Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DON

Game#71 Thurs: March 14 2019 Habs vs Islanders 7:00

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

 

 

Kovalev was MILES better than Drouin.  Far less boneheaded mistakes, and had the ability to clean up his own messes far more often than Drouin.  I've had it with Drouin...you can't fix stupid, and the guy is just flat-out stupid.

 

 I believe you're thinking of the wrong #27.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that Drouin is about half the player Kovalev was. It's not even close. And this is not to romanticize Kovalev, who was obviously an imperfect player.

 

The good news with Drouin is that he did make progress; this has been his best season. The bad news is that he is a 4th-year player (albeit still young, turning 24) who has really not shown a very steep arc of development since his rookie year. He's basically been static with marginal improvement. And he is collapsing down the stretch when the Habs need him most. This really does not say much for his cajones.

 

I said almost from the start that if he had been a Habs pick, Bergevin would gave dealt him away for lack of 'character' long ago. A complete double standard.

 

Is he a Kovalev in waiting - ie., a gifted but fundamentally individual player who will eventually put together some real impact seasons amidst all the drama? Or - and frankly I think this is much more likely - is he Alex Gakchenyuk or Andrei Kostistyn, i.e., a talented guy with all the tools but no toolbox? 

 

The next two years will tell. I'm fairly confident he's the latter, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

 

 

Kovalev was MILES better than Drouin.  Far less boneheaded mistakes, and had the ability to clean up his own messes far more often than Drouin.  I've had it with Drouin...you can't fix stupid, and the guy is just flat-out stupid.

No, not that lazy #27, I meant another Russian who wore same number just last year and was traded for Domi.

 

But, hopefully Drouin is still learning and some tough love and good coaching will help him round his game out, but as he is just about to turn 24, I don't know if will ever happen?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets be honest, this is all Don's fault

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Lets be honest, this is all Don's fault

 

Fire DON and replace him with Kirk Muller!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

No, not that lazy #27, I meant another Russian who wore same number just last year and was traded for Domi.

 

But, hopefully Drouin is still learning and some tough love and good coaching will help him round his game out, but as he is just about to turn 24, I don't know if will ever happen?

 

Ah, OK...NOW it makes sense.  I was wondering how the hell anyone could compare Drouin to Kovalev.  Thanks for clarifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Lets be honest, this is all Don's fault

Well, i cant disagree on that one; but, 4-6 over the last ten, sorry to say is all on them!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

 

Ah, OK...NOW it makes sense.  I was wondering how the hell anyone could compare Drouin to Kovalev.  Thanks for clarifying.

While 'floating a bit' from time to time and playing over 1,300 games without breaking a sweat, Kovalev was one very skilled NHLer and with over 1,000 points he could never be confused with Drouin.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

While 'floating a bit' from time to time and playing over 1,300 games without breaking a sweat, Kovalev was one very skilled NHLer and with over 1,000 points he could never be confused with Drouin.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing about Kovalev...his final season with us was widely regarded as a disaster (Bob took him for romantic walks, etc.), and yet he still finished the season with 26 goals and 65 points. :o If Drouin were to hit those totals, we'd probably be all excited...and yet that was Kovy being a disappointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Kovalev...his final season with us was widely regarded as a disaster (Bob took him for romantic walks, etc.), and yet he still finished the season with 26 goals and 65 points. :o If Drouin were to hit those totals, we'd probably be all excited...and yet that was Kovy being a disappointment. 

But all knew assumed if Kovalev played hard every game, he should be a point/game guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Andrew Shaw, one of my favorite habs players for calling out his team mates for too many of them taking nights off. 

 

Not the same as Price throwing them under the bus, but it's a start. 
 

Unfortunately, I dont think it will help

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×