2019 NHL Playoffs

DON

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Trading someone from the forward group for a top 4 defenseman is not a huge risk. More UFA forwards available than defensemen, plus Suzuki could make a case for a forward spot by mid-season.

Someone ... maybe yes. But price for a top-pair D would likely be high. Would a second-pair D still make a big difference? (I picked out Lindell and Trouba as their upcoming RFA statuses could possibly allow us to trade for one of them for a more reasonable price.)

2 hours ago, DON said:

Sens gave up;

The Senators sent goaltender Andrew Hammond, their first-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft and third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, and forward Shane Bowers, their first-round pick (No. 28) in the 2017 NHL Draft, to Colorado. Nashville sent the Avalanche a second-round pick in 2018, 19-year-old defenseman Samuel Girard, a second-round selection (No. 46) in the 2016 NHL Draft, and forward Vladislav Kamenev, a second-round choice (No. 42) in 2014.

How are Aves doing vs how are Sens doing?

Then Columbus gives up 2 1st round picks for him, as a rental...you really wanted to make a bigger bid for him than either of those teams? And Sens wouldnt likely deal with Habs to begin with.

Would you be willing to overpay this off-season to outbid everyone for Duchene?

We're fine at C organizationally and do not need Duchene IMHO. 

We're not fine at D organizationally and therefore do need to crack that nut.

Our center line looks the best it has in years, and with Poehling and Suzuki adding themselves in the crowded mix, it looks even better. Our LD situation however has looked like its worst in years, so I have to ask, what makes you guys think the extra cap we have gathered should be spent on yet another Center, instead of a top 4 LD? Unless this team plans on using Domi or Danault in a trade for a LD, then I would understand signing Duchene as a replacement, otherwise I just don't get it, and would consider it an ill advised move, personally.

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Our center line looks the best it has in years, and with Poehling and Suzuki adding themselves in the crowded mix, it looks even better. Our LD situation however has looked like its worst in years, so I have to ask, what makes you guys think the extra cap we have gathered should be spent on yet another Center, instead of a top 4 LD? Unless this team plans on using Domi or Danault in a trade for a LD, then I would understand signing Duchene as a replacement, otherwise I just don't get it, and would consider it an ill advised move, personally.

Duchene also spent time on the wing in Colorado and impact wingers is also an area of need.  If (and it's a big if) the Habs were to sign Duchene, it's certainly possible that he could be the LW on a line with Domi, shifting over after taking the faceoff or something like that.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:26 PM, dlbalr said:

Duchene also spent time on the wing in Colorado and impact wingers is also an area of need.  If (and it's a big if) the Habs were to sign Duchene, it's certainly possible that he could be the LW on a line with Domi, shifting over after taking the faceoff or something like that.

Yes. In a perfect world he'd do that.

But I do think that defence is a much, much higher priority.

On 28/04/2019 at 6:26 PM, dlbalr said:

That's a good argument and would justify signing him. I do fret a bit about his inconsistency; he's always a reasonably productive guy, but you can't pencil him in for PPG seasons, even though he'll get paid like a PPG player. We should count on maybe 60 points from him if we do sign him. But he'd be an upgrade at LW for sure.

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's a good argument and would justify signing him. I do fret a bit about his inconsistency; he's always a reasonably productive guy, but you can't pencil him in for PPG seasons, even though he'll get paid like a PPG player. We should count on maybe 60 points from him if we do sign him. But he'd be an upgrade at LW for sure.

But do we really want to go through the whole Center is playing Wing thing again? Lol

tenor.gif?itemid=3661311

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Does anyone care who wins the blues vs stars series.:popcorn:

I do. St Louis is an amazing story - last OVERALL at the end of December, now gunning for the Conference Finals. But more to the point, St Louis is a strong franchise. They're almost always competitive, year in and year out. They've never indulged in 'tanking.' We never hear of problems with the market despite having won exactly zilch since 1968. They also have a cool, old-fashioned name and crest. Basically they have quietly been an admirable franchise for a long time. By contrast, Dallas is another 'artificial' franchise., like Carolina or Florida, that seems never to have taken deep root and only gets people caring about them when they're on a run. St Louis as a city deserves a Cup. Dallas doesn't.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Cale Makar has looked great this playoff. I think the Avs have something there. Some forward depth, and they could be great real soon.

