Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

With mcavoy generously listed at 6'0 (hint... hes not 6'0) plus krug at 5'7 and grzelecyk at 5'7.. what is there to be said here.  Thats 3 of the best 4 Bruins d this year 

And St Louis won the cup.

What more of a catalyst do NHL GMs need to get a renewed hardon for the Big Mean Defenceman team dynamic?

The western conference especially might overreact, like the east did to Lucic 8 years ago.

I have a feeling we are going Finn again this year and taking Ville Heinola. When I read poor man's Miro Heiskanen, I don't mind at all.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

If you look at my rankings page.

Lastwordonhockey.com/2019-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

You can see my rankings. 

What isnt there is the tiers 

I have a tier at 16 so the next d after seider, ie Harley and Heinola, who are lefties... i think they are a tier down.

When guys are really close.  Ok take by position... but i have seider up with the prior group so you have to go bpa.

After looking at predictions from many sites/experts, there is definitely a wide variance in opinion once you get past the first 8-10 picks. For example Craig Button  had Kolyachonok at 24 and Seider at 26. Obviously trying to determine how an 18 year old is going to develop is not an exact science. It does seem like it's a pretty deep draft so hopefully we can also find a gem with one of our 2 second round picks. 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

And St Louis won the cup.

What more of a catalyst do NHL GMs need to get a renewed hardon for the Big Mean Defenceman team dynamic?

The western conference especially might overreact, like the east did to Lucic 8 years ago.

Sure let those gms look for those guys.  We have a karl alzner we can trade someone.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DON said:

Wonder which of the five is willing to part with their 2nd pick.

I assume Sabres wouldnt want to trade down for more picks, but for a roster player would likely part with 31st pick. Ducks likely would trade down from 29th to help restock. Is it worthwhile for Habs to even try and move up to 29th for #46 + 1 or 2 other picks?

Rangers 2 & 20

Aves 4 & 16

LA 5 & 22

Sabres 7 & 31

Ducks 9 & 29

It's an interesting idea. It really depends on who's there. If Ryan Suzuki falls to 29th for example, I'd love to move the 46th++ to nab him. I think he could be a good top 6 play maker yet. I bet after an inconstant draft year, next year he has a Joe Veleno type bounce back year. 

Actually Suzuki is highly comparable to Veleno in ways. Veleno was exceptional status whereas Suzuki went 1st OA. Both had crazy high draft stock to start the year, and then fell in the second half. Both are excellent play making centers. Suzuki could fall the same way as Veleno did.

39 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Habs trade up and draft Cole Caufield. Maybe with Edmonton?

I have no interest in caufield in the top 10.

For small players to truly thrive at the level worthy of a top 10 pick they need to be a great skater.  He isnt.

Those goal numbers also come beside hughes and on the best usntdp team ever.

Id take him at 15.  But im not trading up for him

20 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

About the habsworld draftpool, cant roll the list to pick for example kaapo kakko on my iphone...

Same. Gotta do it on computer I guess

from Pronman 2.0 draft

1. Montreal: Cam York, D, USNTDP-USHL

The names linked to the Habs are York, Lassi Thomson and Soderstrom, to a lesser degree. I’ve also heard Jackson Lacombe linked to them, but that might be more of a second-round target. If Caufield somehow gets this far, I think this is his floor, but otherwise I think the Habs are taking a defenseman. 

52 minutes ago, DON said:

from Pronman 2.0 draft

1. Montreal: Cam York, D, USNTDP-USHL

The names linked to the Habs are York, Lassi Thomson and Soderstrom, to a lesser degree. I’ve also heard Jackson Lacombe linked to them, but that might be more of a second-round target. If Caufield somehow gets this far, I think this is his floor, but otherwise I think the Habs are taking a defenseman. 

Lacombe and Thomson should be second round targets. If we pick a forward with the 15th (and I'm partial to a few forwards around the 15th) than we can use our next two picks on D men like Lacombe/Thomson.

If we end up drafting one of Seider, York, Broberg etc, then I'd love to nab a couple forwards in the second. Ideally we cuold snag someone who fell a bit. Brayden Tracey if he fell to us would be an amazing pickup although he probably won't make it to us. Maybe Pelletier could fall due to his size? 

I think Albin Grewe would be an awesome pick with the 50th. He likes to compare his style to Brad Marchand. He has skill but is a pest. I feel like he's the kind of guy that could make it as an awesome bottom 6 guy. 

