2019 NHL Playoffs

DON

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lightning not canes

Duh! You are right ...

And three (!) EN goals at the end to finish the Lightning season with a 7-3 loss and a first-round sweep.

Now, is that better or worse than how the Sens fans feel? :blink:

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Pacioretty is putting up some points.  So much for cracking under pressure.  Casperetti . Max patioready.  All just nonsense.  

4g 10pts in 4gms, not too shabby! I like seeing him do well.

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Pacioretty is putting up some points.  So much for cracking under pressure.  Casperetti . Max patioready.  All just nonsense.  

100%. 

In Montreal, he was expected to drive the offence. Ridiculous. He's not that kind of player.

In Vegas, he is playing with better linemates than he ever has in his life and is no longer asked to be the catalyst for the FW unit.

He's still the same player, but the expectations and context are different. 

Also, he's finally gotten on one of his hot spells during a playoff run. Commandant always said it was a roulette wheel as to whether and when that would happen, and now it has.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

100%. 

In Montreal, he was expected to drive the offence. Ridiculous. He's not that kind of player.

In Vegas, he is playing with better linemates than he ever has in his life and is no longer asked to be the catalyst for the FW unit.

He's still the same player, but the expectations and context are different. 

Also, he's finally gotten on one of his hot spells during a playoff run. Commandant always said it was a roulette wheel as to whether and when that would happen, and now it has.

Ya this is sort of what I'm pointing out. He hit the streak at the right time this time.

30 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Ya this is sort of what I'm pointing out. He hit the streak at the right time this time.

Indeed. 

The Habs have had a history over recent decades of asking the wrong players to be true core pieces driving the team. It started with Brisebois, a quality second-pairing guy miscast as a #1 defenceman. Then we asked Kovalev to be the key cog rather tgan a deadly supplementary piece - a crazy thing to ask of a notoriously mercurial player. Next it was relying on a very good, but very streaky, goal-scorer to carry the team in Patches. 

What you need from your foundation pieces is consistently strong performance. Not 'hoping they get hot at the right time.' Fans get angry when a guy like Patches doesn't deliver, but they too seldom ask why he is expected to carry the load in the first place.

20 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Same with Sergei Bobrovsky being bad in the playoffs. 

Clutch is a myth.

8 hours ago, huzer said:

Man, that was an entertaining Flames/Avs game!!

Great to see them beat Flames, another upset would be neat.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, DON said:

Great to see them beat Flames, another upset would be neat.

You got your wish.  With all of these contenders going down, who is the favourite to win the Cup at this point?

14 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Death, taxes, and the Leafs/Bruins playoff series going to 7 games. 

I'm terrified that history will fail to repeat itself and that the Leafs will advance. Here's hoping they immolate.

On 20/04/2019 at 2:19 PM, dlbalr said:

You got your wish.  With all of these contenders going down, who is the favourite to win the Cup at this point?

Washington I guess.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Hate to say Bruins, but.

In the battle of Hitler (Leafs) vs Stalin (Bruins), I always choose Stalin. But once this series is over, it's imperative that its winner suffer crushing defeat.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In the battle of Hitler (Leafs) vs Stalin (Bruins), I always choose Stalin. But once this series is over, it's imperative that its winner suffer crushing defeat.

It’s like picking between your crazy ex and your mother in law

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Washington I guess.

Gone now, too.

That's three of four division winners taken down by wildcard teams this year. And the Predators have are tied with Dallas midway through game 7 of the remaining wildcard match-up.