4 Teams - 1 Playoff Race

xXx..CK..xXx

Boys are gonna get 7 out of 8 points. So I can win the prediction contest. Washington Tampa and Toronto will be resting star players. Habs will get first wildcard and ride cp31 through to the 2nd round where they will be swept in 4.

Edit. Actually, because they move to the metro bracket, Their next opponent will nyi, who beat pittsburgh. Their luck runs out and habs fluke into the ecf where tampa crushes them in 4. 

48 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Boys are gonna get 7 out of 8 points. So I can win the prediction contest. Washington Tampa and Toronto will be resting star players. Habs will get first wildcard and ride cp31 through to the 2nd round where they will be swept in 4.

Edit. Actually, because they move to the metro bracket, Their next opponent will nyi, who beat pittsburgh. Their luck runs out and habs fluke into the ecf where tampa crushes them in 4. 

:lol:

I remember going to Game 3 of Round 1 in 1993 in the Forum against the Nordiques. The Habs were down in the series 0-2 but won in the game in OT on a Kirk Muller goal. Driving home, I heard a caller on the radio saying "I got a good feeling. It's gonna be just like 1993. Our rookies are gonna step up. Roy is gonna take us all the way." I looked at my friend and we just laughed, figuring the Habs had little chance in the series, let along for four rounds, but happy we'd won that night.

Turns out that guy was some kind of hockey Nostradamus. He called it *exactly!*

So who knows, maybe you're the 2019 version of that guy ^_^

• Upvote 1

It would be nice to squeak in, but I'm mentally preparing myself to miss and am more or less ok with that after seeing them fail in games against good teams lately.  The prize for squeaking in is Tbay, and we don't have the talent to hang with Tbay.  I used to be hopeful that we'd get 7th place and maybe have a shot at upsetting the Caps...but after watching both the Habs and the Caps lately, I really don't think this team has that sort of an upset in them.  So, no matter what teh outcome, I'm at peace now.  The last 2 losses have taken the nerves right out of the equasion; whatever happens...happens.

Slightly annoying that out West we would have clinched already.  

19 hours ago, sbhatt said:

It would be nice to squeak in, but I'm mentally preparing myself to miss and am more or less ok with that after seeing them fail in games against good teams lately.  The prize for squeaking in is Tbay, and we don't have the talent to hang with Tbay.  I used to be hopeful that we'd get 7th place and maybe have a shot at upsetting the Caps...but after watching both the Habs and the Caps lately, I really don't think this team has that sort of an upset in them.  So, no matter what teh outcome, I'm at peace now.  The last 2 losses have taken the nerves right out of the equasion; whatever happens...happens.

I am not ready to be so serenely Zen about the situation yet. But, should they lose tonight I will move on: after a suitable mourning period of alternating teeth- clenching rage and dark despair. 

• Upvote 1

Funny how few Habs fans seem to be recognizing that if we miss the dance, it will be three out of the last four seasons that we do. And in that fourth season we were eliminated in the first round by a team that ended up going nowhere.

Permanent mediocrity, thy name is Montreal Canadiens.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I haven’t forgotten. I remember when it was blasphemy if a 1st round series for the Habs started on the road. Regardless, the team is at a point this year that, hey, might as well get in at this point. I believe most Habs fans expected to miss this year, prior to the start of the season, me included. And yes, it does stink when battling for the last wild card spot is exceeding expectations.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, huzer said:

Oh, I haven’t forgotten. I remember when it was blasphemy if a 1st round series for the Habs started on the road. Regardless, the team is at a point this year that, hey, might as well get in at this point. I believe most Habs fans expected to miss this year, prior to the start of the season, me included. And yes, it does stink when battling for the last wild card spot is exceeding expectations.

I'd feel better if I truly believed that we have a wave of truly elite, high-end young talent coming up such that we project to become heavy-duty contenders. With the qualifier that I am no expert in prospects, I don't see it. Yes, we have good young players on the team and in the system. So do lots of other organizations. The team coming up will probably be yet another good team capable of making the playoffs reliably and winning a round or two. So can lots of other organizations. The only truly elite talents in our system seem to be a 31-year-old goalie and a 33-year old defenceman. God love those two, but it's hard to get excited about that, especially when we've already wasted their prime years on futility.

• Upvote 1

Carolina won their match today against the Flyers and so they sit 3 points ahead of the Habs as well as Columbus prior to their respective match-ups this evening.  

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only truly elite talents in our system seem to be a 31-year-old goalie and a 33-year old defenceman. God love those two, but it's hard to get excited about that, especially when we've already wasted their prime years on futility.

At 30+ years you know whether or not a player is at the elite level or not. At the moment we have a number of young players in our system with elite potential, but it will take a few years (or more) tosee whether or not they can reach that level.

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Big day tomorrow as Carolina and Columbus' game in hand disappears, and we send our fandom to Pittsburgh and Buffalo to help us out. 

I am rooting more for Pittsburg than Sabres. 

I think the Jackes have found their rhythm and will hard to catch

Prior to tonight's games, Columbus and Carolina are both hovering around 87% to make it into the dance.  Let's hope those odds somehow get worse after tonight.  Habs chances sit roughly at 25%.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Permanent is a long time, I don’t think we’re quite there yet! ;)

Well, with maybe two or three seasons excepted - and that’s being generous - it’s been a quarter century and counting, with no end in sight. So if we’re not there yet we’re well on our way.

Penguins are bae, Buffalo sucks. 

Now one point back of Carolina, and effectively 3 points back of Columbus (assuming Buffalo doesn't score 5 goals in the 3rd period.)

3 games to go...

Like that we get the Bolts after 2 days off and the bolts are on 2nd of back to back. 

We have a shot at the canes with them against the Leafs next. 

I want to wake up Wednesday morning in playoff position again!!

17 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

We have a shot at the canes with them against the Leafs next.

The Leafs are in the back half of a back-to-back for that one.  That means Garret Sparks starts.  Unfortunately, that means Carolina can basically call it guaranteed win night.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Leafs are in the back half of a back-to-back for that one.  That means Garret Sparks starts.  Unfortunately, that means Carolina can basically call it guaranteed win night.

I hope the Leafs take that one

That said if the Leafs go 0-3 and we go 2-0 this week... then Saturday night becomes for third place and that spot. 

So tomorrow we should be cheering for the Isles to win in regulation.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:30 AM, huzer said:

Thinking through the weekend, I think the Habs have a strong game tomorrow and win. 92pts come Monday. We know the Habs will need help.

Both Carolina and Columbus have back to back games. I don’t think either team sweeps. Both of the Canes games are afternoon games...Philly and Pitt always seems to play afternoon games, so I could see the Canes being swept, then losing to Toronto on Tuesday. Anyway, they come out of the weekend with 91pts

Columbus has two road games for their b2b. Hard fought loss to Nashville, followed by a beat down of Buffalo (also playing back to back games) the following day. They escape the weekend with 92pts. 

Start the week with the Habs in a playoff spot and see how the week plays out!

Well, I got the Habs win correct. I predicted a split for Columbus (boo), and a sweep of Carolina. I went 50/50 for both of those.

On 2019-03-30 at 7:32 AM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Slightly annoying that out West we would have clinched already.  

Why, the West was the opposite for years.

Still cant see the Habs start beating top contenders just in the last week of season, after losing almost every game to them during season.

Habs might as well get the golf clubs shined up for sunday morning tee time.:(