Game #Nice: Habs vs Ducks 10:00 March 8 2019

Trizzak

Before the last two games, I held onto this glimmer of hope deep down that this team was a little bit of powerplay luck away from being pretty good.  I let myself believe that there would be a strong finish, a clinching of 7th place, and even let myself dream that a red-hot Carey Price might steal a series against the #1 seed in the Met division if it ended up being the Isles.  That glimmer is gone now...I refuse to engage in irrational optimism any longer.  Odds are that this season ends in 9th place, or 8th place and a sweep at the hands of the Lightning. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good thing Sergachev seems to have hit the sophomore wall this year - otherwise that trade would be causing us searing intestinal pain daily. Drouin has actually made strides this season but I continue to wonder about his hockey IQ and worry about his constant tendency to regress back into a futile, hot-dogging individual game. The Galchenyuk parallel may prove all too apt in the end. To think we had both of those guys slotted in as key cogs at FW last season...no wonder the team sucked royal balls.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a good thing Sergachev seems to have hit the sophomore wall this year - otherwise that trade would be causing us searing intestinal pain daily. Drouin has actually made strides this season but I continue to wonder about his hockey IQ and worry about his constant tendency to regress back into a futile, hot-dogging individual game. The Galchenyuk parallel may prove all too apt in the end. To think we had both of those guys slotted in as key cogs at FW last season...no wonder the team sucked royal balls.

If he wasnt a 55-60pt winger, the trade would look worse, but Habs offense has improved...at expense of hole losing Sergachev meant. Kinda pick your poison which is more important. But, you can hear every HabFan every game groan at too many failed cute little back passes, or very low to stupid chance of success turnovers at opposing blue line.:angry:

12 hours ago, DON said:

If he wasnt a 55-60pt winger, the trade would look worse, but Habs offense has improved...at expense of hole losing Sergachev meant. Kinda pick your poison which is more important. But, you can hear every HabFan every game groan at too many failed cute little back passes, or very low to stupid chance of success turnovers at opposing blue line.:angry:

Well, it's pretty hard to deny that a top-4 D-man is much more valuable than a top-6 W. To me, winning that trade requires Drouin to be a semi-star. I don't think it's panning out.

Drouin 16th in LW scoring

Sergachev 60th in d-scoring, 17minutes/gm.

Still not arguing Sergachev wont keep improving and be an all-star at some point, just not yet.

And "fingers crossed" Drouin's play will also mature some.:pray:

2 hours ago, DON said:

Drouin 16th in LW scoring

Sergachev 60th in d-scoring, 17minutes/gm.

Still not arguing Sergachev wont keep improving and be an all-star at some point, just not yet.

And "fingers crossed" Drouin's play will also mature some.:pray:

Too soon to say with certainty, yes. I'm something of a Drouin skeptic and would, if you asked me, rather have Sergachev.  It's easy to find decent W - and much less frustrating ones than him, in fact, even if his individual skills are impressive. Harder to find quality top-4 d-men, or even top-pairing d-men, which I don't believe is beyond Sergy's ceiling.

Given the strengths and deficits of this team and in the system, Sergachev would be more valuable to us going forward.  Our top D prospects are a long way from being sure NHLers, while we have a lot of wingers on the squad.

I still think that Drouin has a higher ceiling than what he's shown, and that given the right situation he could put together a 80+ point season like Kovy in 07-08.  Maybe he needs to take a pensive stroll through the old port with Bergevin to see the light.

he needs 10 in 13 games just to be a 60 point player

Drouin doesnt play smart enough or hard enough to reach 80 points, let alone 60. 

He needs to grow up and work on being a pro,