4 Teams - 1 Playoff Race

xXx..CK..xXx

Had Washington won tonight they could have pretty well locked up 1st in their division and have been more interested in resting some players against the Habs, but unfortunately it looks like we'll be getting a team that gives a shit on Thursday.

7 hours ago, DON said:

Why, the West was the opposite for years.

Because I'd like the Habs to make the playoffs. 

Columbus ~95%

Carolina ~78%

Habs ~28%

17 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Had Washington won tonight they could have pretty well locked up 1st in their division and have been more interested in resting some players against the Habs, but unfortunately it looks like we'll be getting a team that gives a shit on Thursday.

I noticed this as well.  I was happy to see Toronto beat the islanders. A washington win would have meant 3 top teams resting players.

Habs                 92pts

hurricanes.       93pts 

habs                 2 1 0     96pts

hurricanes       1 2 0     95pts  

OR

habs                2 0 1      97pts

hurricanes      1 1 1      96pts 

Were still in it , but a huge task infront. 

Go Habs !!

20 hours ago, Trizzak said:

We are likely screwed.  I thought we had close to a 50/50 shot at making it if everything had gone well and all 3 of our remaining opponents were coasting into the playoffs resting players.  With all 3 possibly icing their usual lineups, the odds of winning all of our games are miniscule.

7 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Habs                 92pts

hurricanes.       93pts 

habs                 2 1 0     96pts

hurricanes       1 2 0     95pts  

OR

habs                2 0 1      97pts

hurricanes      1 1 1      96pts 

Were still in it , but a huge task infront. 

Go Habs !!

Habs                 3 0 0               98 PTS

Hurricanes        2 1 0               97 PTS 

Yeah, i thought the laughs would help, but they were horrible against the canes. Both blue jackets and canes have pretty easy last two games. There are so many games that got away that's coming back to haunt. 

2 games left in the season and we find ourselves with the same 4 teams fighting for that final playoff spot.

Pittsburgh 97 PTS 41 ROW

Carolina 95 PTS 42 ROW

Columbus 94 PTS 44 ROW

Montreal 94 PTS 41 ROW

The Habs are 6-1-1 in their last 8 games and obviously our losses had to come at the hands of Carolina and Columbus respectively. 

Playoff odds vary...

Pittsburgh 99.2%

Carolina 88.2%

Columbus 76%

Montreal 36.6%

OR

Piitsburgh 98.9%

Carolina 86.4%

Columbus 72.3%

Montreal 42.4%

Points since the beginning of the thread (March 3rd)...

Pittsburgh 20 PTS 8 ROW (15 GP)

Columbus 19 PTS 8 ROW (16 GP)

Montreal 17 PTS 8 ROW (14 GP)

Carolina 17 PTS 7 ROW (15 GP)

Official predictions made in this thread as to who will miss the playoffs...

Pittsburgh 0

Carolina 2

Columbus 5

Montreal 1

*There were a couple of other selections such as someone predicting "either Columbus or Carolina" as well as a couple (2) changed picks to NYI or suggestions that they might miss which were not included.

**Later selections (once many games had been played) may have also been omitted. 

16 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Playoff odds vary...

Pittsburgh 99.2%

Carolina 88.2%

Columbus 76%

Montreal 36.6%

OR

Piitsburgh 98.9%

Carolina 86.4%

Columbus 72.3%

Montreal 42.4%

Either one of these is better than the 28% at this time yesterday. If the boys can play against Washington the way they did against TB, anything is possible.

I know we’d need a Jackets loss to get in - but what about a Canes tie? I was thinking if we win our 2 in regulation, and the Canes get 3 of 4 points, that we get in. Am I correct?

23 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I know we’d need a Jackets loss to get in - but what about a Canes tie? I was thinking if we win our 2 in regulation, and the Canes get 3 of 4 points, that we get in. Am I correct?

We lose the tiebreaker to both the Canes and Jackets, need to beat them on points.

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

1 hour ago, Neech said:

We lose the tiebreaker to both the Canes and Jackets, need to beat them on points.

This is something I haven't seen discussed but I think revvvrob is correct.

If Carolina goes 1-0-1 they end with 98 points and 43 ROW

If Montreal goes 2-0-0 they end with 98 points and if both games are won in regulation or overtime, they end with 43 ROW as well

As both teams will have played the same amount of games, this tiebreaker is moot.

The next tiebreaker is points achieved against the opponent. Carolina and Montreal played 3 times this year. When teams play each other an odd amount of times in a year, the first home game of the team who has 2 home games is voided. In this case, this was a 2-1 home loss for Montreal. 

The next two games included a 6-4 win, and a 2-1 overtime loss. As a result, the Habs accumulated 3 points out of 4, whereas Carolina obtained 2 points. I'm not sure this is how the system was intended to work since Carolina actually got more points against us this year, including a win on the road in the game that becomes disregarded.

M̶o̶n̶t̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶1̶ ̶-̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶o̶l̶i̶n̶a̶ ̶2̶

Montreal 6 - Carolina 4

Carolina 2 - Montreal 1 (OT)

In this scenario, the Habs have the tiebreak. The only way Carolina takes the tiebreak if both teams end up with 98 points, is if the Habs win one of their games in a shootout.

Carolina 98 PTS 43 ROW - Montreal 98 PTS 43 ROW = Montreal makes playoffs 

Carolina 98 PTS 43 ROW - Montreal 98 PTS 42/41 ROW = Carolina makes playoffs 

CK is absolutely right with regards to a tie breaker with Carolina!

No matter what happens this week, I will have to say that this has been an exciting season. The Habs played above their heads almost all season!

• Upvote 1

and then there is Pittsburgh.  Surprised no one is talking about it, even if it is the least likely route.  If the Habs win both games, it doesn't matter how, and the Pens lose both games in regulation - the Habs are in.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It ain't over 'til it's over.

But only a fool would be optimistic about our chances.

Is it probable? No.

But is it achievable? Yes (with a little help from our friends).

Will it happen? Check back here late on Saturday night.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But only a fool would be optimistic about our chances.

Depends on your definition of optimistic I guess. But I don't think a 1 in 2.5 chance of making the playoffs makes someone a fool for thinking it can happen. Imagine me saying Mr. Cucumber, you have a 40% chance of winning the lotto 6/49 jackpot for 50 million, would you be a fool if you got excited?