Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Do you think Suzuki is a option, or just not good enough and will more likely go in bottom 3rd of round?

His second half really hurt his status imo.  I think 15 is too early for him.

Lavoie, Heinola, Broberg, York, Newhook, Boldy, Krebs, Caufield, Cozens, Podkolzin, Zegras, Dach, Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Soderstrom

Someone (more than one) on that list will be available.  Thats 16 names, cant all go top 14.  So you are going to get a good prospect.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

His second half really hurt his status imo.  I think 15 is too early for him.

Sure and agree should be a good group to pick from at 15.

Whats your take on the German d-man, supposedly he impressed at World championships as 17 yr old and seems to be big riser in rankings, sort of like Kotkaniemi was (just late 1st to mid 1st round vs top half to #3).

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

York is part if driving that offence.  He can play.

When hughes and turcotte and others left the u17s to join the u18s a year ago in january... york was still racking up points with the 17s.

Which is your favorite d man outside of Byram?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Sure and agree should be a good group to pick from at 15.

Whats your take on the German d-man, supposedly he impressed at World championships as 17 yr old and seems to be big riser in rankings, sort of like Kotkaniemi was (just late 1st to mid 1st round vs top half to #3).

He has size and he can skate and drive offence from what I've seen. 

That said, the level of competition he faced all year was weak.  German league, then WJC was in the 1A division... I always find it hard to scout a guy like that with limited games against tough opponents. 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Which is your favorite d man outside of Byram?

I like Heinola and Stromberg because both have shown that they can play at the adult level, in Liiga and Swedish elite league, respectively. Heinola average 19 minutes a game against strong adult opponents and Stromberg 17, so I have at least some confidence that they have what it takes to break into the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I like Heinola and Stromberg because both have shown that they can play at the adult level, in Liiga and Swedish elite league, respectively. Heinola average 19 minutes a game against strong adult opponents and Stromberg 17, so I have at least some confidence that they have what it takes to break into the NHL.

I'm not convinced that Liiga is better than Allsvenskan (where Broberg played).  Both are a step below SHL. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm not convinced that Liiga is better than Allsvenskan (where Broberg played).  Both are a step below SHL.

I personally do think Liiga is stronger, given that there generally is not much player movement from Liiga to Allsvenskan, whereas there is movement between the top leagues in the two countries. But that's just my opinion.

And, yes, Bromberg played in an adult league as well, so he should get credit for that.

The strength of allsvenskan has gone up alot the last years. Before it was only like two-three teams that could give the bottomfeeder SHL-teams a hard time in the qualifications but now there are teams placed 3-8 in allsvenskan who regularly play evenly and beat the SHL-teams.

in my opinion Broberg is a bit of a better choice over Heinola, they may have both played in adult leagues but the way their games translate against larger opponents is what really matters when you look at it. When a draft eligible player is playing against men, you aren't truly looking at how he handles higher skilled players, but how he handles a more mature, heavier and stronger game impacting his own. Of course all of it matters to some degree, but no matter where he is playing, if you are trying to evaluate him based on how he handled one league's skill vs another, it will still never come close to adding up to what he will see in the NHL. How his decisions are affected by the bigger stronger players, how he manages bigger stronger guys in his own zone, how he manages the physicality he will have to endure night after night, does his individual skills get diminished by that reality or not, etc. 

To me, that is what truly matters when I am trying to see if a skilled player can handle things once he gets to the NHL, the skill part of his evaluation, i keep individualized, and in this case I feel that Broberg has a bit of a higher ceiling. They will both be effective and very good NHL Dmen who can drive offence, but Broberg looks like he can cap out as a #1, and Heinola looks like he caps out as a #2. For that reason though, I doubt very highly that Broberg is still there at 15, and Heinola more likely will be, so that looks like our guy if we are indeed picking a D, and I would be very happy with that choice. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

Do the Habs release the list of players who attended their two internal combines?

Oh, I wish.  But no, we only find out if they've attended one of the combines if they're drafted or invited to rookie camp where Timmins or someone will say they saw them at a combine.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

First round and then some. But there are a bunch with good potential, for sure Byram isn't the only one.

If is a d-man, pulling for Harley if not him then York, based only on what have read and highlight clips.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's hard to guess who will be available. We might even end up with a forward if there is a good one that slips down the draft order.

Arthur Kaliyev. Not really slipping down, but as far as goals go, he's the kid

Edited by Habber31

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

We might even end up with a forward if there is a good one that slips down the draft order.

Oh for sure there will be a small group of forwards that would make perfect sense as well, especially if one or two drop a bit.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Peyton Krebs with the Achilles tear is the forward who might drop and would be a hell of a pick at 15. 

Top ten talent if healthy. 

An Achilles injury though... in a league built on speed...

Risky pick.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

An Achilles injury though... in a league built on speed...

Risky pick.

Hes young.  Its a partial (not full) tear.  You obviously have your doctors look at it and figure out what they expect in terms of recovery.

The thing is... hes not Chipchura who was an average at best skater before the injury and became molasses afterwards (it was also a more serious injury, a full tear). Krebs is starting at a higher level in that he is a great skater before the injury.

Others, like karlsson, have recovered from Achilles injuries to still be great skaters.

To me if the doctors think he will recover.  Its worth the risk given his talent level.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hes young.  Its a partial (not full) tear.  You obviously have your doctors look at it and figure out what they expect in terms of recovery.

The thing is... hes not Chipchura who was an average at best skater before the injury and became molasses afterwards (it was also a more serious injury, a full tear). Krebs is starting at a higher level in that he is a great skater before the injury.

Others, like karlsson, have recovered from Achilles injuries to still be great skaters.

To me if the doctors think he will recover.  Its worth the risk given his talent level.

I’d be ecstatic to pick up Krebs at 15. He’s got a motor like Gallagher and one of the better passers in the draft. He was in on nearly 40% of Kootenay’s goals this year. 

Edit: Read up a little more on Krebs, and apparently over 70% of those were primary points, making it that much more impressive.

With St Louis winning the cup and both them and Boston both being physical teams I could see a lot of teams turning their eyes towards Lavoie.  The game will turn more physical next year as everyone tries to imitate those 2 teams.

19 hours ago, kaos said:

With St Louis winning the cup and both them and Boston both being physical teams I could see a lot of teams turning their eyes towards Lavoie.  The game will turn more physical next year as everyone tries to imitate those 2 teams.

Lavoie isn't physical at all, is he?

And I think many GMs have tossed out the height/weight #s when drafting.

Smaller guys (even d-men) being overlooked early in the draft and then kicking ass in the NHL has eliminated that last century thinking on "Bigger is Better".