2019 NHL Playoffs

DON

On 5/17/2019 at 12:03 AM, BCHabnut said:

Carolina really put up a fight against Boston.  Hahaha. 

Bruins are a juggernaut now because they peaked at the perfect time.  Their cup to lose and I don't see anyone stopping them.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Verrry interesting. Small sample size, but does this suggest the Habs' problem lies in something other than coaching and systems? I'm a huge Muller loyalist, admittedly.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Verrry interesting. Small sample size, but does this suggest the Habs' problem lies in something other than coaching and systems? I'm a huge Muller loyalist, admittedly.

It also suggests that scoring goals against teams like Denmark and Great Britain is a little easier than doing so against NHL squads.   So I'm not sure how big a conclusion to draw from it. 

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

It also suggests that scoring goals against teams like Denmark and Great Britain is a little easier than doing so against NHL squads.   So I'm not sure how big a conclusion to draw from it. 

If I counted correctly ...

0/1 vs Finland

2/3 vs Great Britain

1/3 vs France

3/4 vs Slovakia

3/4 vs Germany

0/2 vs USA

2/2 vs Denmark

One could argue that Finland and USA have NHL-calibre teams, but then against those teams the power play id not score a goal ...

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

0/1 vs Finland

2/3 vs Great Britain

1/3 vs France

3/4 vs Slovakia

3/4 vs Germany

0/2 vs USA

2/2 vs Denmark

One could argue that Finland and USA have NHL-calibre teams, but then against those teams the power play id not score a goal ...

Lol that shows how meaningless this little stat is.  I'm dubious of a powerplay coach's influence in these short tournaments with haphazard rosters, you'd be more inclined to see those sorts of results over the course of a season with an established group.

WIth Joe Thornton out of the picture, I'm left not caring about the outcome much.  My ideal scenario is that the Blues win in 7, with Boston's top line racking up points for me in my hockey pool on the road to a heartbreaking defeat.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

WIth Joe Thornton out of the picture, I'm left not caring about the outcome much.  My ideal scenario is that the Blues win in 7, with Boston's top line racking up points for me in my hockey pool on the road to a heartbreaking defeat.

How can you not "care much" whether those reprobates, those jabbernowls, those scum-sucking, filth-chewing, stench-emitting, bile-spewing, face-licking bags of festering dog pus, the mother-frigging Boston Bruins, win yet another Cup? I propose that you have your lifetime membership in Habs nation revoked!!

GO BLUES GO!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How can you not "care much" whether those reprobates, those jabbernowls, those scum-sucking, filth-chewing, stench-emitting, bile-spewing, face-licking bags of festering dog pus, the mother-frigging Boston Bruins, win yet another Cup? I propose that you have your lifetime membership in Habs nation revoked!!

GO BLUES GO!!!!!!!!!!!

I dislike the black and gold as much as anyone, but I don't like any of the Blues players enough to get emotionally invested in the Final.

On 5/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

GO BLUES GO!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a lot to like. They are the last of the 67 expansion teams to not win a Cup (California became Cleveland then merged into Minnesota who moved to Dallas), they are not the Boston Bruins, they have the "rookie goalie leads the team to the Cup" story that used to happen once a decade but now happens more frequently (Dryden, Roy, Brodeur was a sophomore, Ward, Niemi, Murray), they were the worst team in the NHL at one point, Larry Robinson is behind the bench and would get another ring for his career, and Jaden Schwartz has scored 12 goals in 19 playoff games when he had scored 11 goals in 69 regular season games.

I'm all in on the Blues. I was so worried I'd have to choose between the Bruins and Joe Thornton.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There's a lot to like. They are the last of the 67 expansion teams to not win a Cup (California became Cleveland then merged into Minnesota who moved to Dallas), they are not the Boston Bruins, they have the "rookie goalie leads the team to the Cup" story that used to happen once a decade but now happens more frequently (Dryden, Roy, Brodeur was a sophomore, Ward, Niemi, Murray), they were the worst team in the NHL at one point, Larry Robinson is behind the bench and would get another ring for his career, and Jaden Schwartz has scored 12 goals in 19 playoff games when he had scored 11 goals in 69 regular season games.

I'm all in on the Blues. I was so worried I'd have to choose between the Bruins and Joe Thornton.

Hey, I'm a fan of the Blues. In fact a wrote a little blurb in praise of them a year or two ago when the Habs were facing them (can't seem to locate it now, alas). Many commentaries seem to frame them as a bland, forgettable franchise. But as you say, there are THE story of the NHL's second half over 2018-19 and - if they win - probably one of the greatest stories, ever. How many teams come back from last overall on January 1 to win the Stanley Cup?

But beyond that, the Blues, far from being a "bland, forgettable franchise" in general, are an admirable franchise. They're part of that classic first-wave of expansion and are indelibly associated with that great era because of their multiple Finals appearances. They never tank. They're almost always competitive. Their fan-base is dead loyal (and seems to be comparatively free of the incessant whining and self-pity of Vancouver, despite being a similarly sad sack organization in terms of playoff luck). You never hear about ownership trouble; and also never hear any hysterics or drama from that quarter, unlike in cities like Montreal, Ottawa, or Toronto when things go awry. They've had tons of classic players, many of whom retire in the community and retain a deep connection with the team. They have a fine old-school crest and jersey, have one of the league's best team names. What the flippant call "bland" seems to me to be a great expansion success story and a quiet class act.

Can they beat the Bruins? They'll be underdogs, but they play that heavy, grinding style that playoff hockey favours, and they do have that elusive Team of Destiny air. I think that IF they can avoid the basic trap of feeling fulfilled just because they made the Finals - that is, if they can stay as hungry for a Cup as they were to make it here - they have a solid chance.

• Upvote 1

A lot of people were talking about Thornton going back and potentially facing the Bruins in a final but not many people are talking about the fact that Backes is going back to face the old tram he captained in St. Louis. Should be an interesting feeling for him. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, tomh009 said:

0/1 vs Finland

2/3 vs Great Britain

1/3 vs France

3/4 vs Slovakia

3/4 vs Germany

0/2 vs USA

2/2 vs Denmark

I'll add to this ... in the playoff round here are the PP stats:

0/1 vs Switzerland

0/0 vs Czech Republic

0/3 vs Finland

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I'll add to this ... in the playoff round here are the PP stats:

0/1 vs Switzerland

0/0 vs Czech Republic

0/3 vs Finland

Eep. Doesn't look good for Captain Kirk...

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Eep. Doesn't look good for Captain Kirk...

I'd say it looks pretty much as we'd expect, based on the 2018-19 Habs power play ...

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very depressing result last night.

The East was by far the superior conference all season long, and it's looking as though the Finals are continuing that trend. :(

The East is solid these days.

If Florida gets Bobrovsky and Panarin, the Atlantic is an absolute power house. Not good news for the Habs.... Unless we can pry Huberdeau from Florida, because of cap. 

Edited by Habber31

St Louis grinds out a surprising win in B-town (to which the Bruins respond with the crybaby whining that has always been their hypocritical signature).

Fingers crossed that they can put those steaming bags of vile dog poop into the trash can for good on Sunday. What a party that will be in St Louis!!