Ryan Poehling signs 3 year entry deal

DON

Interesting that it's specified he'll be with the Canadiens and not the Rocket.

Signing now burns a year off his entry level contract this season, but he won't be eligible for protection in the Seattle expansion draft unless he plays in 11 games.

14 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Interesting that it's specified he'll be with the Canadiens and not the Rocket.

Signing now burns a year off his entry level contract this season, but he won't be eligible for protection in the Seattle expansion draft unless he plays in 11 games.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Do they try him in one of the upcoming games?  That'd be quite the time to make an NHL debut.

Developmentally, it's not a bad idea. Give him a taste of NHL pace, expectations, etc. - which would then inform his summer training and preparation.

How it helps or hurts the team on the ice is another question.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Do they try him in one of the upcoming games?  That'd be quite the time to make an NHL debut.

I think him over Deslauriers or Peca most would be pretty OK with.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think if each game is critical for a playoff spot they wont put him in.  But if we lose ground and get eliminated he plays against washington or toronto.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think if each game is critical for a playoff spot they wont put him in.  But if we lose ground and get eliminated he plays against washington or toronto.

I agree. They won't risk putting him in if we still have a shot at a playoff position.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

What's the best case scenario for Poehling, a poor man's Ryan O'Reilly?  I'm hoping he can outproduce Lekhonen while bringing the same level of defensive play.

Geez, I'm no prospect expert, but if he can't end up outproducing 30-point, cement-handed Lehkonen, then I'll rate that as a disappointment. From what I've read, a point total in the 40s seems a reasonable expectation of his "ceiling" in the NHL, with gusts into the 50s for the optimistic. So my guess would be that he'd project as a poor man's Pleks. But again, I'm no expert. That said, for next season specifically, I expect little other than coachability and unusually capable responsible defensive play for a rookie.

Depends who he plays with, he is a passer first, O'Reilly isn't a bad comparison but you never know. 

There are people who think Drouin is a 70 point player even though he has't scored 60 points in a season with the habs. 

Based on statistical conversion between the Finnish league and the NHL, Jesperi Kotkaniemi would have been projected to score roughly 22 points had he played in the NHL last year. This year,  he has scored 34 points with 3 games remaining. 

Based on similar conversion between the NCAA and the NHL,  Ryan Poehling would have been capable of scoring roughly 29 points this year in the NHL.  

While they are different players, and have taken different routes, I think 30-40 points should be the reasonable expectation for Poehling should he play a full calender year next season. That's with another off season and training camp under his belt.  Years down the road is obviously a little more difficult to predict. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Geez, I'm no prospect expert, but if he can't end up outproducing 30-point, cement-handed Lehkonen, then I'll rate that as a disappointment. From what I've read, a point total in the 40s seems a reasonable expectation of his "ceiling" in the NHL, with gusts into the 50s for the optimistic. So my guess would be that he'd project as a poor man's Pleks. But again, I'm no expert. That said, for next season specifically, I expect little other than coachability and unusually capable responsible defensive play for a rookie.

I agree, I was basically saying I hope he pans out. Lekhonen is a good NHLer but not a point producer; we want Poehling to be both.

Maybe Danault is a good comparable?

2 hours ago, Neech said:

I agree, I was basically saying I hope he pans out. Lekhonen is a good NHLer but not a point producer; we want Poehling to be both.

Maybe Danault is a good comparable?

If the "poor man's Pleks" is a reasonable guess, then that does seem to describe Danault perfectly ;)

12 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I say put him in.

If Poehling is already slated as the 3 or 4C next year, then he’s probably better than what we have now.

Hes not slated as anything for next season.  He might be headed to play 1c and big minutes in laval 

• Like 1

On 01/04/2019 at 10:43 AM, Commandant said:

Hes not slated as anything for next season.  He might be headed to play 1c and big minutes in laval 

Indeed. If we're talking about him at C, he is unlikely, at this stage, to represent an upgrade on anyone. People still talk like the Habs are a black hole at C, but Domi-Kk-Danault-Weal is a decent configuration; its main weak point is actually KK, but that's because he's an overstretched rookie. And another rookie is unlikely to be the cure for that.

I’m at a USHL game, sitting beside a St Cloud St scout. He is so happy for Poehling - following his NHL debut tonight. 

Needless to say and perhaps obvious to us - but he loves Poehling and thinks he’ll be a really good player for us!

Well, the kid had a pretty decent first NHL game! Hat trick and the winning goal in the shoot out!

Looking forward to seeing him with the Habs next year!

Well, that was unexpected!

What I've read about Poehling suggests more of a 3rd line/2nd line two-way C than a bona-fide scorer. Do any of the prospect experts on this site have any thoughts on what to make of that spectacular debut?