Thread competition winner: DON

Prize: Banned

• Like 2

Well boys for what its worth things looking up for the habs

Tatar was a steal 

Domi was a steal 

Kotkaniemi looks like a gem 

Price back to his old self 

A lot of positive things happen this year. Makes next year worth looking forward too.

Just got to figure out what to do with one Mr Drouin.

18 minutes ago, huzer said:

Had Bergevin gutted the draft like CBJ did and just squeaked in, man, he’d be more reviled than he already is.

I'm glad he didn't as well...just sort of figure that Columbus deserved to get in at least for the heavy price of admission that they paid. 

20 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Can't complain: Columbus paid the price and loaded up at the deadline to tip the scales in their favor, and it panned out for them.

They made it into the playoffs, with the final wildcard spot. It's not much so far given what Kekalainen paid at the deadline.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Well boys for what its worth things looking up for the habs

Tatar was a steal 

Domi was a steal 

Kotkaniemi looks like a gem 

Price back to his old self 

A lot of positive things happen this year. Makes next year worth looking forward too.

Just got to figure out what to do with one Mr Drouin.

5.5 million for 52 points, what is to figure out?

Nothing wrong with that, other than the expectations around him being too high. 

For 2nd line pay he gave 2nd line production.

Yes, we can say we lost the trade... but we can't go back in time and change that, we just have to figure out what is best to do with Drouin going forward, and the fact is that he is not a liability.

The things Habs need to figure out are 

- spend the unused cap space on a top-pair, puck moving LHD (Jake Gardiner would be my choice, but not sure he would come here as I think he is pissed by toronto media coverage and wants a little less pressure).

- fix the power play.

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

5.5 million for 52 points, what is to figure out?

Nothing wrong with that, other than the expectations around him being too high. 

For 2nd line pay he gave 2nd line production.

Yes, we can say we lost the trade... but we can't go back in time and change that, we just have to figure out what is best to do with Drouin going forward, and the fact is that he is not a liability.

The things Habs need to figure out are 

- spend the unused cap space on a top-pair, puck moving LHD (Jake Gardiner would be my choice, but not sure he would come here as I think he is pissed by toronto media coverage and wants a little less pressure).

- fix the power play.

So I guess your ok with Drouin not showing up for games and not looking interested out on the ice. Why because his French and a home town boy? So he gets a pass? Not from me he doesn't, he reminds me of yakupov out there on the ice. 

9 hours ago, Metallica said:

So I guess your ok with Drouin not showing up for games and not looking interested out on the ice. Why because his French and a home town boy? So he gets a pass? Not from me he doesn't, he reminds me of yakupov out there on the ice. 

I dont get into subjective things such as if a player "looks interested" or not.  I look at what the production is and what should be expected for the cap hit.  At the end of the day, it is about production, not the look on the player's face or what language he speaks.  For all the complaints... he is one point behind his career high and his advanced stats show he produces more than he gives up.  All of that is fine for a second liner 

• Upvote 2

Where I have a problem with Drouin is that he was a complete no show for games 55 through 75.  True he didn't put up many points during the final 5 games of the season as well, but at least he gave the effort necessary (skating hard, hustling to get back in the d zone).

As mentioned by François Gagnon on RDC.ca, Drouin had no points in 49 of 81 games....and no points in 23 of the last 25 games. That is what I find disappointing about him. There were too many nights where JD was a passenger.

Last point, I don't think Drouin is a THE guy we should be counting on to lead the Habs. Just like Kessel is not THE guy in Pittsburgh! Kessel might not be THE guy, but he's still a very good player. I think the same applies with Drouin. If we could find THE guy who could lead the offense, I think Drouin would be a good follower!  I might be wrong, but that's the way I feel about him!

Drouin-Domi-Shaw was a great line, then Shaw got hurt. I’m not willing to throw Drouin under the bus at this time. Played C last year, back on wing this year. Sure, I hope he’s more consistent next year, but he’s still a young player. Is he the straw that stirs the drink? No. But he should be a very good complimentary player.

It's not over yet. Still holding out hope that we can find a loop hole and get the Habs in the playoffs. 

We have to find some evidence that would cause Columbus to have to forfeit some of their wins. Maybe they used an illegal player, deflated the pucks, or altered the ice conditions in their favour? Its gonna take lots of research in very little time. If all else fails and we cant find the evidence perhaps we can make our own evidence. Hopefully someone here has some IT knowledge that would be able to create a non-existent paper-trail showing Columbus has paid off some referees throughout the season. 

Or if we want to go after Carolina there may be an option. If someone can get in the ear of the Hurricanes owner Thomas Dundon, maybe we can convince him to fold the Hurricanes franchise mid-season. I mean he does have a history as earlier this week he folded his football league the AAF before the season was even over. 

**Caution** some the of ideas mentioned above are probably illegal. Once the plan is executed we will be relying on this post and any others to be deleted to avoid prosecution. 

The Habs will be 2019 Stanley Cup Champions!

56 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Where I have a problem with Drouin is that he was a complete no show for games 55 through 75.  True he didn't put up many points during the final 5 games of the season as well, but at least he gave the effort necessary (skating hard, hustling to get back in the d zone).

As mentioned by François Gagnon on RDC.ca, Drouin had no points in 49 of 81 games....and no points in 23 of the last 25 games. That is what I find disappointing about him. There were too many nights where JD was a passenger.

Last point, I don't think Drouin is a THE guy we should be counting on to lead the Habs. Just like Kessel is not THE guy in Pittsburgh! Kessel might not be THE guy, but he's still a very good player. I think the same applies with Drouin. If we could find THE guy who could lead the offense, I think Drouin would be a good follower!  I might be wrong, but that's the way I feel about him!

This is fair, except that Drouin is a signicantly weaker player than Kessel. Kessel was demonized for all the wrong reasons (he's not a workout beast; he doesn't like being interviewed; isn't a 'leader;' etc.). He's one of those guys who does nothing but produce and refuses to pay the NHL's Be A Robot game, and got trashed for it. Drouin, on the other hand, is closer to the Galy/Kostitsyn end of the spectrum: great tools, no toolbox, and all too often - unlike Kessel - does not produce.

The one issue I have with the argument that 'Drouin is fine as a secondary player' is that he too often lapses into selfish or stupid plays that actually hurt the team. It's quite possible he'll grow out of this. But I honestly think that even if he does manage to paper over those holes in his game, he will tend to fall back into them when the pressure is highest, i.e., at critical times; because that's human nature, in extremis our essence is exposed. And JD's essence is that he can't read the play and just tries to stickhandle past five guys (thereby losing the puck and ruining the rush); he's essentially a pond-hockey player.

So, OK, pencil him in as a #5-6 FW and hope he doesn't commit huge blunders in huge games. Not too inspiring, but that's what happens when you make a bad trade for PR reasons. It's too bad, because if he had been internally developed instead of being acquired at high cost, it'd be easier to just ship him out  a la Galy.

• Upvote 1