Agreed.  They are a scorer for the 2nd line away from being a top tier team IMO.

On 03/05/2019 at 7:03 PM, DON said:

Carolina $16.3m in cap room, most in NHL, Aves is 3rd with $11.0m.

Carolina is a bit of an enigma. I heard one analyst argue that they have an organizational philosophy of favouring advanced stats instead of spending big money on big-name management. But maybe they've just caught lightning in a bottle; or maybe they are one of those teams, like the '86 Habs, with a lot of good young players who round into form at the right time and surprise. For my part, I knew they were a 'sneaky good' team but I never say them as Conference finalists!

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Carolina is a bit of an enigma. I heard one analyst argue that they have an organizational philosophy of favouring advanced stats instead of spending big money on big-name management. But maybe they've just caught lightning in a bottle; or maybe they are one of those teams, like the '86 Habs, with a lot of good young players who round into form at the right time and surprise. For my part, I knew they were a 'sneaky good' team but I never say them as Conference finalists!

There advanced stats have been great for several years now and they have been sunk by Cam Ward and Scott Darling being amongst the worst starting goalies in hockey.  Their defence is outstanding.  Deep and 1-7 they can all play.  The forwards are sneaky good, with all four lines having threats... no real "grinder line". I like the makeup of the team a lot. 

Still not convinced on Mrazek and McElhinney as a goalie tandem, but they have given them league average goaltending right now, and that was what they have needed (and not gotten) for several years.

As long as the goaltending can hold up, the underlying metrics on the rest of their roster, the age of the players, and the cap situation, suggest this is a sustainable situation.  Of course I don't know how long the goaltending can hold up past this year. 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There advanced stats have been great for several years now and they have been sunk by Cam Ward and Scott Darling being amongst the worst starting goalies in hockey.  Their defence is outstanding.  Deep and 1-7 they can all play.  The forwards are sneaky good, with all four lines having threats... no real "grinder line". I like the makeup of the team a lot. 

Still not convinced on Mrazek and McElhinney as a goalie tandem, but they have given them league average goaltending right now, and that was what they have needed (and not gotten) for several years.

As long as the goaltending can hold up, the underlying metrics on the rest of their roster, the age of the players, and the cap situation, suggest this is a sustainable situation.  Of course I don't know how long the goaltending can hold up past this year. 

Thanks for that great insight. Their D is what really impressed me when I watched them play the Habs. Really a "new model" NHL configuration. (That said, I don't want the Canes to win, because I hate it when marginal markets win Cups).

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

McElhinney was a nice steal by Carolina, he has been solid (if not elite) for two years, and has now played very well in three playoff games.

A similar scenario to what the Habs had with Niemi last year, claiming an experienced backup off waivers ... unfortunately Niemi was not able to maintain that form this year, whereas McElhinney was.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

McElhinney was a nice steal by Carolina, he has been solid (if not elite) for two years, and has now played very well in three playoff games.

A similar scenario to what the Habs had with Niemi last year, claiming an experienced backup off waivers ... unfortunately Niemi was not able to maintain that form this year, whereas McElhinney was.

Sure, but looking at his history, would you expect a third year (not to mention he's about to hit UFA as is Mrazek), the Canes likely sign one or the other, and given pedigree and age, thats likely Mrazek IMO. 

That said, even Mrazek you can't be 100% confident in year to year.  

These average/mediocre goalies have shown to get hot one year and down the next throughout the league.  The difference in a Carey Price is that while he'll have a down year (2017-18), its one season after a run of 4-5 good ones.... not an every other year situation. 

And the winner of the 2019 Stanley Cup ...."The Refs"....honestly they have more say in this year's playoffs than in any before.  The NHL does not have player safety so I am looking forward to them loosing that lawsuit from the players. 

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

A Sharks/Bruins final would have a lot of drama, but I think I'm gonna cheer for a Battle of the Unlikelies: Blues vs Jerks.  

Jerks 100%

I'd be happy to see either Sharks or Blues make it to the finals. Would be pretty cool to see Jumbo Joe lift the cup too! I'm also a pretty big Hertl fan