Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Meller93

Regardless of the playoff push, we’re very likely to draft in the 14-18 area. There are a couple very very good prospects I’ve seen than could slip to us here. 

My personal #1 Cole Caufield.

the best pure goal scorer in the draft, he could slip because of his tiny size for the NHL, at 5’7. I believe he could be the second coming of DeBrincat. 40 goal scorer isn’t impossible for guys like him as we’ve seen. 

Ive also seen fellow Newfie Alex Newhook listed anywhere from 9-20. The BCHL top scorer I believe, he could be another Suzuki type prospect IMO. Offensive instincts are top notch. 

Another enticing pick, none other than Suzuki #2. Drafting Nicks brother Ryan would be very interesting. A solid solid prospect in his own right. 

Out of these three who do you guys like? Who else might we be able to nab in this draft position? My order is:

1. Caufeild

2. Newhook

3. Suzuki

We have to hope for a McDonagh situation where a player that is highly valued by our scouts falls to us.  There certainly will still be some great players on the board, but it's a shot in the dark to snag them at that position.  

Without knowing our exact draft position, and considering all possibilities (including miraculously moving up in the draft lottery if they miss the playoffs or move down if the Habs make the conference finals).  These are the guys that I would want in the order that I would prefer.  I'm not a scout, nor have I watched these guys play much this year.  I'm going by rankings, scouting reports, and other fans' evaluations (not scouts, but fans who have seen these guys play a lot and seem to know what they're talking about) of these players.

1.   Jack Hughes C

2.   Kaapo Kakko RW

3.   Bowen Byram D

4.   Alex Turcotte C

5.   Vasili Podkolzin RW

6.   Kirby Dach C

7.   Dylan Cozens C

8.   Alex Newhook C

9.   Pavel Dorofeyev LW/RW  

10. Victor Soderstrom D

11. Trevor Zegras C

12. Matthew Boldy LW

13. Cole Caufield RW/C

14. Philip Broberg D

15. Cam York D

16. Connor McMichael C

17. Peyton Krebs LW/C

18. Bobby Brink RW

19. Ville Heinola D

20. Thomas Harley D

21. Samuel Poulin LW

22. Ryan Suzuki C

23. Arthur Kaliyev LW

24. Raphael Lavoie C/RW

25. Matthew Robertson D

26. Jakob Pelletier RW

27. Mikko Kokkonen D

28. Moritz Seider D

29. Ilya Nikolayev F

30. Kaedan Korczak D

31. Philip Tomasino C

So if  Hughes is off the board, I go with Kaako, if Kaako is off the board I go with Byram, and so on and so forth.

• dlbalr changed the title to Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Not sure who I would draft, but most experts agree to say that 2019 is supposed to be the best draft year since 2003. THere are supposed to be some excellent players all through the first round and even in the early second round!

The Habs need to find someone talented...either a scoring winger or a defenseman who can become a general for the power play!

34 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

The Habs need to find someone talented...either a scoring winger or a defenseman who can become a general for the power play!

If looking at a d-man in 15th range, Cam York maybe?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=209485

Bunch of rankings

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Cam York would be a solid pick in our range.

Id love to get Bowen Byram but he should be long gone.

Byram seems out of reach for Habs, unless trade a 2nd round pick.

Got any opinion on these three 6'3" LH d-men; WHL- Matthew Robertson, OHL- Thomas Harley or SWE- Philip Broberg.

9 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Victor Soderstrom, D or Cam York, D,

lets add to the defence core and pick up scoring with UFA or trades...

There are also D upgrades available by signing an undrafted player from NCAA or Europe.

11 hours ago, DON said:

Byram seems out of reach for Habs, unless trade a 2nd round pick.

Got any opinion on these three 6'3" LH d-men; WHL- Matthew Robertson, OHL- Thomas Harley or SWE- Philip Broberg.

I do

They'll be published soon enough

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

We're weak on D, you go with the best playmaking Defensemen on the board when we pick.

Go with bpa. Everytime. Unless they are too close to measure. Then take the position. If you are loaded with small dynamic wingers, and your pick comes up and a small dynamic winger is way better than everyone else, you take him anyway. If they are equal, then you can look at current needs.  But in 5 years they may not be current needs anymore 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Go with bpa. Everytime. Unless they are too close to measure. Then take the position. If you are loaded with small dynamic wingers, and your pick comes up and a small dynamic winger is way better than everyone else, you take him anyway. If they are equal, then you can look at current needs.  But in 5 years they may not be current needs anymore 

Especially given our current young d in Mete, Juulsen, Brock and Romanov + maybe Fleury.

Not all will pan out but there is pedigree at this position.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, Meller93 said:

My personal #1 Cole Caufield.

I agree. If he falls to 15 he's who I want. 

Give me a pure sniper for Kotkaniemi/Domi/Drouin in 3 years. Defense can be found in the 2nd round. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So if Capfriendly's draft list is correct, the Habs currently will pick with:

Habs 1st - 15th

Habs 2nd - 46th

Jackets 2nd - 50th

Habs 3rd - 77th

Habs 4th - 108th

Oilers 5th - 131st

Hawks 5th - 136th

Yotes 5th - 138th

Habs 6th - 170th