2019 Free Agents: Who goes? Who stays? What's the price?

Trizzak

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I am a bit surprised with that one.  I figured they were just going to cut bait.  Will they try to flip him at the draft for a late-round pick now?

No surprises here...

If Audette doesn't get a two-way NHL contract elsewhere I could see him coming back on an AHL deal. 

27 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

If Audette doesn't get a two-way NHL contract elsewhere I could see him coming back on an AHL deal. 

He and Bouchard didn't see eye to eye, especially at the beginning of the season.  I'd bring him back on an AHL deal myself but I think he'd to like Jeremy Gregoire and sign one elsewhere if it comes down to taking a minor league contract.

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Reports are out that Hudon was given a qualifying offer but he rejected it. Seems he intends to do anything he can to get traded out of Montreal. 

Even if he "rejects" it.  The Habs need to keep it on the table through mid july (i'm too tired to look up the exact date in the CBA) in order that he stays RFA.  If they pull the QO before the date he is UFA. 

So he could be "rejecting" it now to see if a cheap offer sheet comes, or he can get a trade or something... and could circle back and sign it later if he doesn't find something. 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Even if he "rejects" it.  The Habs need to keep it on the table through mid july (i'm too tired to look up the exact date in the CBA) in order that he stays RFA.  If they pull the QO before the date he is UFA. 

So he could be "rejecting" it now to see if a cheap offer sheet comes, or he can get a trade or something... and could circle back and sign it later if he doesn't find something. 

Cheap offer sheet doesn't help him. No team will offer him enough to trigger any kind of compensation for Montreal, so the Habs would just match it anyway.

I think he's just going public with the message, "#### you, trade me."

Hudon turned down a qualifying offer. Honestly I say good for him. I've always been high on Hudon and thought he would have been a phenomenal top 9 guy. Top 6 if he was given time to develop. Unfortunately for him, the Habs had a gluttony of wingers that were either better, or better suited for a role on the bottom line. I think of Hudon as a better Sven Andrighetto. I still think now he's capable of a 50 point season if he just gets the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

I still think now he's capable of a 50 point season if he just gets the opportunity.

Kinda agree, he had solid offense in his rookie year, 10g 30pts in 72gms (with limited icetime).

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Cheap offer sheet doesn't help him. No team will offer him enough to trigger any kind of compensation for Montreal, so the Habs would just match it anyway.

I think he's just going public with the message, "#### you, trade me."

If a team offered him $1.35 million (no compensation), I think they'd let him walk.

As for thinking this is a public trade request, I think they've been trying to trade him for months now.  At one point, his agent thought he may have been going to Arizona in the Weal trade if I remember correctly.  Trying to go public doesn't help if they're already trying to find a place for him.

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Looks like McCarron will be back in Laval.

That contract situation is starting to look a little crowded - 40 + Armia, Lehkonen, Hudon, and McCarron at least (we still don't know for sure with Reilly).  Knowing they will want to keep some slots open, that doesn't leave much space for free agents as things stand.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That contract situation is starting to look a little crowded - 40 + Armia, Lehkonen, Hudon, and McCarron at least (we still don't know for sure with Reilly).  Knowing they will want to keep some slots open, that doesn't leave much space for free agents as things stand.

So a trade(s) with maybe more contracts going out than in, seems more likely than significant free agency buy.

20 minutes ago, DON said:

So a trade(s) with maybe more contracts going out than in, seems more likely than significant free agency buy.

If you do a trade, maybe trade a player or two for future draft choices, that'll also potentially make room for a UFA.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If you do a trade, maybe trade a player or two for future draft choices, that'll also potentially make room for a UFA.

But, think Bergevin quoted today said "I want a d". And not much on free agent market for left-side- Gardiner & Benn are tops I think.

3 hours ago, DON said:

But, think Bergevin quoted today said "I want a d". And not much on free agent market for left-side- Gardiner & Benn are tops I think.

And clearly Benn is not it. So it's Gardiner or a trade (hello, Mr Gostisbehere ...)

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Commandant predicted $850K for Reilly. He also predicted a Hudon trade, and no offers for Shinkaruk, Lernout, Ouellet or Audette. We shall see ...

Ouellet is signed so i got that wrong, but I hit on the other 3. 

We'll see on Reilly. 

I think they are gonna free up a spot with a Hudon trade. 

One of our FAs will be a backup goalie. 

Then I think we trade a forward for a D. 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:52 AM, Commandant said:

Predictions:

Daniel Audette (walks, no qualifying offer)

Hunter Shinkurak (walks, no qualifying offer)

Mike Reilly (stays 850,000 per year)

Brett Lernout (walks, no qualifying offer)

Well, 3 wins (QOs) one loss (I was too low on Reilly), since i last updated. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.habsworld.net/2019/07/michael-mccarrons-qualifying-offer-expires/

As per the final paragraph of the article, McCarron MUST be trying for more AHL money, right?

I appreciate an athlete with the confidence/belief that they're a top talent, but two years in a row McCarron and his agent have played hard ball in negotiations and it's starting to come across as deluded. 

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

http://www.habsworld.net/2019/07/michael-mccarrons-qualifying-offer-expires/

As per the final paragraph of the article, McCarron MUST be trying for more AHL money, right?

I appreciate an athlete with the confidence/belief that they're a top talent, but two years in a row McCarron and his agent have played hard ball in negotiations and it's starting to come across as deluded. 

I thought that was the holdup when they went through this last year but at the end of the day, he simply accepted his QO value.  Part of me isn't surprised that it's happening again but given the year he had, he can't possibly believe he's going to be an NHL player to start next season.