Samuel Fagemo could be a great pickup their too. Already produced well in the SHL.

Some good possibilities (Outside of stupidly big unpredictable falls)

15th - Krebs > Newhook > Broberg/York/Seider > Kaliyev

46th - Tracey/Pelletier/Dorofeyev 

50th - Grewe, Fagemo, Legare, Thomson, Lacombe

Kaliyev was basically tops in DONT DRAFT- biggest chance of busting, according to 8 scouts polled by the Athletic.

I just don't want a d-man picked in 1st round, who doesn't have both offensive puck skills and can skate well (a la Tinordi). Those who lack one or other can be  easily found in 2nd round (like the 6'6" Vlasic).

I picked York at 15, but only because Broberg gone already, either be fine by me. (Supposedly York basically said "Montreal seemed to have more interest in me than other teams did." I think Bergevin only sat in on a group of prospect interviews, not all 85)

Couple questions posed to 8 scouts from the Athletic;

Is there a player you think is rated lower in the NHL rankings than he should be? I.e. Sleeper pick

• Ethan Keppen (LW, Flint Firebirds, OHL). He was productive on a bad Flint team. Put him on a playoff team and he gets more notice.
  • Possible sleeper for me that no one really talks about may be Domenick Fensore (D, U.S. U18, NTDP). A possible Torey Krug down the road?
  • Victor Soderstrom (D, Brynas, SHL).
  • Ryan Johnson (D, Sioux Falls, USHL).
  • Nathan Legare (RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL).
  • In a lot of rankings Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA, VHL) is a bit too low for me. His potential is very close to Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko. He showed flashes of excellence early on in this season but in later international tournaments he faded away a bit. Still, I like him a lot, on my personal list he’s a “shaky” third-overall pick. He plays with energy, grit, passion, has good skills and he is a tough guy.

Which player do you think has the greatest potential to end up as a bust?

• Arthur Kayliev (LW, Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL). His production has raised expectations, don’t know if his game will translate at the next level. He won’t get the space he gets now at the pro level.
  • Arthur Kayliev (LW, Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL).
  • Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA, VHL).
  • Alex Vlasic (D, U.S. U18, NTDP). I think he gets the NTDP benefit of the doubt, just a bigger guy.
  • Jayden Struble (D, St. Sebastian’s, MA-High School).
  • From the projected first-rounders it’s Spencer Knight (G, U.S. U18, NTDP). History tells us that predicting goalie futures is very tricky.
  • Brett Leason (RW, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL).

Every year someone expected to go high falls down the draft list – who’s that player for you this year?

• Ryan Suzuki (C, Barrie Colts, OHL) has fallen victim to that already.
  • Ryan Suzuki (C, Barrie Colts, OHL).
  • Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA, VHL).
  • Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA, VHL) because of the combination of not playing very well later in the season and being a Russian — if there are other question marks, as there are with Podkolzin, the KHL factor still cashes in.
  • Arthur Kayliev (LW, Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL). There are some questions about his play away from the puck. Might be the best shooter available.
  • Arthur Kayliev (LW, Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL).
  • Raphael Lavoie (C, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL).
  • Cam York (D, U.S. U18, NTDP).

In your estimation who is the most NHL-ready player in the draft?

• Kaapo Kakko (RW, TPS, Liiga).
  • The most NHL-ready for me is Kakko. He has the size and experience of playing with the men already in the Finnish league.
  • Kakko, he’s already showed that at the worlds.
  • It’s clearly Kakko.
  • Kaapo Kakko.
  • Kaapo Kakko.
  • Kaapo Kakko.
  • Kaapo Kakko.

I just heard Pat Hickey on a local Montreal sports program.  Mitch Melnick asked him what he thought about the Habs 15th pick in this years draft. 

He said that if it was him, he would trade the pick for a hockey type deal. His reasoning was that anyone they pick this year will be at least 2-3 years away from helping them, if ever. Immediate help via a trade for the 15th pick and perhaps adding a piece, would guarantee help this year, which they need to help get them into the playoffs next season. He said it's time to get help now and not just plan for the future given the ages of Price and Weber. 

He was asked about the need for left handed defencemen and he said that he had been talking to Trevor Timmons the night before who stated that they are expecting Romanov to be here for the 2020-2021 season and for him to be ready to step in right away. 

He also added that Bergevin has made it pretty clear in the past that he was not willing to give up young assets so he didn't know if that was an option for MB.

But maybe if its for a younger asset and not an older veteran MB would consider it. 

