Christian Folin re-signs

Trizzak

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not a bad deal.  He gets a bit of a raise and the Habs get some cheap insurance.  It's interesting - Julien didn't want to play him at first after the trade but when he went in, he never came out.

No raise, same contract as last year. Philly retained salary for some reason. 

I wonder if this signing fully shuts the door on Alzner starting the season in Montreal. I thought they might try pairing him with Juulsen again, but Folin there as the 7th D seems to suggest no room will be left on the roster.

Nice to hear, hopefully pushes Reilly to free agency.

Will Benn ask for too much $$ to stay, or will even make him an offer?

Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Folin on right side

Mete, Benn, Kulak on left side

Be great to see Mete pushed to 2nd pairing by some quality newcomer.

34 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

No raise, same contract as last year. Philly retained salary for some reason. 

I wonder if this signing fully shuts the door on Alzner starting the season in Montreal. I thought they might try pairing him with Juulsen again, but Folin there as the 7th D seems to suggest no room will be left on the roster.

I forgot about Philly retaining as it didn't make a lot of sense on the surface so I sort of wiped that from memory. 

The Habs know Alzner can clear waivers so they've probably already written him off for next season.  Why keep him as the 23rd guy on the roster when you can waive him and keep some other fringe guy that you're not sure would make it through unclaimed?

Benn is a goner if we upgrade the Left side with a solid acquisition, there would simply be no point having him and Kulak battle it out for the 3rd  pair spot. Mete and Petry would be an awesome pair, Kulak and Juulsen would be a good 3rd, and we would benefit greatly if a Bonafide top 3 Dman comes in to compliment Weber for those hard minutes.

Acquisition - Shea Weber

Mete - Petry

Kulak - Juulsen

Folin

Ideally this would allow us to take another step forward as a roster.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Link67 said:

Benn is a goner if we upgrade the Left side with a solid acquisition, there would simply be no point having him and Kulak battle it out for the 3rd  pair spot. Mete and Petry would be an awesome pair, Kulak and Juulsen would be a good 3rd, and we would benefit greatly if a Bonafide top 3 Dman comes in to compliment Weber for those hard minutes.

Acquisition - Shea Weber

Mete - Petry

Kulak - Juulsen

Folin

Mete might complement Weber better than Petry, and Weber is probably better at covering for his errors.  If we manage to land our fabled top 4 LD I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with Petry (unless it's Gardiner).