Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Meller93

Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Recommended Posts

Hopefully a Barzal or Karlsson type falls to #15, and we're smart enough to snag him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Ducharme at the Drumonville-Halifax game tonight. Ex drumondville coach so not sure how much scouting he'll be doing... but I hope the habs are watching Lavoie's playoff run. By god if he slips to 15... he has been insane (been to half Halifax's playoff games).

 

His goal scoring has been getting most the attention in the playoffs but his two way game looks incredible this run. He disrupts so much with his reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bbp said:

Saw Ducharme at the Drumonville-Halifax game tonight. Ex drumondville coach so not sure how much scouting he'll be doing... but I hope the habs are watching Lavoie's playoff run. By god if he slips to 15... he has been insane (been to half Halifax's playoff games).

 

His goal scoring has been getting most the attention in the playoffs but his two way game looks incredible this run. He disrupts so much with his reach.

6'3" or 4" and can score a bit, will have most teams scouting him heavy.

Has his skating looked "good for his size"? Skating is so important, like a McCarron who is just 1/2 step too late to the puck, to the hit, etc. to play at NHL speed.

I had read Lavoie's defensive game really needing improving, maybe he has worked hard at it or more focused with draft coming up perhaps?

 

But, i think will still be a handful of nice options at 15, even if he is taken sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

6'3" or 4" and can score a bit, will have most teams scouting him heavy.

Has his skating looked "good for his size"? Skating is so important, like a McCarron who is just 1/2 step too late to the puck, to the hit, etc. to play at NHL speed.

I had read Lavoie's defensive game really needing improving, maybe he has worked hard at it or more focused with draft coming up perhaps?

 

But, i think will still be a handful of nice options at 15, even if he is taken sooner.

His defensive game just jumped in the playoffs. Hes so much more active than he was during the season. Could be just the hype from being hot but it shows hes capable of it.

 

Skating is not a concern for Lavoie. Even if this strong backchecking is a mirage.

 

Edit: I was reallypro McCarron mainly because I saw him score two hatties in the ahl live.... Lavoie is a 100% different/better player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 9:07 PM, Trizzak said:

So if Capfriendly's draft list is correct, the Habs currently will pick with:

 

Habs 1st - 15th

Habs 2nd - 46th

Jackets 2nd - 50th

Habs 3rd - 77th

Habs 4th - 108th

Oilers 5th - 131st

Hawks 5th - 136th

Yotes 5th - 138th

Habs 6th - 170th

Jets 7th - 206th

 

Updated list: Jacket's 2nd rounder is 50th OA, and Winnipeg's 7th is 206th OA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, having pIcks #46 & #50, for drafting and/or trading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthur Kaliyev

6'2 190lb RWer

51g 51a in 67games this year in OHL.

Would be darn tempting option given his offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His scouting report is riddled with below average compete level, seems like the type of player they would steer clear of at this point.

 

Raphael Lavoie or Ville Heinola, in my opinion, would be potentially available at #15, and either one would be a fantastic addition to the current prospect pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Link67 said:

His scouting report is riddled with below average compete level, seems like the type of player they would steer clear of at this point.

 

Raphael Lavoie or Ville Heinola, in my opinion, would be potentially available at #15, and either one would be a fantastic addition to the current prospect pool.

Lavoie also has question marks (consistency, mediocre draft year offense) and why he is ranked close but lower than Kaliyev by most folks it seems.

51g in 67games...is mighty rare production for a 17 year old (31g as a OHL rookie also outstanding)

 

Commandant has once had him at #15 (and Lavoie at #16)

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/14/arthur-kaliyev-scouting-report/

 

here is nhl,com bit on Heinola

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/looking-ahead-to-the-2019-draft-ville-heinola/c-307490882

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, given playoff performance, Lavoie is likely moving up in my rankings when i do my update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Commandant said:

To be fair, given playoff performance, Lavoie is likely moving up in my rankings when i do my update. 

What impact do you put on Lavoie’s age? He’s nearly a full year older than some is he not?

 

Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him outside the stat sheet. But his age that, coupled with being a man amongst boys makes me worried how he’ll translate to the NHL. 

 

Looking at tall goal scorers (even if it’s not a perfect comparison) Will he cap at Brian Boyle production or be closer to Mantha?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pronman's take on the kid he calls "'one of most divisive prospects..."

  1. Arthur Kaliyev, LW, Hamilton-OHL

June 26, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 190 pounds

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 65
Shot Grade: 60

Kaliyev lit up the OHL this season, as one of the few modern-day OHL players to score 50 goals as a 17-year-old. He’s one of the best goal-scorers in the CHL and often had more than 10 shot attempts in a game. He’s not going to go bar down that often, but his shot is an absolute rocket, and if goalies are not in position, they won’t have time to adjust once he lets it go. Kaliyev is also a very good playmaker who makes high-end plays. Those 50 goals were complemented with 50 assists. Due to his shot and vision, he’s an absolute weapon on the man advantage who can run a unit and pick apart defenses.  He’s skilled but Kaliyev isn’t a player who can go end-to-end. He skates OK, but the main criticism of his game is his pace and compete. Kaliyev can often look like he’s not going that hard and will have long stretches of indifference. With that said, even in the many games where he looks like he’s doing nothing, you’ll check the box score and see one goal and two points. Thus the question is whether his style of play will translate to the NHL pace. He’s one of the most divisive prospects in this year’s draft.

