2019 NHL Playoffs

DON

On 5/7/2019 at 8:27 PM, Richard09 said:

And the winner of the 2019 Stanley Cup ...."The Refs"....honestly they have more say in this year's playoffs than in any before.  The NHL does not have player safety so I am looking forward to them loosing that lawsuit from the players. 

Than any before ... that's a pretty sweeping statement. Maybe more than the last few years. But referees have been making questionable (and bad) calls for more than 100 years. It's part of this sport, and almost every other sport.

I'm all for either the Blues or the Sharks. Especially the Blues. Both are strong hockey cities and both franchises are similar in that they tend to ice quality teams year in and year out, without winning it all. The Blues are long-suffering and their fanbase is long overdue. They're a classy franchise that deserves it.

Carolina is a nice team but I hate these artificial markets that only care about hockey when their team goes on a run. Too many such markets have won Cups in the Bettman era.

As for Boston, they are Beelzebub to the Leafs' Satan. An asteroid can't land on the team soon enough to suit me.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Carolina is a nice team but I hate these artificial markets that only care about hockey when their team goes on a run. Too many such markets have won Cups in the Bettman era.

I'm curious to learn which market you'd describe as "artificial" since 93, the year Bettman took over.

Montreal

NYR

NJD

Colorado

Detroit

Dallas

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Anaheim

Pittsburgh

Chicago

Boston

Los Angeles

Washington

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Tampa, Carolina, Dallas and Anaheim. But when you write then all down, you see that it didn't happen that much at all. 

All true. The problem, I now see, was that they all happened in quick succession. For some reason.

Colorado’s status might still be unclear too. How deeply rooted is their support? Any fool could cheer for those Roy/Forsberg teams.

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Tampa, Carolina, Dallas and Anaheim. But when you write then all down, you see that it didn't happen that much at all. 

Given that Anaheim is only about 40 km from LA, I can accept that as a growth of what the Kings have started.

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Can anyone stop the Bruins?

Pretty please - ?

:1vomit:

I think the canes can. They played some great hockey for two periods. They got outplayed in the third, but I felt they controlled ther first two periods.  They have a great system. Short pass puck support up and down the ice. Strong defense. Questionable goaltending is an issue. Rask has been incredible for a few games though so none of that matters if he continues to dominate.  

I'm ok with Boston taking out Carolina, but then losing in the Final to the Sharks.  Seeing Joe Thornton get a cup would offset my disgust at seing Erik Karlsson hoist it, and having Joe beat the team that traded him away in the Final would be poetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Can anyone stop the Bruins?

Pretty please - ?

:1vomit:

Not this year; but HEY...still better than a Leaf win, I guess.:(

13 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I'm ok with Boston taking out Carolina, but then losing in the Final to the Sharks.  Seeing Joe Thornton get a cup would offset my disgust at seing Erik Karlsson hoist it, and having Joe beat the team that traded him away in the Final would be poetic.

Karlsson is one of my favorite players in the league. He is my favorite defenseman by far.  I would live to ser him win it. 

I don't understand the hate-on for Karlsson either - except maybe the hair. 

I definitely wanted the Bruins to beat the Leafs. But with Hitler fallen someone now has to take out Stalin. Anyone!!! And relying on the Sharks in the Finals is cutting it too close for me.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't understand the hate-on for Karlsson either - except maybe the hair. 

I definitely wanted the Bruins to beat the Leafs. But with Hitler fallen someone now has to take out Stalin. Anyone!!! And relying on the Sharks in the Finals is cutting it too close for me.

I like a D-man that drives offense as much as the next guy, BUT, for me they have to be solid in their own end too (not 'great' but generally good at least).  It bothered me to see him win that Norris over more reliable D-men, and that soured me on him some.  The thought of him winning over Doughty or Weber does not sit well  with me.  The WAG drama in Ottawa was the icing on my dislike for Karlsson cake, so to speak.  The cherry on said cake would be the greasy skid-esque hair.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would sicken me to see Boston win as well, but I think the Sharks will handle them.  If St. Louis somehow makes the final though...I will wish Carolina had dispatched Boston.

17 hours ago, sbhatt said:

It would sicken me to see Boston win as well, but I think the Sharks will handle them.  If St. Louis somehow makes the final though...I will wish Carolina had dispatched Boston.

Seeing Thornton win it - especially IN BOSTON - would make up for all the horrible anxiety I feel at the thought of the Bruins (and especially that puke Marchand and attempted-murderer pus-bag scum-sucker Chara) winning another Cup. But I'd prefer that it never got that far in the first place. Everyone can whoop it up for Carolina's underdog story, but they are a fraudulent franchise and we're now seeing, somewhat predictably, Cinderella turn into a pumpkin. I'd have rather had a really strong team meet Boston in the semi-finals. Bah.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seeing Thornton win it - especially IN BOSTON - would make up for all the horrible anxiety I feel at the thought of the Bruins (and especially that puke Marchand and attempted-murderer pus-bag scum-sucker Chara) winning another Cup. But I'd prefer that it never got that far in the first place. Everyone can whoop it up for Carolina's underdog story, but they are a fraudulent franchise and we're now seeing, somewhat predictably, Cinderella turn into a pumpkin. I'd have rather had a really strong team meet Boston in the semi-finals. Bah.

I don't blame Carolina.  I think that all the teams in the Metro had their flaws this year.  Washington had flaws, the Islanders had flaws, Carolina, Pittsburgh. 

The best 2 teams in the East were Tampa and Boston.  Once Tampa went out on the upset, the path to the finals for Boston was cleared IMO.  I'm hoping its San Jose, cause they have the best chance to stop them IMO. That said, I do think St. Louis has a chance as well (but Boston would be favoured).

The fraudsters have definitely come out swinging tonight, outhitting and outshooting the Bruins through the first. Only Rask has been able to stop them.

Now, whether they can keep it up for the next 40 minutes is another question.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Rask MVP for sure, unless the finals are something completely different.

Will it be a sweep?

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The fraudsters have definitely come out swinging tonight, outhitting and outshooting the Bruins through the first. Only Rask has been able to stop them.

Now, whether they can keep it up for the next 40 minutes is another question.

Just to be clear, it's the franchise that's a fraud - a weak expansion team with no deep fan or community support - not this group of players.

Anyhow it's all moot. I believe nothing will stop the Bruins. :1vomit: Hope I'm wrong.