Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

We have a descant 1 round pick and 2 2nd round picks. If I were Bergevin I would offer up the 1 and 2 to try and get a number one puck moving defensemen. Maybe call up Philadelphia and offer them a 1st and 2nd round pick 

For

Gostisbehere 

Then we can add another LD through UFA. Maybe add Gardiner. Hopefully have a defense core group looking like this next season 

Gostisbehere  / Weber

Gardiner  / Petry 

Kulak  / Mete 

I know mete is LD but we could move him over to the RD. Thats a much stronger group then last years core. 

Don't forget about Juulsen. The right side is set.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

I'm not going to read too much about the prospects in our range, and save that investment for whoever we do end up with.  Hard to get too excited about the 15th pick.

3 recent examples;

Matt Barzal 16th

Dylan Larkin 15th

Thomas Chabot 18th

Lots of great prospects picked mid-1st round, but thanks for letting us know you arnt interested anyways.:B)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DON said:

3 recent examples;

Matt Barzal 16th

Dylan Larkin 15th

Thomas Chabot 18th

Lots of great prospects picked mid-1st round, but thanks for letting us know you arnt interested anyways.:B)

We can certainly strike gold (or hit a dud), but I'll save my interest for when we have a player to care about.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I'll save my interest for when we have a player to care about.

That is in 3 weeks or so, what else is there going on to discuss...on this thread.

Not alot of big info shed.

Interviewed 85 of prospects but skipped top group.

will have own combine next week in Montreal and again in Europe the week after (i think he said) with about 16 euro-kids attending.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:45 PM, DON said:

Not alot of big info shed.

Interviewed 85 of prospects but skipped top group.

will have own combine next week in Montreal and again in Europe the week after (i think he said) with about 16 euro-kids attending.

Do many teams do their own combines? That's potentially 32 combines for a junior player to go through ...

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Do many teams do their own combines? That's potentially 32 combines for a junior player to go through ...

The players at this combine won't be at the one in Montreal (or at most, very few will).  This combine would be for draft-eligibles not invited to the main one and undrafted players that the team may want to get a look at as potential options for minor league contracts.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The players at this combine won't be at the one in Montreal (or at most, very few will).  This combine would be for draft-eligibles not invited to the main one and undrafted players that the team may want to get a look at as potential options for minor league contracts.

Thanks, that makes more sense than my assumption.

I am certainly no expert scout but the clips I have seen of Philip Broberg have been most impressive, excellent size and a terrific skater. He may not be available when the Habs draft. I have seen him go as high as 8 in some mock drafts and in the late teens in others. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am certainly no expert scout but the clips I have seen of Philip Broberg have been most impressive, excellent size and a terrific skater. He may not be available when the Habs draft. I have seen him go as high as 8 in some mock drafts and in the late teens in others. 

Cam York

Thomas Harley

are 2 other d-options

From Athletic bit;

"Timmins gave an oddly specific answer. Another hint? Perhaps.

“There’s a lot of real solid, good defencemen that are anywhere from 5-11 to 6-feet in this draft,” he said. “And that’s one thing we’re trying to find out here, which ones have growth potential? You know, there’s always players that leave here, and two years down the road they’re one, two, three inches taller and they’re bigger.”

1 hour ago, DON said:

From Athletic bit;

"Timmins gave an oddly specific answer. Another hint? Perhaps.

“There’s a lot of real solid, good defencemen that are anywhere from 5-11 to 6-feet in this draft,” he said. “And that’s one thing we’re trying to find out here, which ones have growth potential? You know, there’s always players that leave here, and two years down the road they’re one, two, three inches taller and they’re bigger.”

And the D prospects in that range? Heinola, Soderstrom and York.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2019/2019/6/4/18649627/thomas-harley-montreal-canadiens-nhl-mock-draft-2019-defenceman-prospect-options-seider-kaliyev

And EOTP has us taking Harley, either York or Harley seem like fine choices to me, but York seems to more highly rated by most "rankers".

Based on the comments from Timmins, I see Heinola, Soderstrom and York as the three most likely candidates -- depending on what the 14 teams ahead of us decide to do, of course.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Based on the comments from Timmins, I see Heinola, Soderstrom and York as the three most likely candidates -- depending on what the 14 teams ahead of us decide to do, of course.

Anyone else worried York's numbers are hugely inflated by the forward crop in front of him? Hughes, Caufeild, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte... He's literally playing behind 5 top 10 projected forwards. I'm almost surprised he didn't manage more than 1 point per game. Unless I'm missing something I'm kind of wanting to stay away. At this point I think I'd rather either Broberg, Soderstrom or Heinola for Defence over York.

Up front Lavoie, or Newhook could be available, and Peyton Krebs could fall to us. And Kaliyev is a swing for the fences IMO. I worry if he'll ever translate to pro because of his skating, but If he overcame it he could be a 30 goal guy.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

However, if the likes of Newhook, Podkolzin, or a Kaliyev are still on the board, i dont think picking a forward would be a surprise.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Anyone else worried York's numbers are hugely inflated by the forward crop in front of him? Hughes, Caufeild, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte... He's literally playing behind 5 top 10 projected forwards. I'm almost surprised he didn't manage more than 1 point per game. Unless I'm missing something I'm kind of wanting to stay away. At this point I think I'd rather either Broberg, Soderstrom or Heinola for Defence over York.

Up front Lavoie, or Newhook could be available, and Peyton Krebs could fall to us. And Kaliyev is a swing for the fences IMO. I worry if he'll ever translate to pro because of his skating, but If he overcame it he could be a 30 goal guy.

York is part if driving that offence.  He can play.

When hughes and turcotte and others left the u17s to join the u18s a year ago in january... york was still racking up points with the 17s.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

However, if the likes of Newhook, Podkolzin, or a Kaliyev are still on the board, i dont think picking a forward would be a surprise.

I dont think they would take kaliyev.  Doesnt have "character"

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont think they would take kaliyev.  Doesnt have "character"

Do you think Suzuki is a option, or just not good enough and will more likely go in bottom 3rd of round?