Vince Laise, the acting coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs, on Kaliyev: “Arthur is one of the most dynamic players I’ve coached in the OHL in my six years here. I coached Dylan Strome and Alex DeBrincat. In my opinion, Arthur is just as good a player as either of those two. Arthur has the ability to find the back of the net just as those two did at the same age. They differ in play styles, but all achieve what NHL organizations look for. Arthur is more than just a power play producer, his underlying value is his ability to produce at even strength and his playmaking. He’s been as coachable as they come and a pleasure to work with.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for Heinola ...

https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-deep-dive-ville-heinola/

 

"But the biggest thing Heinola has going for him is his hockey smarts. He makes great decisions with and without the puck. He understands when to pinch in and when to hold back. He understands when he can try a risky long pass and when he shouldn’t do that. He thinks the game at a high level and seems to be one step ahead of the opposition. And he can recognize opportunities better than most players. "

 

"The top 10 in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft seems to be spoken for already but a team in need of a reliable puck-moving defenseman should seriously consider Heinola in the middle of the first round. In my books, Heinola is the top Finnish defenseman in this draft class – ahead of other very good options like Kokkonen, Lassi Thomson, Antti Tuomisto and Anttoni Honka.

 

From other European options, I’m putting Victor Söderström from Sweden slightly ahead of Heinola. But after that, it comes down to personal preference between Heinola, Philip Broberg and Moritz Seider. Heinola is obviously the smallest of the three but in today’s NHL, size is not so much of an issue as it used to be. And it’s not like Heinola is small – 5-foot-11 is pretty much the average these days."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And for Heinola ...

https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-deep-dive-ville-heinola/

 

"But the biggest thing Heinola has going for him is his hockey smarts. He makes great decisions with and without the puck. He understands when to pinch in and when to hold back. He understands when he can try a risky long pass and when he shouldn’t do that. He thinks the game at a high level and seems to be one step ahead of the opposition. And he can recognize opportunities better than most players. "

 

"The top 10 in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft seems to be spoken for already but a team in need of a reliable puck-moving defenseman should seriously consider Heinola in the middle of the first round. In my books, Heinola is the top Finnish defenseman in this draft class – ahead of other very good options like Kokkonen, Lassi Thomson, Antti Tuomisto and Anttoni Honka.

 

From other European options, I’m putting Victor Söderström from Sweden slightly ahead of Heinola. But after that, it comes down to personal preference between Heinola, Philip Broberg and Moritz Seider. Heinola is obviously the smallest of the three but in today’s NHL, size is not so much of an issue as it used to be. And it’s not like Heinola is small – 5-foot-11 is pretty much the average these days."

He is still seen as later 1st round pick or even 2nd round, by many (Mckenzie had him 24th, Pronman 28th).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Meller93 said:

What impact do you put on Lavoie’s age? He’s nearly a full year older than some is he not?

 

Admittedly I haven’t seen much of him outside the stat sheet. But his age that, coupled with being a man amongst boys makes me worried how he’ll translate to the NHL. 

 

Looking at tall goal scorers (even if it’s not a perfect comparison) Will he cap at Brian Boyle production or be closer to Mantha?

 

I do look at ages, but... he's still 18.  Yes he turns 19 in September... but the fact he is 18. 

He's also in his 3rd year in the QMJHL. 

 

Ok great. 

We are all excited about what Suzuki did in the playoffs right?  and he's another year and a half older than Lavoie. 

 

Imagine we had a player we drafted in 2018.  I don't know, lets just imagine Fonstad (turned 19 one month ago).  scored 20 goals in 23 playoff games.  If that happened, we'd be pretty excited by that performance one year after the draft (and Fonstad is 5 months older than Lavoie).  So while age matters, I don't think you can ignore just how dominant Lavoie has been.  And he's a third year QMJHL player at 18, this isn't some overager in his 5th year at 20/21.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Lavoie is an attractive option. Assuming he's still an option at 15 when we get to make the decision.

 

But in general I hope that MB will use the draft to shore up the D prospect pool, even with best player available etc. (By the time you get to second round, the differences between the players start to get much smaller anyway.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, DON said:

He is still seen as later 1st round pick or even 2nd round, by many (Mckenzie had him 24th, Pronman 28th).

 

Heinola is pretty much the best LD puck mover available from the 15 - 30 rank in my estimation, had a fantastic season against men for a rookie and some nice playoff production for a rookie.

 

Lavoie, I have a feeling won't be available by our turn, especially with his playoff performance now, but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, the Hughes brothers have combined into one player. from https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837972-nhl-draft-combine-2019-dates-schedule-format-and-top-prospects

 

"Top draft prospects Jack Quinn and Kaapo Kakko are expected to attend and participate fully in the combine."

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-05-24 at 7:01 PM, tomh009 said:

But in general I hope that MB will use the draft to shore up the D prospect pool

 

Seems odd though, 2 LH d-prospects from 2017 draft who both had good years, appear to be going unsigned if not signed by Saturday...:spamafote:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to read too much about the prospects in our range, and save that investment for whoever we do end up with.  Hard to get too excited about the 15th pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a descant 1 round pick and 2 2nd round picks. If I were Bergevin I would offer up the 1 and 2 to try and get a number one puck moving defensemen. Maybe call up Philadelphia and offer them a 1st and 2nd round pick 

For

Gostisbehere 

 

Then we can add another LD through UFA. Maybe add Gardiner. Hopefully have a defense core group looking like this next season 

 

Gostisbehere  / Weber

Gardiner  / Petry 

Kulak  / Mete 

 

I know mete is LD but we could move him over to the RD. Thats a much stronger group then last years core. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×