Habs vs Blackhawks

Neech

Weber certainly has not looked good at all.

But he did miss a considerable amount of time away and did not have a proper chance to get ready for the season and I think that’s starting to show. If he is injured we’ll thats definitely a sign for concern but not necessarily a sign of decline.

9 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Weber certainly has not looked good at all.

But he did miss a considerable amount of time away and did not have a proper chance to get ready for the season and I think that’s starting to show. If he is injured we’ll thats definitely a sign for concern but not necessarily a sign of decline.

It's a sign that he is becoming more injury prone - itself a symptom of age and, therefore, decline.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a sign that he is becoming more injury prone - itself a symptom of age and, therefore, decline.

The Weber and Drouin trade are really showing what a genious MB is.  After getting called out they come out and lay a goose egg, i think this team still needs a lot of growing and character. I really feel bad for Price, stuck with a bunch of loosers for his entire career. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Danault hasn't scored in 19 i think i heard the hawks broadcaster say. 

last 10 games, 7 goals scored minus (2 empty netters) 

It took 60 games, but the habs finally are playing like i thought they would 

Have you ever posted something that is positive?  Like not just lately... i get that they are playing shit lately.  But youve been sky is falling from day 1.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It could very well be the lack of conditioning due to a year off.  When he first came back it was a jolt of adrenaline.  Now the adrenaline is gone and his conditioning isnt up to snuff due to missing a full year.  Hes hit a wall.

54 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

The Weber and Drouin trade are really showing what a genious MB is.  After getting called out they come out and lay a goose egg, i think this team still needs a lot of growing and character. I really feel bad for Price, stuck with a bunch of loosers for his entire career. 

I dont think a team taking 48 shots on goal is laying a goose egg.  They fought hard and gave a hell of an effort tonight.  Its hard to question the desire tonight.

They lost cause crawford played great and the effort didnt translate to goals.  But that doesnt mean they laid an egg or gave a shitty effort after the call out was about a lack of effort against the isles.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I get that everyone is down, but the fact is the Habs came to play tonight. They just ran into Crawford playing a phenomenal game.

That said, I agree that putting Galchenyuk - oops, I mean Kostitsyn - oops, I mean Drouin out there at the end was indeed stupid. But that's not why they lost. Crawford is. 

People may jump down my throat, but I think the sub-par play of Weber has been a significant contributor to the Habs' mediocrity lately. They count on him to eat huge minutes error-free. A dip in his performance ramifies for everyone. Personally I believe this stretch marks the first visible indicator of his inevitable decline. He'll bounce back, probably, but what we're seeing is the emergence of a Weber who us either more prone to injury than before, or else who needs his minutes managed. Oh well.

The team played a high energy style overall which allowed them to produce more than their talent level for most of the year.  At this point some members of the team are running out of gas imo.

There just isnt enough talent there yet.  That said suzuki and poehling should add some very soon.

The worst part about Bergevin getting Julien the 4th line that he wanted is that Julien is now overusing those players. 

Kotkaniemi got 2 shifts in the 3rd period while Weal got double shifted and has been on the "power play" the past few games.

Thompson hasn't missed a game since he was acquired, and he's done less offensively in his best games than Peca did in his worst.

Why is Deadstick Lehkonen with 1 goal in 34 games getting promoted to the 2nd line? 

Why is Folin an everyday player right now? 

They needed two goals in the 3rd. Are those players going to score them for you? The Habs saw better results this season with anti-Julien players.

This feels like the Ott-King-Martinsen effect all over again.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

The team played a high energy style overall which allowed them to produce more than their talent level for most of the year.  At this point some members of the team are running out of gas imo.

There just isnt enough talent there yet.  That said suzuki and poehling should add some very soon.

Absolutely--- We don't have enough horses. The smallest and youngest team are running on fumes. This is nothing about attitude, as it wasn't last year. It is about taking the blame away from the real culprit. I hope MB , if he is still around, has sense  to spend that money that he has been hoarding on a top free agent.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Bruins win in OT so its 3 points

4 isnt it, as CBJ has tie breaker dont they.

Need to make up 4 pts in 10gms...possible and maybe Flames will beat them to help.

10 hours ago, Toronthab said:

So.... about that bus.....

