Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kid was ranked #8 and slid down due to size. Probably due to the St Louis effect.

Never having been a big believer in size as such, this sounds good to me.

That said, the review Commandant posted suggested a "boom or bust" pick. As I almost always say about prospects, I won't get too excited until I actually see him delivering in an NHL uni.

By the way, they didn't take the French kid. But I bet this won't stop the narrative that "they always take the French kid over the bpa."

Since 1989

Habs first round draft picks

Quebecois: 2

Americans: 12

They always take the French kid is the narrative though.

26 of my top 31 were taken in the first round.  I consider Bob McKenzie the master at these rankings.  He hit 26.  I am now 2-1-1 head to head with him in the last 4 years. 

Sportsnet was showing quotes during the draft.  They quoted our site for SIX different prospects. 

I'm buzzing. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Love this pick, the kid has superstar potential if he does make it to the big show.  Been a while since we've had a real sniper in the pipeline.  It's weird how Caufield at #15 and Sergachev at #9 both seemed to have more immediate elite buzz about them than Kotka did at #3 last year (not that I'm unhappy with that pick).

I'm a little leary of 7 USNDTP players going in the top 15; they can't all be that good.  But when in doubt, I'll go with 72 frickin' goals. 

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They always take the French kid is the narrative though.

When the draft is in Montreal there's a lot more pressure to do so, especially coming off a letdown like 08-09.  I remember a big talking point in '07 was how Perron was still on the board when they took Pacioretty.  I do think this pressure has waned in the last decade with Quebec receding as a producer of top talent, and younger fans don't expect the Habs to be as French as they used to.

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Well done, 26/31 is pretty darn good. Who was the biggest surprise of your picks that weren't taken in the first round? 

Lavoie was at 14. 

Kaliyev was at 19

the rest were late 20s. 

The biggest surprises who were taken were Beecher (51, the Bruins DID IT AGAIN), and Holmstrom (48).

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Never heard of him before tonight. 

Scores a lot. 

I think i read he is headed to Wisconsin

Well, be assured we just drafted the kid who set the all time USDP goal scoring record, ahead of Phil Kessel. And if I’m not mistaken, beat the single season record ahead of Austin Matthews. 

There are articles out there asking “could Caufeild slip to the flyers at 11?”

Well he did slip to 11! And 12, 13, 14. Habs nabbed the best pure goal scorer in the entire draft. I really think he could be a DeBrincat clone. Confident he’s a 30 goal scorer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

26 of my top 31 were taken in the first round.  I consider Bob McKenzie the master at these rankings.  He hit 26.  I am now 2-1-1 head to head with him in the last 4 years. 

Sportsnet was showing quotes during the draft.  They quoted our site for SIX different prospects. 

I'm buzzing. 

Well done.  I did see Sportsnet using lastwordonhockey quotes.

9 hours ago, Neech said:

It's weird how Caufield at #15 and Sergachev at #9 both seemed to have more immediate elite buzz about them than Kotka did at #3 last year (not that I'm unhappy with that pick).

KoKo is not an especially flashy player. He's more of a cerebral type like Bobby Smith. By contrast, Sergachev is all sick offensive skill - and maybe nothing else - and Caufield is a quick-speed-change scoring machine (Cammalleri might be a nice comparable?). Caufield also played on a prestige team. So those guys dazzle the eye more than KoKo.

I like that the Habs didn't get clever and overthink with this pick - not like when they passed up Mike Bossy, say ('he can't play D!'). There is something very satisying about them saying 'holy cow can this kid score goals. The end.'

2 hours ago, kaos said:

What does it take, draft capital wise, to move up from 46/50  to 32/34?

Several players have slipped, and not necessarily because teams don’t like them, they just liked others better. The fact that there are Lavoie’s and Kaliyev’s on the board probably means it would take more than 46/50 to move into the low 30’s. 

If we’re high 30’s 46/50 should do the trick

3 hours ago, kaos said:

What does it take, draft capital wise, to move up from 46/50  to 32/34?

Maybe add pick #77 & #136 to either?

(Is that enough, unlikely)

2014 #39 went for #44 & #74

2015 #31 went for pick #39, 2016 2nd round & 6th round picks

2015 #36 went for #42, #73 & 2015 4th or 2016 3rd

2017 #35 went for #44, #75 & #108

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm buzzing. 

Congratulations commandant. You are right up there with the best!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

They also could add Hudon to move up a few spots and keep the 2nd, 2nd rounder. 

Maybe 4 or 5 spots to the right team looking for depth. 

Hudon isn't going to move the needle when it comes to a 2nd rounder (or a 3rd, or a 4th, etc).  His trade value is what, a 6th or 7th rounder at this point?

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm buzzing. 

Well done once again this year big guy! You keep us updated and educated on drafts and young prospects year in, year out... ?

• Upvote 1