Game#71 Thurs: March 14 2019 Habs vs Islanders 7:00

DON

18 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Kovalev was MILES better than Drouin.  Far less boneheaded mistakes, and had the ability to clean up his own messes far more often than Drouin.  I've had it with Drouin...you can't fix stupid, and the guy is just flat-out stupid.

I believe you're thinking of the wrong #27.

Agree that Drouin is about half the player Kovalev was. It's not even close. And this is not to romanticize Kovalev, who was obviously an imperfect player.

The good news with Drouin is that he did make progress; this has been his best season. The bad news is that he is a 4th-year player (albeit still young, turning 24) who has really not shown a very steep arc of development since his rookie year. He's basically been static with marginal improvement. And he is collapsing down the stretch when the Habs need him most. This really does not say much for his cajones.

I said almost from the start that if he had been a Habs pick, Bergevin would gave dealt him away for lack of 'character' long ago. A complete double standard.

Is he a Kovalev in waiting - ie., a gifted but fundamentally individual player who will eventually put together some real impact seasons amidst all the drama? Or - and frankly I think this is much more likely - is he Alex Gakchenyuk or Andrei Kostistyn, i.e., a talented guy with all the tools but no toolbox? 

The next two years will tell. I'm fairly confident he's the latter, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Kovalev was MILES better than Drouin.  Far less boneheaded mistakes, and had the ability to clean up his own messes far more often than Drouin.  I've had it with Drouin...you can't fix stupid, and the guy is just flat-out stupid.

No, not that lazy #27, I meant another Russian who wore same number just last year and was traded for Domi.

But, hopefully Drouin is still learning and some tough love and good coaching will help him round his game out, but as he is just about to turn 24, I don't know if will ever happen?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

No, not that lazy #27, I meant another Russian who wore same number just last year and was traded for Domi.

But, hopefully Drouin is still learning and some tough love and good coaching will help him round his game out, but as he is just about to turn 24, I don't know if will ever happen?

Ah, OK...NOW it makes sense.  I was wondering how the hell anyone could compare Drouin to Kovalev.  Thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Lets be honest, this is all Don's fault

Well, i cant disagree on that one; but, 4-6 over the last ten, sorry to say is all on them!

16 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Ah, OK...NOW it makes sense.  I was wondering how the hell anyone could compare Drouin to Kovalev.  Thanks for clarifying.

While 'floating a bit' from time to time and playing over 1,300 games without breaking a sweat, Kovalev was one very skilled NHLer and with over 1,000 points he could never be confused with Drouin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

While 'floating a bit' from time to time and playing over 1,300 games without breaking a sweat, Kovalev was one very skilled NHLer and with over 1,000 points he could never be confused with Drouin.

Funny thing about Kovalev...his final season with us was widely regarded as a disaster (Bob took him for romantic walks, etc.), and yet he still finished the season with 26 goals and 65 points. :o If Drouin were to hit those totals, we'd probably be all excited...and yet that was Kovy being a disappointment. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Kovalev...his final season with us was widely regarded as a disaster (Bob took him for romantic walks, etc.), and yet he still finished the season with 26 goals and 65 points. :o If Drouin were to hit those totals, we'd probably be all excited...and yet that was Kovy being a disappointment. 

But all knew assumed if Kovalev played hard every game, he should be a point/game guy.

Thanks to Andrew Shaw, one of my favorite habs players for calling out his team mates for too many of them taking nights off. 

Not the same as Price throwing them under the bus, but it's a start. 

Unfortunately, I dont think it will help