Game #78 Habs @ Columbus March 28 2019 7:00

DON

Credit where due. Tortellini did an excellent job of rebooting his team for the second. The CBJ big guns really stepped up and the Habs had no response. In fact, guys who looked great in the 1st, like Folin, suddenly looked like weak links.

It was also "playoff hockey" in the specific sense that a lot of borderline physical play was not being called or regulated by the refs. You could see the Habs being thrown off by that, especially Shaw and Domi (who refocused toward the end).

The season arguably hinges on the third period. In particular I want to see Weber, who has looked a bit slow at moments, and Drouin, who has been better than usual but still not great, step up and do something.

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Credit where due. Tortellini did an excellent job of rebooting his team for the second. The CBJ big guns really stepped up and the Habs had no response. In fact, guys who looked great in the 1st, like Folin, suddenly looked like weak links.

It was also "playoff hockey" in the specific sense that a lot of borderline physical play was not being called or regulated by the refs. You could see the Habs being thrown off by that, especially Shaw and Domi (who refocused toward the end).

The season arguably hinges on the third period. In particular I want to see Weber, who has looked a bit slow at moments, and Drouin, who has been better than usual but still not great, step up and do something.

If we get a powerplay in the 3rd, (or multiple) I want a Weber goal. 

Montreal is 7-20 when trailing after two periods.  I really hope we see effort and results come the third. 

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Montreal is 7-20 when trailing after two periods.  I really hope we see effort and results come the third. 

The team we have seen all season will give it its all. Whether they have the horses is another question.

13 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Columbus sure looks like the better team. Home crowd helps. 

Another thought - I don't like our chances in a shootout. They've got a lot more raw scoring talent than us. I think we need to win this thing in regular time or OT.

There's no substitute for elite players.

I said in the intermission that we needed Drouin and Weber to step up.

Instead, Weber was flailing around tryinghaplessly  to compensate for Mete's pointless, futile rushing attempt on goal 4, and Drouin has been literally invisible this period.

The end.

11 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I've seen a ton of clutch and grab by cbj. Its frustrating

Like I said...it's playoff hockey. Refs call jack.

A good learning experience for the Habs, but they are clearly not ready for this.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

RDS announcers describing the penalty as a "door opening" for the Habs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he meant the EXIT door?

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

RDS announcers describing the penalty as a "door opening" for the Habs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have to stay optimistic if they don't want all the viewers to change the channel! ;)

15 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

With  career years by all of the points leaders on the team, this off season and the po will be very important next year. I expect a regression next year.

Disagree. Guys like Domi are young and will either level off or improve. KoKO has barely scratched the surface. Danault or Tatar may regress slightly, but they're accomplished pros who can be relied upon. Gally is Mr. Reliable. Petry seems to be aging like fine wine. Byron probably has another year or two left of quality production.

I know everyone hates when I talk like this, but I'm worried that Weber is the guy who will slip a bit. Arguably he already has been doing this for the past several weeks. He was average tonight. And of course we have no elite D in the system to pick up the slack if he falters.

This organization does not have the talent it needs and does not project to become a contender IMHO. That, as I see it, is the really deep issue we face. MB will need one or two more off-seasons like this one, where every card he plays comes up trumps, for that to happen. Not holding my breath, but anything is possible.