Ryan Poehling signs 3 year entry deal

DON

12 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I thought the same thing.  I think you're right.  Everything I read says he projects to a good two way centre.  Poor man's toews.  

Yeah, either a Danault (poor man's Pleks) or a Pleks (poor man's Toews). But none of those three had a hat trick in their first game, ha ha

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, that was unexpected!

What I've read about Poehling suggests more of a 3rd line/2nd line two-way C than a bona-fide scorer. Do any of the prospect experts on this site have any thoughts on what to make of that spectacular debut?

Like he said himself, he had hat trick at world juniors, but other than that he never had one, even in high school. So was an awesome debut and 1943 was long time ago record, he likely still will be that 3rd line/2nd line two way centre, who still may be best off starting in Laval.

But, of course we all hope he comes in to camp bigger & stronger and forces their hand...only good thing about missing playoffs is extra time to prepare for next season.

Will Poehling play for team USA at world championships?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, that was unexpected!

What I've read about Poehling suggests more of a 3rd line/2nd line two-way C than a bona-fide scorer. Do any of the prospect experts on this site have any thoughts on what to make of that spectacular debut?

He had 3 shots and scored 3 goals. Also scored a 4th goal in the shootout on his fourth shot. Great game from him obviously, but I don't think one game changes his projection. I don't expect his shooting percentage to continue at this level.  He's always been a better playmaker than goal scorer at the college level and below as well.  That said, this game and the WJC suggest there is some goal scoring there.  Still I think another Danault would be a good projection for him.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Like he said himself, he had hat trick at world juniors, but other than that he never had one, even in high school. So was an awesome debut and 1943 was long time ago record, he likely still will be that 3rd line/2nd line two way centre, who still may be best off starting in Laval.

But, of course we all hope he comes in to camp bigger & stronger and forces their hand...only good thing about missing playoffs is extra time to prepare for next season.

Will Poehling play for team USA at world championships?

Poehling might... seeing as USA loves using young players at worlds