to be on the same sheet of ice as Tampa Bay...I have no desire to watch them limp in and be swept.  Might as well lose the majority of the remaining games, and hopefully use that draft pick to get someone who might bury pucks someday.