What do think? Keep the pick and wait, or package it with something else and get someone who will be around for a while but can also help us now.

Any suggestions on who might be a good fit? 

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

which they need to help get them into the playoffs next season.

Need top players to stay healthy and a minor tweek or two and a upgrade on Mete/Kulak is obvious one, even if not a huge upgrade. Is Weber had of played last fall we all know they would of had a couple more wins with Alzner-Oulette-Reilly in pressbox more often.

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

He also added that Bergevin has made it pretty clear in the past that he was not willing to give up young assets

Well actually he has made it clear that he wont give up young assets "for a rental or stop gap". He also has made that clear that "he would use" prospects/picks in a regular NHL deal.

So 15th pick likely could be had for a youngish player and all i have heard is that philly d-man is the main target Habs should chase; but am sure are probably 20 other d-men that would fit the bill, or forwards like Ehlers may also help

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

I just heard Pat Hickey on a local Montreal sports program.  Mitch Melnick asked him what he thought about the Habs 15th pick in this years draft. 

He said that if it was him, he would trade the pick for a hockey type deal. His reasoning was that anyone they pick this year will be at least 2-3 years away from helping them, if ever. Immediate help via a trade for the 15th pick and perhaps adding a piece, would guarantee help this year, which they need to help get them into the playoffs next season. He said it's time to get help now and not just plan for the future given the ages of Price and Weber. 

He was asked about the need for left handed defencemen and he said that he had been talking to Trevor Timmons the night before who stated that they are expecting Romanov to be here for the 2020-2021 season and for him to be ready to step in right away. 

He also added that Bergevin has made it pretty clear in the past that he was not willing to give up young assets so he didn't know if that was an option for MB.

But maybe if its for a younger asset and not an older veteran MB would consider it. 

What do think? Keep the pick and wait, or package it with something else and get someone who will be around for a while but can also help us now.

Any suggestions on who might be a good fit? 

I would trade it for Puljujarvi ?

Not sure I would trade the 15th pick for Puljujarvi, the Oilers really messed him up by rushing him. It's not the first time they have done that. They have messed up a lot of things. I think the Oilers would jump at the chance to grab the 15th pick for him as he now wants a trade. 

35 minutes ago, EMELINATOR said:

I would trade it for Puljujarvi ?

I wouldn't do that.  I'd have a hard time justifying a second-rounder for him, to be honest.  He has been brutal in Edmonton and it's not as if the Habs are in need of fringe players up front; they have a lot of NHL depth already.  If I'm dealing #15, it's for an impact piece, not a lottery ticket.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't do that.  I'd have a hard time justifying a second-rounder for him, to be honest.  He has been brutal in Edmonton and it's not as if the Habs are in need of fringe players up front; they have a lot of NHL depth already.  If I'm dealing #15, it's for an impact piece, not a lottery ticket.

I don’t think the #15 overall pick will get you an impact piece. I also don’t believe anyone you draft there would have as much upside as Puljujarvi tbh. I’ve seen him dominate hockey games, I don’t think he’s just lost it.

But I definitely understand your hesitation tho. His value is at an all-time low.

52 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not sure I would trade the 15th pick for Puljujarvi, the Oilers really messed him up by rushing him. It's not the first time they have done that. They have messed up a lot of things. I think the Oilers would jump at the chance to grab the 15th pick for him as he now wants a trade. 

I would also hope that we could get him for cheaper at this time and place. But I would be willing to move our 1st rounder for him.

I think at 21 years old and hopefully with his injuries behind him, he would be extremely hungry on a new club to prove people wrong. I would love for that be on a line with Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Puljujarvi is intriguing, a big guy with talent who hasn't been developed properly, wasn't ready to come to Canada when he did and should have stayed in Finland another year.  I would definitely give up a second for him but the Oilers would want more. He is still a young guy, just turned 21 a month ago. The Oilers are in a tough spot with him. He is a big topic of conversation on Edmonton sports radio right now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Puljujarvi is intriguing, a big guy with talent who hasn't been developed properly, wasn't ready to come to Canada when he did and should have stayed in Finland another year.  I would definitely give up a second for him but the Oilers would want more. He is still a young guy, just turned 21 a month ago. The Oilers are in a tough spot with him. He is a big topic of conversation on Edmonton sports radio right now. 

The reported asking price is a third-liner for him.  It probably wouldn't take more than a second-round pick to beat that price tag.

• Like 1