2019 NHL Playoffs

DON

5 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Kadri is bordering Matt Cooke country.  That was a brutal cross check. 

He gets the red mist and goes totally out of control. Given his history of suspensions, I expect a minimum of five games for that.

2 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Something wrong in TB. Down 2-0 in the series.

3 shots on goal in the first period of game 3.

So.... maybe they should have rested their stars during the final week???

14 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Something wrong in TB. Down 2-0 in the series.

3 shots on goal in the first period of game 3.

Absolutely incredible.

If you're the Tampa GM, what do you do? You have one of the greatest regular season teams ever assembled and it goes out easily in Round One. Do you keep the group together and keep the faith? Do you contemplate major surgery? Or do you look to make 1-2 key moves that transform the team into a 'playoff' oriented group? 

The easiest thing to do would be a coaching change. But the supposedly brilliant Cooper just re-upped.

Yowza.

As for Pittsburgh, I smelled something rotten in the state of Crosby when they traded the solid Tanner Pearson for human pylon Erik Gurdbranson. It's true that the refs flush their whistles down the crapper once the playoffs begin, but you still need to be able to skate FFS.

13 hours ago, lazy26 said:

Common sense dictated that should have been the way to go.  Also, the 'padding your stats in meaningless games angers the hockey gods' factor comes into play.  Glad they are being humiliated.

48 minutes ago, Neech said:

Maybe good Ontario boy Stamkos isn't a real leader and gutless Russian Kucherov doesn't play enough defense.  They should swap them out with Shaw and Lekhonen.

I think Drouin and Alzner would be a better fit for them.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Absolutely incredible.

If you're the Tampa GM, what do you do? You have one of the greatest regular season teams ever assembled and it goes out easily in Round One. Do you keep the group together and keep the faith? Do you contemplate major surgery? Or do you look to make 1-2 key moves that transform the team into a 'playoff' oriented group? 

The easiest thing to do would be a coaching change. But the supposedly brilliant Cooper just re-upped.

Yowza.

As for Pittsburgh, I smelled something rotten in the state of Crosby when they traded the solid Tanner Pearson for human pylon Erik Gurdbranson. It's true that the refs flush their whistles down the crapper once the playoffs begin, but you still need to be able to skate FFS.

In tampa, you keep the team together and don't overreact to what happens in a small sample size where Hedman was playing hurt (and finally sat) and you were also missing Stralman. 

You move out Ryan Callahan to create cap space (and if Bergevin can't get the LHD that he wants, this should be an avenue he explores ala the Armia trade to get a good young forward propsect out of Tampa).... and then Tampa should use the space to replace Stralman on their defence and go after it again. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

In tampa, you keep the team together and don't overreact to what happens in a small sample size where Hedman was playing hurt (and finally sat) and you were also missing Stralman. 

You move out Ryan Callahan to create cap space (and if Bergevin can't get the LHD that he wants, this should be an avenue he explores ala the Armia trade to get a good young forward propsect out of Tampa).... and then Tampa should use the space to replace Stralman on their defence and go after it again. 

I think taking Callahan for a year is an excellent idea. What does it take to get Cal Foote? 

6 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Common sense dictated that should have been the way to go.  Also, the 'padding your stats in meaningless games angers the hockey gods' factor comes into play.  Glad they are being humiliated.

They did wind up sitting some guys in the end.  Vasilevskiy sat 2 of the last 3 (including the Montreal game) while Point sat the last game as well.  (Plus Hedman and Stralman who were hurt which limited their ability to rest someone like McDonagh.) 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

This is good, calm advice. There may be an odd analogy here with another team Yzerman was associated with - i.e., all those Detroit teams that took forever to get over the hump. Detroit stayed faithful to their core and eventually made it. San Jose is the obverse case.

I don't think the loss of Hedman and Strahlman is really an excuse for crapping out like they have. Championship-calibre teams can ride out injuries, or at least be highly competitive with them. There's a deeper issue there of some kind.

Pulling the goalie vs Habs in game 80 or 81 seemed a bit much and is a given, that there will be vast majority of HabFans cheering on Columbus tomorrow.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Pulling the goalie vs Habs in game 80 or 81 seemed a bit much and is a given, that there will be vast majority of HabFans cheering on Columbus tomorrow.

That didn't bother me in the slightest - in fact, I prefer to see the Habs being treated as serious competitors rather than charity cases - but I get that for some reason, some people found it some sort of mortal offence against human decency that the other team tried its best to win a hockey game against us. It also seems to me that since Columbus was the team that did more than any to knock us out, it's not self-evident that we should be cheering for them. But in truth this series to me is mostly interesting from an analytical rather than emotional point of view, in that it's fascinating to see as dominant a team as TB suddenly roll over and die.

The Canes just wiped the floor with the Caps. Outshot them 30-6 (and a few of those 6 from the blueline in desperation) and outscored them 4-0 in the last two periods. If that doesn't give them the momentum for game 4, nothing will.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But in truth this series to me is mostly interesting from an analytical rather than emotional point of view, in that it's fascinating to see as dominant a team as TB suddenly roll over and die.

I'll second that. It's fascinating ... but in the end, I don't really care all THAT much about what the outcome is!

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is good, calm advice. There may be an odd analogy here with another team Yzerman was associated with - i.e., all those Detroit teams that took forever to get over the hump. Detroit stayed faithful to their core and eventually made it. San Jose is the obverse case.

I don't think the loss of Hedman and Strahlman is really an excuse for crapping out like they have. Championship-calibre teams can ride out injuries, or at least be highly competitive with them. There's a deeper issue there of some kind.

I don't know that there is a deeper issue. Even the best teams can have a three game slump. I'd be very hesitant to say its anything more than that at this point. Especially when goaltending has been a huge factor in this series. The two-time Vezina winner has outplayed Vasilevskiy (who likely gets his first Vezina this year). Columbus with all their trade deadline moves is also better than a typical 8 seed. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:58 PM, lazy26 said:

Is it that simple? I assume CBJ didn't rest anyone.

I think it has more to do with CBJ playing playoff hockey since early Feb. TB hasn't had any pressure since Nov.

Yea, not playing meaningful games for amonth like Calgary seems to have slowed them down. 

Columbus actually has a very loaded roster, especially after the trade deadline