Maybe need it in Nov or Dec, see how October goes first.

Backing out of playoffs isnt a huge surprise...but still sucks.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

As was mentioned in this thread kk may have been injured 

I think he was simply benched?

EE:

"Meanwhile, Julien said Byron was moved to the fourth line because he "had some issues" over the last couple of games. The coach’s reasoning for putting Weal out for a team-leading 10 shifts in the third period was because he had a strong showing in the faceoff circle. He explained that Kotkaniemi had lost defensive coverage on a couple of occasions before being parked."

That is something I don’t agree with.

Kotkaniemi needs to play better no question but he obviously has the skill to make it happen out there and when you are down a couple goals grinders like Thompson and Weal are not going to get it done for you.  

22 minutes ago, Chris said:

know one is getting it done

it doesn't matter who CJ throws over the boards 

Not true, Domi/Tatar/Gallagher have been getting it done all year. Montreal’s offence revolves around those 3.

Sometimes Drouin/Shaw/Byron show up but too inconsistent out of those 3.

Crawford really was amazing last night and it was a shame because it should have been Carey’s night but like others have pointed out something super lucky revolves around him playing in Montreal, it’s some weird form of miracle almost. All you can do is laugh at it. 

3 hours ago, Scott462 said:

That is something I don’t agree with.

Kotkaniemi needs to play better no question but he obviously has the skill to make it happen out there and when you are down a couple goals grinders like Thompson and Weal are not going to get it done for you.  

Wasn't it Weal who blew the coverage on Chicago's second goal? So much for his infallible defensive acumen.19 minutes for Weal *is* ridiculous,

That said, I've seen this movie 100 times before. Coach wants X out of young player; young player doesn't provide it; coach bumps him down the lineup; fans howl with outrage. It happens on almost every team and is a normal - perhaps necessary - part of player development.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Considering where we thought they would be at the start of the season, the fact they have been in the race this long shows they are not absolute trash

100% agree 

and that is why I do not understand the hate: fire CJ, MB is the worst ever, Drouin is a waste of a roster player....

The team has not given up, they are playing to their level of talent and not over achieving anymore

Price is back to his level of play at the right time of the season 

And it is obvious that Weber needs a real top-pair LD to play with him

I still hope they will make the playoffs by bumping Carolina. But I will be ok if they don't 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wasn't it Weal who blew the coverage on Chicago's second goal? So much for his infallible defensive acumen.19 minutes for Weal *is* ridiculous,

That said, I've seen this movie 100 times before. Coach wants X out of young player; young player doesn't provide it; coach bumps him down the lineup; fans howl with outrage. It happens on almost every team and is a normal - perhaps necessary - part of player development.

You bring up a good point.

Kotka seems like a really good kid and you would think he is learning from these experiences.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, habscout said:

I somewhat agree; however I saw a few good shifts by Weal tonight.  

You used the wrong word with "deserve".  They outshot Chicago 2 to 1, but the Blackhawks had some key scoring chances, and obviously capitalized.

OK I had two nights sleep and have calmed down - a bit.

What frustrated me the most was depending on the players on the ice Saturday, we saw two VERY different teams.   Yes, Crawford stood on his head but we had two lines that gave it everything they had - and two lines that floated.  That may be simplifying things a little, but guys like Sahwa and Lehkonen gave it everything they had on Saturday - they just couldn't beat Crawford (or the post).  If that pressure and intensity was kept up they would have eventually gotten one, or two...

Problem was they would get the Blackhawks on the ropes, and then Drouin would step on the ice and make a stupid (lazy) play and that was it.  And Drouin wasn't the only one.  But he was the worst.

What was Kulak doing on the PP in the third period?

And the fourth line was one of our strengths early this season - WHEN WE WERE WINNING - then we made changes and now it is a real problem.

And why is Julien disciplining players when we are in a dog fight for a win, for a playoff spot?  Byron on the fourth line?  KK on the bench?  That is BAD COACHING.  Especially in the third period, with the game, and the season on the line.

Finally, how many young players have we watched the Bergevin era destroy?  Galchenyuk anyone?   And now he is trying to do the same thing to KK.  Wow!

Edited by titanfan