Game #67: Habs in LA 10:30 EST

DON

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Lots of ot wins and so wins.

And probably no HOF teammates, unlike Plante. Hard choice...Domi or Beliveau?

No, I'm not saying Price is better than Plante. You can't compare eras.

I watched the first two periods last night, and my feeling was that our boys were lucky to get out of La La Land with two points. For long stretches of time, our boys couldn't even get the puck past the red line and alot of the passes were off. I suppose a part of that is attributable to the lousy quality of the ice!

I don't know why most people keep saying that the Kings are big and SLOW. Watching them skate last night, I did not have the feeling that they are a slow team! They might have a few players who are clearly over the hill (cough, cough Phaneuf) but overall, I thought they were a pretty fast skating team.

Lucky for us that Carey made that huge save at the end of the second period, or else it could have been a very different result. Hopefully, our boys will give a better effort against the Sharks and the Ducks!

5 hours ago, Chris said:

If Price is sick, sit him against SJ, rest and the Anaheim win is more important. 

Even when healthy and not back to back Habs have a slim chance against SJ.

Agreed. I'm almost sure Niemi gets the start in S-J and Carey will be back in Nets against the Ducks. I think it's the right thing to do. Even with Price in nets, our chances of beating the Sharks (In San-Jose) are slim to none. We haven't won a game there since 1999!!! 

39 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I watched the first two periods last night, and my feeling was that our boys were lucky to get out of La La Land with two points. For long stretches of time, our boys couldn't even get the puck past the red line and alot of the passes were off. I suppose a part of that is attributable to the lousy quality of the ice!

I don't know why most people keep saying that the Kings are big and SLOW. Watching them skate last night, I did not have the feeling that they are a slow team! They might have a few players who are clearly over the hill (cough, cough Phaneuf) but overall, I thought they were a pretty fast skating team.

Lucky for us that Carey made that huge save at the end of the second period, or else it could have been a very different result. Hopefully, our boys will give a better effort against the Sharks and the Ducks!

I watched the whole game, and I disagree.

I thought LA brought very little to the table last night. 

Price made a couple of nice saves, but overall LA had very few chances and Montreal controlled the play for the most part

I thought the defensive effort was very good

46 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Agreed. I'm almost sure Niemi gets the start in S-J and Carey will be back in Nets against the Ducks. I think it's the right thing to do. Even with Price in nets, our chances of beating the Sharks (In San-Jose) are slim to none. We haven't won a game there since 1999!!! 

And there is an outside chance that Niemi will bring his "A" game to San Jose, playing against his former team. In any case, it's much better to risk this one and have Price in net for the Anaheim game.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Price made a couple of nice saves, but overall LA had very few chances and Montreal controlled the play for the most part

I agree. Zone breakouts were good.  Zone entries were good.  Lots of speed and pressure in the offensive zone. Lots of won puck battles and high quality scoring chances.  Domi looked great. Tatar looked good. Shaw had some good looks. Weal was strong in his debut. Mete was steady again.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I have to agree with you. I watched the entire game and there was never any doubt about the outcome for this one.

Kings are horrible and played like that.

I hope Price plays vs Sharks and Niemi vs Ducks, best chance for a Cali sweep! (which would be 4 more points than i expected) 

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Kings are horrible and played like that.

I hope Price plays vs Sharks and Niemi vs Ducks, best chance for a Cali sweep! (which would be 4 more points than i expected) 

That's the question -- do you hope for a sweep (Price vs San Jose, Niemi vs Anaheim) or try to play it safe to ensure at least one win (Niemi vs San Jose, Price vs Anaheim)?

The lines at practice today:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Weal - Armia
Lehkonen - Thompson - Weise

Death, taxes, and Claude Julien refusing to make changes to a winning lineup no matter what.

Has Kotkaniemi looked that bad that he needs a multi-game benching?  

I cant watch the games so I rely on you guys for this type of insight. 

10 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

7 points in last 12 games. 

Just keep in mind that our most recent #3 overall pick with 32 points in 66 games is sitting in favour of Dale Weise. 

54 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Don't think is a "benching" is simply has been a long and busy year for him and wont hurt him at all.

Weise and he play different positions and roles, so that is irrelevant. Resting the kid and giving Weal an opportunity to play is big part of it....I think? 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Death, taxes, and Claude Julien refusing to make changes to a winning lineup no matter what.

You forgot Tony Gwynn.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Don't think is a "benching" is simply has been a long and busy year for him and wont hurt him at all.

Weise and he play different positions and roles, so that is irrelevant. Resting the kid and giving Weal an opportunity to play is big part of it....I think? 

Thats true Don, Kotkaniemi has played more hockey than any other player of the Habs roster, as a 18 year old. I think the team honestly wants to give him a bit of a break and what better place than in the sunny beaches of California, it could be a vacation mentality here.

I’m sure they want to see what they have in Weal if he has potential to be more than a 4th liner, so these things kind of makes sense.

One thing is for sure he will slot back in soon, he’s too important to this organization not too, long and short term.